3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 1:24 PM by George_Johnson

Making PPT presentations playable when inserted in Microsoft Publisher and distributed in PDF format

missingmark

I publish a newsletter for the American Legion veterans and have inserted several Power Point presentations in a Publisher document. When selected they play fine in Publisher presumably using my version of PPT. When I save the file in PDF to distribute I am unablel to play them when selected in the PDF version of the document..

Therefore unusable by the newsletter reader, even though I have PPT on my system and Adobe Flash player. Adobe does not let the file open.

Does anyone know how I can achieve my objective?

Thank you,

Missingmark

• 1. Re: Making PPT presentations playable when inserted in Microsoft Publisher and distributed in PDF format
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It can't work the way you have it set up, so you'll have to investigate other approaches. For example, if you have Acrobat Pro, you could do:

1. Convert the PPT to PDF using PDFMaker (part of Acrobat). You can then include the resulting presentation PDF as a file attachment in the newsletter PDF, and link to it from the newsletter PDF. This will open the presentation PDF separately from the newsletter PDF and it can be displayed in full-screen mode.

2. Convert the PPT to Flash and include it in the newsletter PDF as an RMA (Rich Media Annotation). There are various ways to do the conversion, but I have not tried this myself, so you'll have to investigate further if interested.

• 2. Re: Making PPT presentations playable when inserted in Microsoft Publisher and distributed in PDF format
            missingmark Level 1

George, thanks for your help. I do not have the software and resources to implement your suggestions but appreciate your feedback. It also occurs to me that most of our membership do not hve sophisticated computers for viewing the newsletter. I assume that when it opens and plays in Publisher that it is using my PPT software.

If I were to get it into PDF, would it work in Stand Alone Adobe Reader for the member or would they still requie PPT or some other software to view it?

They do not typically have Publisher so I need to keep as much of the richness while making it viewable by the largest number of recipients. Any other suggestions for an approach are appreciated by anyone.

Missingmark

• 3. Re: Making PPT presentations playable when inserted in Microsoft Publisher and distributed in PDF format
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, both suggested approaches would work with just Reader and no additional software would need to be installed on your user's machines. #1 is the easiest to set up and is probably the most flexible, but it does require Acrobat to best implement.

If you are unable to get access to Acrobat or other PDF creation software, an alternative is to create a separate PDFs of the PPTs and include them as separate files with the newletter PDF, but this might be a bit cumbersome.