2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 12:50 AM by Mylenium

Timewarp and large files

RHE12

I have a specific time-lapse application that I had hoped to implement in After Effects CS5.5 using the Timewarp effect, but I am not sure whether AE can handle the file size? (I am working on a MacBook Pro.)

If AE can handle this project, I would appreciate step-by-step instructions to Timewarp a series of images as follows:

1. Images are 6400x4200 pixels, 8-bit tif files (approx. 75MB per image) - when I try to import, nothing seems to happen?
      2. I want to time-stretch using the Frame Mix option of Timewarp - when I try with smaller jpeg files, the time line stays constant length, and onlt the first section of the import displas slower.  How do you extend the timeline?
      3. I want to be able to choose to slow down the motion by (integer) factors of 2 - 5
      4. There can be as many as 1000 image in a sequence.
      5. I want to be able to export the images as an image sequence of full resolution tif files, as well a smaller jpeg files for a quicktime movie.
      6. I do not have the time or the inclination to become an expert with the software for this one apllication (but I do have it on my computer).

Is this workflow possible?

Any advice appreciated.

RHE12

• 1. Re: Timewarp and large files
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

RHE12 wrote:

I do not have the time or the inclination to become an expert with the software for this one apllication (but I do have it on my computer).

In which case, be prepared to wait a very long time for any meaningful help. 

I'm not trying to be rude, but step-by-step instructions for something that tricky to someone who knows absolutely nothing about the AE user interface and the arcane AE lingo is an exercise in near-futility.  It's a waste of people's time: both yours and especially ours.

I recommend you hire someone to do the work for you.  It will be best for all involved.

• 2. Re: Timewarp and large files
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

A lot is possible in AE, but time warping is extremely tricky since it depends a lot on the properties of the source footage and varies from shot to shot. It may even require additional steps for removing glitches or parts of the image that were accidentally captured. This could be pretty involved, even if you don't want to become an expert. So for what it's worth, you will have to read the help and watch some basic tutorials. Your description of your failed attempts alone clearly indicates that you haven't even bothered to look up comp settings or the most basic stuff about rendering and exporting. This simply cannot work.

Mylenium