4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2012 8:37 AM by RGB2CMYK2 RSS

How to copy and paste images from Illustrator?

RGB2CMYK2 Community Member

I am using Illustrator and Indesign CS5. I tried to copy and paste some images from Illustrator to Indesign but sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.They are all photos which already embeded in Illustrator. May I know why it's like that? Or what is the correct way to copy?

I know I can place them to ID but it will take longer to place all of them because they are located in different folders. If copy and paste, that save a lot of time. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to copy and paste images from Illustrator?
          BobLevine UGM-MVPs

The best way is to save as AI or PDF and then use the file>place command to bring that artwork into InDesign.

Copy/paste is for simple artwork only.

Bob

• 2. Re: How to copy and paste images from Illustrator?

I don't quite get it. In my AI file, there are 16 pages and each page has at least 4 photos. Now I need to use those photos to make a selected new catalog which has 8 pages. How can I save this AI catalog and place the individual photos to ID file?  Could you please explain more detail? Thanks a lot!

• 3. Re: How to copy and paste images from Illustrator?
              Joel Cherney MVP
              You know, I can't tell you exactly why the clipboard is failing you. I do know that some kinds of data, like really complex vector artwork, can't be copied and pasted. I assume that the consistent Adobe stance that we should place, not copy and paste, has something to do with this.

However, the answer to "why it doesn't work" has absolutely nothing to do with "how to do it the right way." Nobody should be making sixteen-page brochures in Illustrator. If you need to dis-assemble that brochure to do it the right way, then save as PDF and use the "Export All Images" tool in Acrobat. Then place those into ID. Do this because there is no way to "fix" the fact that you can't use the clipboard to get the images from Illustrator to InDesign.
              • 4. Re: How to copy and paste images from Illustrator?

Totally agree that "nobody should be making 16 pages brochures in AI" but it was there before we purchased ID so...have to deal with it :-)  I tried to export all images but the PDF generate the whole page as a single graphic. That's not what I am looking for.

Sometimes I tried a couple more times then that copy/paste works or I rasterized the image and it works too. It's just confusing.