1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2012 5:01 PM by rafikibubu

When I use ; (semicolon), the string of characters do not hyphen!

Henry Wilson_969 Level 1

Let's suppose we have whatever string of characters inside a text frame:

asldfjalksdjflkajsfdklasfd

if the character string doesn't fit inside the text frame and the Hyphenate is checked on the Paragraph panel, the string of characters for examples goes:

asldfjalk-

sdjflkajs-

fdklasfd

Let's suppose now that inside this string of characters there is a ; (semicolon):

asldfjalk;sdjflkajsfdklasfd

now on the string of characters do not hyphen, if the text frame is too small it disappears and a red plus sign as usually appears at the bottom right the text frame. So I must enlarge the text frame to see the whole string of characters and if the text frame gets outside the page borders?

Can anyone help me to resolve this?

• 1. Re: When I use ; (semicolon), the string of characters do not hyphen!
          rafikibubu Level 1

Hi Henry,

How often will this occur with the copy you have?

If it's only on occasion, then you could just simply insert forced line breaks as needed.

You put in a line break by placing the cursor where you want a break, and hitting shift-return.

Also, if can't see the text because of the long string (all you see is the red plus sign on the text frame), select the text frame and hit ctrl-y (cmd-y on mac) to open the copy in the story editor. Insert the line break as needed, and the copy should then show up in the text frame.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

~Nate