11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 5:55 PM by BobTheSkateboard

Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10

civex

I use a video camera at a distance, and I want to record sound on a lavalier mic with my iPod touch, then

sync that audio with the video track.

Unfortunately, I can't get the sound to sync. http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/6649983445/ has a video of

my efforts. The waveform of my handclap shows in both the audio tracks, but I can't align the waveform of

the clap from the iPod files (.aiff) with the waveform of the sound track on the video (.mov). As you can see

from the video link, the waveform from the audio jumps ahead of or behind the audio on the video.

Can syncing be done with external audio recordings, or am I out of luck?

I'm using Premier Elements 10.0 on OS X 10.6.8.

• 1. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can apply the Time Stretch effect to either the audio or the video clip to match them up.

• 2. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
            nealeh Level 5

Also convert the sound file to .wav 48kHz 16-bit PCM and use that in your PRE project.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
              civex Level 1

Hi, Steve and Nealeh. I converted the sound file to WAV, and I can get it to sync with the beginning of the video.

I cannot, however, get it to sync at the end. Using time stretch on the audio makes the sound stutter all the way through, and stretching the video makes it out of sync worse. Are there any good tutorials on time stretch?

• 4. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                nealeh Level 5

This search includes several - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tutorials+on+time+stretch+premiere+elements.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It doesn't make sense that stretch or trimming the video with the Time Stretch tool makes the video more out of sync.

If you speed or slow the video a little, at some point it's going to match your audio, isn't it?

• 6. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                    nealeh Level 5

civex wrote:

Using time stretch on the audio makes the sound stutter all the way through, and stretching the video makes it out of sync worse.

Depending on whether you are PAL or NTSC the closest you can get it to is within 1/25th or 1/30th of a second as PRE only allows sound to commence at the beginning of a frame. I recall (probably from Bill Hunt) a post suggesting that PrPro can allow sound to be positioned more precisely within a frame - but that's not the case in PRE.

You could try splitting your audio at various points throughout the timeline so that you can synchronize the start at multiple positions. Or try stretching your audio in an external application (e.g. Audacity or Magix Audio Cleaning Lab) to the exact length of your video, saving that out as WAV 48KHz16-bit PCM.

I've used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for a long time. For the price it is remarkably powerful. I see that they now have a new product MAGIX Video Sound Cleaning Lab that may work better for sound synchronising (they offer a trial download).

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                      civex Level 1

Okay, my problem is unknown unknowns. :-> I don't know enough about Premier Elements 10 to know how to diagnose my problem, so I went back to basics. I exported the original file without the external audio, and the sync was off at the end. That's why the sync was getting worse when I added external audio and used time stretching: the output was wrong from PE10. I have no clue why. I changed the output fromat from .f4v to HDTV720, and the original file kept its sync. Then I added the external audio, and the sync was fine.

So my problem is that I don't understand the output formats. Why the sync failed from the original video remains a mystery.

One of the tutorials showed a different way of using the time stretch tool than the PE help resource did, and I like that method better.

My thanks to you both for your patience and your helpful suggestions.

• 8. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                        macmonter

Re: Syncing sound in PrE 10

I imported a 1 1/2 hr SVHS tape having multiple cuts/edits into PrE 10 using a Grass Valley ADVC 55 digital video converter. No sync problem was evident while monitoring the import, BUT the audio progressively got more out of sync while reviewing the finished import in the timeline. Searching the forum for video/audio sync solutions provided little incouragement for a simple fix. I've read to use Time Stretch, split the audio track at various points to resync, use another vendor's software and/or to transcode. Out of frustration with this Adobe product, I resorted to my old editor and spent another 90 minutes importing into iMovie 08. Guess What? iMovie had perfect video/audio sync from start to finish! I then used Elements 10 Organizer to import the program from the iMovie Events folder to Pr E 10 for editing. No sync problem with the iMovie import in PrE 10. This is a rediculous workaround to overcome a PrE 10 bug!

In another thread on this forum a statement was made that Premier Elements/Pro disassociates video from audio on import. If this is true and if it is the cause of the video/audio sync problem, then Adobe needs to fix it! A PrE 10 customer should not have to resort to a lesser, cheaper video editor to accomplish a basic function that the  "Premier" product can't do right!

• 9. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                          civex Level 1

YIkes! Having to run it through another program to get it to sync up is a problem. I hope there's another solution.

• 10. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                            BobTheSkateboard

It might just be with some video, because I made a video with separate audio and a camtasia screen record in avi which worked fine. When I tried to sync it with dslr footage I had the same problem.

• 11. Re: Syncing sound in Premier Elements 10
                              BobTheSkateboard Level 1

I'm now having the same problem with premiere pro. It must be the audio file and not the program.