26 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 1:54 PM by ECBowen

Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285

davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, I had posted about this about a month ago over in the main forum, and thought I had solved the problem, but it's back. Unfortunately I can't find my original post to resurrect it, as Jive seems to have wiped my post history beyond two weeks ago... :-(

Anyway, I bought PrPro 5.5 to work with RED Epic footage, and installed it alongside my 5.0.3 on Win 7x64 Ultimate. I ran all updates (5.5.2), and then on my first startup got the message that I wouldn't have CUDA support since there was no CUDA enabled card installed. I knew that wasn't right cause I used CUDA all the time in 5.0.3, so I checked and found my drivers were significantly out of date. I updated my nVidia drivers from nVidia's site, rebooted, and relaunched PrPro. Everything worked great. Until I had to export my first video. During export I consistently got an nVidia driver error, saying that my system resources didn't match what was required by the program (something about it couldn't get small enough packages for the video card to process), and it had to close. Closing the nVidia driver error box also force quit PrPro. I discovered that by running without CUDA I had no issues and could successfully export my video. However, I can't afford the time to run without CUDA as it significantly speeds up the processing time, especially with multiple layers of Epic footage.

So ultimately I did a complete wipe and reinstall of the entire system, starting with the most recent non-beta drivers available for the nVidia card, and put only 5.5 on the system and fully updated to 5.5.2. It recognized my CUDA card and there were no issues. I've worked off and on (very light work over Christmas) until today when I dug back into my big Epic project and started doing some basic scaling and speed adjustments on some clips, and some primary CC with the RGB CC and Three-Way CC. I frequently get the same nVidia error message that I had gotten before I did the wipe and re-install, and it's killing my workflow and productivity. I turned CUDA back off again this afternoon to get this one timeline finished and exported, but I really need it back.

What changed about CUDA support between 5.0.3 and 5.5.2 that has screwed things up with my GTX 285? And what do I need to do to fix things and get them back up and running? Before the wipe and reinstall I had tried multiple versions of the nVidia drivers, incluidng rolling back as far as I could go and keep CUDA support, and the new beta drivers that Ann and others had recommended. Unfortunately purchasing a newer graphics card probably isn't an option since I've already spent over $2300 in the last couple months on hardware and software upgrades.

As a refresher, my other system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-920 2.67GHz (no overclock)

12GB RAM

250GB SATA OS/Programs

500GB SATA Graphics/Pictures/Other stuff/Pagefile

3-disk SATA RAID-5 2TB Video Project Files

4-disk SATA RAID-5 8TB Video Data Files (PCIe RAID card)

1TB SATA Video Export/Encore Project files

4TB eSATA Data Backup (not currently in use)

400GB eSATA Project Backup (not currently in use)

Here is the additional spec information from my GTX285 card, pulled from the nVidia system information dialog:

Driver version: 285.62

DirectX Support: 10

DirectX Runtime Version: 11

CUDA Cores: 240

Graphics Clock: 648 MHz

Processor Clock: 1476MHz

Memory Clock 1242MHz (2484 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 512-bit

Total available graphics memory: 4095MB

Dedicated video memory: 1024MB GDDR3

System video memory: 0MB

Shared system memory: 3071MB

Video BIOS version: 62.0.58.00.03

IRQ: 30

BUS: PCI Express x16 Gen2

• 1. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok.... I just turned CUDA back on and ran it as hard as I could (Secondary CC, etc.) to make it crash again. Here's the screenshot of the error message:

Untitled-1.png

And here's the detailed info from the nVidia page referenced in the error message:

------------------------------

OpenGL message "hardware does not meet minimum specifications"

I have seen this Event Log Message:

Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application. The application must close.

What does it mean?

The most common cause for this issue is that the application was unable to continue due to hardware limitations. The workload the application sent to the Graphics Card could not be broken into small enough pieces to be processed.

How can this be fixed?

