2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 4:57 PM by Guy Burns

Vertical spreads possible?

Guy Burns Level 1

I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is no, but just in case…

I want to export pages as vertical spreads instead of horizontal spreads i.e. if the document is set up as landscape A4, then when I export to PDF I get two pages on a portrait A3 sheet, page 1 at the top, page 2 at the bottom. I have a simple manual method for achieving this, but was hoping for a tick box called "vertical spread".

To put it simply, instead of the one tick box called "Spreads" in the export dialog box, I'm suggesting there should be two: "Horizontal Spreads" and "Vertical Spreads".

Reason for me wanting this: I'm not trying to make a calendar, I am generating imposed PDFs from InDesign in 4-Up format.

Suggestions that involve rotation or jumping into Acrobat, are not what I am looking for. My manual method is pretty simple and foolproof (takes about 5 minutes to 4-Up a 200 page document), and I'm looking for something even simpler.

• 1. Re: Vertical spreads possible?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Guy Burns wrote:

Suggestions that involve rotation or jumping into Acrobat, are not what I am looking for.

Well, that's all you're going to get out of the box. Make regular protrait orientation A4 facing page spreads, then rotate the spread view 90 degrees before you start to work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Vertical spreads possible?
            Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks, Peter, for confirming that vertical spreads are not possible out of InDesign.

In case anyone else wants to generate 2-Up or 4-Up impositions out of InDesign, this is how I do it (notes for my future reference in case I ever forget how to do it). An 8-page A5 booklet is used as an example, though the Script can generate any imposition scheme for signatures of variable length.

The reason I want 4-Up imposition is because the local digital printer charges the same price per click independent of page size. So by printing on A3 (or SRA3) the print cost is significantly reduced.

1. Use the Applescript 2-Up imposition (http://www.mediafire.com/?6dwmmfp8nbme0gi) to generate the 2-Up imposition sequence, sent to the clipboard as 8,1,2,7,6,3,4,5.

2. Paste the imposed page-sequence into the page range box, and export to PDF as single pages.

3. Generate an InDesign document of one page called TwoUp: numbering beginning at page 2, page size set to A5 portrait, facing pages.

4. Use the PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx script (included with InDesign) to import the PDF.

5. Export all pages to PDF as facing pages. The pages in the PDF will appear as 8-1, 2-7, 6-3, 4-5, on A4 landscape.

6. Generate an InDesign document of one page called FourUp: numbering beginning at page 2, page size set to A3 portrait, facing pages.

7. Use the PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx script to import the PDF. The 2-Up pages (A4 landscape) will appear at the top of each A3 page as (0-0 meaning blank):

First two A3 pages (as a spread)

8-1  2-7

0-0  0-0

Second two A3 pages (as a spread)

6-3  4-5

0-0  0-0

Drag 6-3 and 4-5 under 8-1, 2-7 (one movement, which will snap into place) to obtain on page 1:

8-1

6-3

and on page 2:

2-7

4-5

A 4-Up imposition using only InDesign (with help from Applescript for complex impositions).