4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 2:33 PM by Steve Grisetti

Video distortion when burned to dvd

mirsy44 Level 1

I have a top of the line computer and everything that I need to make a good dvd.  When I look at the video on the computer screen both stills (shot in raw and converted to jpg) and video look great, but when I burn a dvd they look pixilated.  Help!  Is this a software issue.  I'm using Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Video distortion when burned to dvd
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you judging the quality? On your computer?

Remember that DVD video is only 720x480 -- the non-square pixel equivalent of 640x480. That's fine for a TV, but your computer screen is probably 4x or more than that resolution. So, if you watch it full-screen on your computer, it's going to look terribly pixelated! So test drive it on your TV.

Also, you don't say what you're using as source video. But if it's coming from a hi-def source (say an AVCHD file), it too is several times the resolution of your final DVD file. Since you're going from 1920x1080 pixels to 640x480, there will be a lot of pixels tossed away in the transcoding.

As for your photos, if you take our advice and rez those photos down to no larger than 1000x750, there shouldn't be a lot of difference between the original and the DVD. But no matter how high the resolution of your original photos, you're still only getting the equivalent of 640x480 in the end. That's the nature of DVD video.

• 2. Re: Video distortion when burned to dvd
            mirsy44 Level 1

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough.  The video and photos look great on my computer, but look pixilated when burned to a dvd and played on a TV.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Video distortion when burned to dvd
              nealeh Level 5

What are the sources of your video clips ? What dimensions are your still images ?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Video distortion when burned to dvd
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Pixelation IS resolution, mirsy.

If it's something other than that, can you post a link to a clip of the video posted online so we can see what you're talking about.