Verify you are running the most recent driver for your application. Drivers certified by Professional Software vendors can be found herehttp://www.nvidia.com/page/partner_certified_drivers.html. If you application is not listed, install the most recent driver for your graphics board from www.nvidia.com/drivers. You should also check with your application provider for any updates or patches to your application.

You can also try manipulating a smaller image as you may be running out of video memory with extremely large images.  If none of these work, you likely need a more powerful Graphics Card to handle this application.

If you are certain that your graphics card meets the application hardware requirements and none of the above suggestions solve the problem, please file a support request here by clicking on "Ask a Question" near the top of this page. Please make sure to correct enter the operating system, the NVIDIA driver version, the application name and version, graphics board maker and model, along with the steps which were taken to make this issue appear.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, I've noticed that it generally happens ONLY after PrPro has eaten up more than 4GB of system memory (PrPro memory configuration is set to Performance and to allow PrPro access to 8GB of my 12GB of system memory):

Untitled-2.png

Does this info help anyone at all?

• 2. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
            Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

Have you tried the 290.53 beta drivers?

Maybe, I'm guessing here, the new caching algorithms in CS5.5 and the use of the frame buffer are causing this. I could be completely off-base here, but I think it might be worthwhile to file a bug report, if you can replicate this issue with other clips/sequences as well. If you can't replicate it, then we have to look at the specifics of your material and timeline.

• 3. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks, Harm. I had tried the beta drivers before the reinstall, but I can try them again. I just checked nVidia's certified partner list, and apparently the most recent actually certified drivers for use with CS5 (CS5.5 isn't listed at all) are 259.57... so I'm going to try rolling back to those first, and if those don't work, then I'll try the betas.

The problem is definitely NOT limited to this one timeline and media type. I've had it with RED Epic footage, JVC XDCAM-EX footage, and with a timeline comprised entirely of jpg still images, and across multiple projects. I'll go ahead and file a bug report, also, once I've tried the other drivers and can verify if they fix the issue or not.

Short of different drivers, is there a way to adjust the frame buffer for testing purposes? I had wondered if perhaps the shared system memory for the graphics card was causing the problem... the graphics card is taking 3GB and PrPro has been allotted 8GB, and together that makes up almost the total 12GB I have available, but I've discovered that it's not possible to adjust the shared graphics memory, as it's purely based on an algorithm involving the card type and system memory. I may, though, lower the amount of memory available to PrPro and see if that helps at all. The default was 4GB and I increased it to 8 myself...

• 4. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, well that was odd... I just tried to install the 259.57 drivers that nVidia says are the most recent approved drivers for Adobe, and after it began the setup it said I had no installed hardware that matched the drivers, so it would exit. Oh well. I'll try the beta's next...

• 5. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Guess what?

You are trying to install the wrong driver for your GPU. The 259.57 driver is only for certain Quadro GPUs. You need one for GeForce GPUs. Unfortunately, Adobe will not certify GeForce GPUs or drivers for certain applications that they recommend only Quadros for.

• 6. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                    Baz R Level 3

Hi,

have you installed the Red Epic Importer ??

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/redepic_importer/

This is the Nvidia driver list for you card:

GeForce 290.53 Driver BETA290.5321.12.2011
                    GeForce 290.36 Driver BETA290.3628.11.2011
                    GeForce 285.79 Driver BETA285.7910.11.2011
                    GeForce 285.62 Driver WHQL285.6224.10.2011

if non of the above work try using a different GPU,

Baz

• 7. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                      Darren Kelly Level 1

One of my first guesses would be that the 285 is too old in the tooth to handle the higher rez images you are working with - especially RED.

That error occurs when the size of the file is larger than the size of the sequence. In the graphics side, we can minimize it by using jpg's that are under HD size, and in jpeg resolutions.

I am using the latest beta drivers on a 570 and the system is stable enough to make it work well. I also use XDCAM EX from a JVC camera. No troubles.

I feel it is the card. Too few CUDA cores.

What happens if you turn off the Mercury Playback Engine? Is the system usable then?

