6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 2:03 PM by Cris is Bliss

Blending Mode issue

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,

I recently had to reinstall my CS4 suite.  Now 3 of the Blending modes do not behave as they have in the past.

Now Classic Color Burn, Classic Color Dodge and Soft Light each change the appearance of the clip (see attachment) even though its the only layer.

However, when there is another layer underneath, the Classic Color Burn looks like Color Burn and Classic Color Dodge looks like Color Dodge, and Soft Ligth is a little different than Overlay, just as they were working in the past.

Its my understanding that if you apply a blending mode to a layer and there is no other layer beneathe it, there should be no change in the appearance of that layer.  Except the application of Stencil/Silhouette Alpha or Luma will make the layer dissappear if there is nothing on beneath it..

I just need to know that my software was installed properly, and everything is as its supposed to be or do I need to re-install.

Thanks in advance

CS4 (AE 9.0.3) on a Mac OS 10.6.8 

• 1. Re: Blending Mode issue
          Cris is Bliss Level 1

OOPS..... here's the attachments

The Image

Un affected.png

With Classic color Burn applied

Classic Color .png

with Class color Dodge applied

Classic color.png

with Soft light applied

soft light.png

• 2. Re: Blending Mode issue
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is with only one layer???. Try turning off open GL previews. Try duplicating the layer then applying different blend modes to the top copy.

Open GL is probably the culprit.

• 3. Re: Blending Mode issue
              Cris is Bliss Level 1

yes this is what happens with those modes applied and it is the ONLY layer in the comp

• 4. Re: Blending Mode issue
                Cris is Bliss Level 1

Open GL on or off is not making any difference.

When I use those blending modes and there is another layer below, the blending modes behave as they are supposed to.  However if I turn the layer the is beneath off, I get the results that I showed in the screen shots.

• 5. Re: Blending Mode issue
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's a silly question. Blend modes are only useful and effective when there's something to blend with. There's no reason to have a layer set to anything but normal if there is no layer below it to blend with. That being said, what project is being fouled up with because of this behavior? What are you doing that requires you to change the blend mode on a single layer? What do you expect to happen when you apply Classic Color Dodge to a single layer?

By the way, the same thing happens in CS5. It's the normal behavior for these blend modes.

• 6. Re: Blending Mode issue
                    Cris is Bliss Level 1

Its just that before reinstalling AE I didn't recall those Blend modes behaving that way, maybe they always did and I just never had applied it to a layer that is the only layer in a comp.   However, just for convenience I think that it should not cause any change when there is no layer to blend with,  ie. you're tweaking the top layer that has the blend mode and you need to temporarily turn off the bottom layer for what ever reason  or the bottom layer is shorter in duration, and you get this blow out or totally darkened image, now you have extra steps of turning the blend mode to somthing else and back once you're finised, a small price but none the less its not consistant with the other blend modes.