3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 7:16 AM by BobLevine

CS4 Preflight Profile dropdown only shows "Basic [working]" profile?

Angularian

I am new to InDesign, finally cracking it open as part of my Adobe CS4 Master Collection, and am using the Adobe "Classroom in a Book" to get to grips with it.

In the second lesson of "Classroom in a Book" there is a walkthrough of the "Preflight" functionality introduced for the first time in CS4.  It walks through changing the preflight profile from "Basic" to "B&W Job (embedded)" from the Profile dropdown in the Preflight panel.  However I can't replicate that step because all I'm seeing is the single profile I've already selected "(Basic) [working]"?

Do I need to install the profiles from somewhere else or is my copy of InDesign broken (updates always seem to fail with the completely meaningless "update failed" and a prompt to try again later or retry immediately which always fails again.  My current version is 6.0.6 according to the "About Help" information.

Thanks for any advice, tips (Yes, I know I should upgrade to CS 5.5 but hard to justify a cost of nearly £800 even with the discount especially since if I hold out a bit longer I will most likely be able to avoid paying that amount twice when CS6 gets announced).

Ian

• 1. Re: CS4 Preflight Profile dropdown only shows "Basic [working]" profile?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, any preflight profile other than Basic needs to be defined someplace, then selected (you can load profiles from other documents, as well as export to a loadable file and embed in the current document by opening the preflight menu which is the bottom right button under the list in the Define Profile dialog). Since this profile says (embeded) after it, either you don't have the right file open or the class files are missing the profile -- would hardly be the first time that there were problems with files supplied with Classroom in a Book. Are you sure the lesson isn't teaching you how to define this profile and embed it first, before you select it for use?

If in fact the profile is missing, there is probably a website for the book (used to be) where corrected files may be available.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 Preflight Profile dropdown only shows "Basic [working]" profile?
            Angularian Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I suspect you are right. This is Lesson 2 which is just a "quick" overview of features and so there is no intention to cover how to define and embed a profile first. And, as you say, "Classroom in a book" has often not had very good proof-readings in past versions so probably naive of me to think things might be different with CS4.

This is probably not the right place to ask, but if anyone has any strong preferences for a beginner's guide to Adobe's Master Collection bits and pieces other than the Classroom in a Book series please feel free to let me know or point me to an appropriate discussion.

Thanks,

Ian

• 3. Re: CS4 Preflight Profile dropdown only shows "Basic [working]" profile?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For InDesign there is no better book than Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide. Here’s a link to the CS4 version http://amzn.to/wrvHsI

You may also want to check out the video training on Lynda.com. This link will get you a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

I have a page on my website with books that I recommend along with links to buy them on Amazon: http://bit.ly/yUkdNy

Hope that helps,

Bob

1 person found this helpful