• 8. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Darrens guess above based on my testing with with PPBM5 and then PPBM5.5 where Adobe added many new functions to the list of those that the GPU now has to do if you ask Premiere to use GPU hardware acceleration.  Just turn it off.   Also the GTX 285 has the slower GDDR3 memory.

• 9. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks guys...

Yes, e problems stop if I turn off cuda, but unfortunately it slows it down too much for my needs. It may be the deal with images too big for the timeline... I'm using 4k epic files on a 1080 red timeline because my b-roll is 1080... Perhaps I should do my primary edit on a 4k timeline and then export a 1080 lossless to bring back in on a 1080 timeline for b-roll... Thoughts? Unfortunately upgrading the graphics card isn't an option right now, but I will put it on the list for the next fiscal years budget...

• 10. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

So this morning when I came in I backed the PrPro memory allocation back down to 6GB (leaving 6GB for other programs) and so far I've not had any crashes, despite some heavy CC and cutting work... Let's hope that trend continues. I'm still working with 4k files on a 1080 timeline (though the timeline is a RED timeline, and it's the same parameters in regards to everything else).

If I can verify that it's a memory issue, I'll submit a bug report to Premiere... unless 12GB really is just too little to effectively work with this stuff, which I find hard to believe since I never had a problem with it before with 5.0.3 or earlier...

• 11. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285

I know you are not now generallyhaving problems with 12 GB but we (here at PPBM) found significant performance improvement by having slightly more than 12 GB.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Yeah… figures that more RAM helps… especially as I get into bigger files.

When I started with CS3 and HDV, 12GB was sufficient, but I’ll have to add

more to my budget request also… Too bad our budget year doesn’t start over

till July 1 L

Maybe I can get some more outside work to bring in a little extra mullah to

cover the cost.

Thanks, guys, for your help!

• 13. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                  Baz R Level 3

Hi

just an extra 2gb made a difference to my setup last year with cs5.

have a look at the ppbm5 old results.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, well I've gone a full day now, doing heavy CC on my Epic files, and had no more crashes... I must have inadvertently given PrPro too much memory to work with, thereby leaving too little memory available for the rest of the system, and somehow it affected the graphics card... perhaps because I had pushed it beyond what was available for the shared system memory? Anyway, backing PrPro down to 6GB seems to have solved the problem.

• 15. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                      MartyMiller

Holy Cow is this frustrating!  I am having this same issue, I tried David's suggestion of backing PP down to 6 GB and still getting this error and it's crippling my productivity.

My Specs:

Production Premium 5.5

Win7 64 Bit SP1

Intel Core i7 965 3.2 GHZ

12 GB RAM

nVidia Quadro FX4800 (Downloaded newest driver last night 276.42)

eSATA 2 TB RAID5

Picture sizes range from 2080x1384 to 4752x3168 and I'm just doing simple scale and position zooms and pans.  Crashes constantly and is crippling my productivity.  I've done some major 3d renders in AE that take hours to render and everything runs like a champ but I'm trying to finish this project in PP and simple picture pans and zooms is going to cause me to me miss my deadline? Really? HELP ADOBE!

A virtual beer to anyone who can help!

Thanks,

Marty

• 16. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285

Long term solution--With those large sized pictures you may not have enough memory on the old underpowered  FX 4800.  Get a copy of GPU-Z and watch your video RAM memory usage.  Your FX4800 has only 192 cores which just is not enough for efficient operation.   Get something at a minimum like GTX 560Ti with 384 cores and 2 (or more) GB of Video RAM

• 17. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                          MartyMiller Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply. A couple more GB of RAM is no problem, will do.  I think I bought this FX4800 a couple years ago for around $1,500.  Is a $250 card really better and the solution to my problem?  Not doubting you, just confirming the possible solution.  Will this new card fix this problem as well as perform at or better levels to the 4800?  I'm not much of a hardware guy so I just ask for verification.

Thank You!!

