2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 11:20 AM by Pursued By Trees

Can AE Be Used To Correct Chromashift?

Pursued By Trees

Hi!

This may be a dumb newbie question (although I have tried searching the faq's and discussion threads with no success before posting) ...

Is there a way to use After Effects for chromashift correction?  Is it possible to adjust the placement of the RGB channels individually?

I have some rare (but generational) old analogue VHS footage of a band that I'm trying to clean up and improve a little.  I've tried this with some sucess in virtualdub but would like to be able to make corrections/improvements without having to convert to .avi and back again as the loss of quality from the format conversion is something that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Apologies if there is already a thread/tutorial on this that I've overlooked.  If so I'd be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help!

• 1. Re: Can AE Be Used To Correct Chromashift?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, it's possible, but may involve quite a bit of advanced channel munching. The basic rundown is that you split the channels using the Shift Channels effect by creating 3 separate layers each with one channel and blending them back using Add blending mode. That gives you the freedom to move each layer separately or compensate distortions with effects. Depending on what else needs to be fixed, effects like Channel Combiner, Minimax, Matte Choker, Levels and so on may be necessary, partially also requiring to create genuine transparency from the individual channels or the luminance using Shift Channels. Also commercial plug-ins like RevisionFX RE:Fill to mend holes might be useful...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can AE Be Used To Correct Chromashift?
            Pursued By Trees Level 1

Thank you!

I'll give that a go for starters and see how I get on.

Regards

PBT