Marty

• 18. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                            RjL190365 Level 4

Marty,

You paid way, way, way too much money for what was effectively a $220 card two-and-a-half years ago (as far as Premiere Pro is concerned). That's because that Quadro FX 4800 is based on a 55nm die-shrink of the original GeForce GTX 260 with a slightly crippled 384-bit DDR3 VRAM that's running at an effective 1600MHz (the regular GTX 260 has a 448-bit DDR3 VRAM bus that's running at an effective 1998MHz). As such, expect that Quadro FX 4800 to perform at roughly the same level as the GTX 550 Ti that's on Bill's chart.

What's more, the video RAM refers to the fixed, non-upgradable RAM on the video card itself. You cannot add more RAM to the Quadro FX 4800, which is permanently stuck with its stock 1.5GB of 384-bit DDR3 VRAM. And if the video RAM (VRAM) runs out while you're trying to render a scene, the entire scene (frame) gets rendered entirely in MPE software-only mode without even letting you know.

• 19. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Hey Marty,

Backing the memory down only worked for a while for me. Eventually the

crashes came back. Ultimately I had to go in and take every single picture

(I wasn’t doing pan/scans, thankfully) and resize them to a max of 1920 in

photoshop… Then I was able to continue working with no further glitches.

Also, for those places where I had video footage that was larger than my

timeline, I had to “scale to frame size” instead of just working with the

zoom control in the motion panel.

I just stuck a 3GB 580 in my system, and I’m looking forward to seeing how

it handles over the coming weeks. Unfortunately that project is already

done with the smaller stills, so I can’t directly test with apples to

apples, but I do have other projects that will follow similar parameters as

this one I just finished.

• 20. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                                Samisin1234

Did you solve this in the end?

I just built myself a completely new PC yesterday. Quad Core CPU i7 3,6Ghz, 16GB internal memory, 240GB SSD drive and a Geforce 570 GTX with 1280MB memory.

I am trying to prerender R3D RAW files shot at 5K and sooner or later I get the error message:

OpenGL message "hardware does not meet minimum specifications"

I have seen this Event Log Message:

Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application. The application must close.

This is extremely frustrating since the point I built this $3000 machine, was to be able to improve my workflow with RED Epic content. And now I can't. And I can't find other people having the same issue either...

• 21. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                                  Julio Esquivel

I have the same error message (as the one posted by "davidbeisner2010" with the pic)

I'm editing a simple video clips HD with the canon XH A1, I can replicate the issue even with or without pictures on the proyect. Some times I can work for few minutes or few hours before the error message pop up

my system

Intel Core i7-930

win7 64 bit ultimate

12 mg mem 1600

nvidia geforce gxt 285

any one find a solution for this issue?

I talk to nvidia and adobe representatives with no good results

• 22. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Anytime I have seen this, the issue has been stills with Non Standard Video resolutions above 1920x1080. The Hardware MPE player just does not seem to handle those well compared to the software player. CS6 though has seemed to resolve most of this that I have seen. If you dont have those type of stills in the project, are you running a HDV or Anamorphic preset for your timeline?

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                                      Darren Kelly Level 1

At this point in this thread, everyone should have done a few things.

1. Upgraded to CS6.x

2. Upgraded the Nvidia drivers to the latest ones

3. Use jpegs that are no larger than your project resolutions.

That should fix most of the issues. I can't comment on the Red stuff. I've never played with it.

DBK

• 25. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                                        Julio Esquivel Level 1

I can't up grade from CS5 to 6 right now

I try the latest drivers from nvidia as well as the 301.42 that recomended nvidia representative

jpegs are of same resolution as project

• 26. Re: Help! PrPro 5.5.2 and nVidia 285.62 on GTX 285
                                                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Anamorphic Presets do not intialize the Hardware MPE engine correctly with CS5.5. Last I checked CS6 was still doing the same thing. That means the HDV presets would have that same problem. Select a AVCHD Preset that is 1080i or 1080P and then copy and paste your timeline into that Sequence. See if that resolves the issue with the Sequence without the large stills

Eric

ADK