10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 11:42 PM by wonderspark

Can anyone help with these kernel panics?

indiabarb

I work for the NHS.  Have spent most of my salary on Adobe Premiere Pro using a Intel Core Mac OS 10.5.8 which is supposed to be enough for the system requirements.  Have spent all day shutting down my computer unable to start the software.  If it does start it freezes and tells me to restart.  This is not acceptable.  Can anyone help??? Adobe cefrtai nly don't want to is there ahtyone out there with any solutions?  I ahve checked the hard drive it is fine, have done all the usual checks to no avail. Cannot find anywhere to talk to Adobe, their website is a minefield of Groundhog Day!

I have the same problem with Photoshop purchased last year as part of a creative package.  This is really annoying!

• 1. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
          Jon Chappell Level 3

Kernel panics are normally hardware-related. It's most likely an issue with your graphics card. I'd recommend you take it to your local Apple Store so they can check it.

• 2. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I ahve checked the hard drive it is fine,

That is below minimum requirements. You need AT LEAST two separate physical disks.

• 3. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
              wonderspark Level 1

Please let us know more details about your system. An "Intel Core Mac" running Leopard (10.5.8) doesn't give enough detail. Also, give details on what you're editing, such as DSLR footage or if you don't really know, tell us what you *do* know by clicking "Get Info" on the files themselves. Finally, what version of Adobe are you using? Is it CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5? Have you applied all updates? (Give version numbers)

For example, I have:

2009 Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-core

32GB RAM @1333MHz

ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU

Areca 1880ix-12 RAID card

8x 2TB WD RE-4 disks in RAID6

3x 1TB 7200rpm Hitachi disks in RAID0 for scratch media

1x 640GB 7200rpm Hitachi disk for OSX and program files

Footage type: DSLR footage from Canon 5DMkII, Quicktime MOV H.264/AVC/MPEG-4, 1920x1080p

Adobe CS5 (v5.0.4)

The fact that you're having problems opening even Photoshop leads me to agree with Jon Chappell above, that you have serious hardware issues. Hopefully, it's not something like an iMac that you can't fix yourself easily, but we have no idea what you're working with.

• 4. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                indiabarb Level 1

I have not been able to do ANY editing, as if Adobe Premiere Pro does open it crashes before I can do anything!  I have just purchased this software it is version CS5.5.  My Photoshop was part of a creative package CS5, but I have updated it when updates were available.  I have checked my Hard drive and appatently there is nothing to repair after the hardware test.  I apologise for my brevity but I have been really exausted trying to find a way round this.  I am actually at work now but I did not want you to think I was ignoring your advice.  When I get home I will give you the full details of my iMac which was purchased in February 2010 new.  I cannot recall all the full details off hand.  One thing that always happens when it crashes is that this is in the trash 'com.adobe.dynamiclinkmanagerCS5'. any ideas what that is? Sorry What I will be evetual;ly traying to do is edit footage from a Panasonic HDC SD90 camcorder.

• 5. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                  indiabarb Level 1

Dear Wonderspark,

I am back at my iMac.  Here are the details of my hardware.

Model Name:iMac
                    Model Identifier:iMac7,1
                    Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
                    Processor Speed:2.4 GHz
                    Number Of Processors:1
                    Total Number Of Cores:2
                    L2 Cache:4 MB
                    Memory:3 GB
                    Bus Speed:800 MHz
                    Boot ROM Version:IM71.007A.B03
                    SMC Version (system):1.20f4
                    Serial Number (system):W88035L3X86
                    Hardware UUID:00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC205D8B9
                  Chipset Model:ATI,RadeonHD2600
                    Type:Display
                    Bus:PCIe
                    PCIe Lane Width:x16
                    VRAM (Total):256 MB
                    Vendor:ATI (0x1002)
                    Device ID:0x9583
                    Revision ID:0x0000
                    ROM Revision:113-B2250F-219
                    EFI Driver Version:01.00.219

Displays:

iMac:

Resolution:1680 x 1050
                    Depth:32-Bit Color
                    Core Image:Hardware Accelerated
                    Main Display:Yes
                    Mirror:Off
                    Online:Yes
                    Quartz Extreme:Supported
                    Built-In:Yes

The software versionas are as follows.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.4

Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 version 5.5.0

I hope that is more use.  As I said, the software is successfully installed, but I cannot open Premiere Pro.  Photoshop does open occasionally but rather like Russian roulette.

I also have the Creative suite and Dreamweaver is no problem, neither is Indesign.  This makes no sense to me I would be grateful for any help.  I have checked the hardware and the system is ok.  I have tried re-installing the software after un-installing it but that made no difference.  I obviously have turned the machine on and off because of the black veil that descends upon the screen during the kernel panic.  Premiere Pro has alo frozen everything rather than causing a panic too. HELP!

• 6. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

See Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

iMAC does not meet minimum requirements. PR is the most demanding application in the Suite. DW is about the least demanding. If you can get it to work, it will be much slower than molasses in winter. You are better off trying to sell it and get a decent PC. For around $ 1500 you can have a system that is around 100 - 200 times faster and that works!!!

• 7. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                      wonderspark Level 1

Ooh, yeah... sorry. I was afraid it was an iMac, and worse, it's not even a 2011 iMac. For perspective on that, I thought I'd have some fun and try out editing a CS5 project on a base model 2011 iMac, which has 4GB of RAM to your 3GB (still too little), an i5 2.5GHz Quad core to your 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, and a 6750M GPU to your 2600... those are some of the bigger differences. While the 2011 iMac *did work*, it was miserably slow. I basically told it what to do and went to the beach, then came back and let it do more work while I ate dinner. Honestly, I didn't even expect it to work at all, so I was happy it did. (I was on vacation, and hoped it wouldn't work, to be honest, but money is money, and it paid for surfing lessons and then some!)

I'm afraid that the very wise Harm Millaard is right. You need more power in your edit station. I realize you say you spent most of your salary on that iMac, but you have options.

I flipped a coin when I bought my Mac Pro at the end of 2009... PC or Mac, PC or Mac. I've been a PC guy my whole life, and thought it might be fun to try a Mac out again. (I had a 9600/300 PowerPC Mac that ran Media100 with an Enterprise8 RAID tower, way back in Mac OS8. It was nice at the time, for $50,000.) I was using CS3, and it was pretty nice. I skipped CS4 and went right to CS5 when it came out, and things changed. The PC has a significant advantage over Mac right now, because you can build a PC for a LOT less, that has a LOT more power than a Mac. Sure, you can drop some serious money into a really nice Mac Pro, but you aren't getting much bang for your buck that way, and it sounds like your budget precludes this anyway. I upgraded my old Mac Pro into a 6-core that handles anything I do with ease, but I spent a lot. I don't like to think about it, but I think it's more than $7000 for my monitors, RAID tower, enterprise disks, RAID card, CPU, GPU and RAM upgrades, all told.

YOU can learn from all this and keep that iMac as your secondary workcenter, for things like Photoshop and Dreamweaver... and build a PC for about what you spent on the iMac that will do a decent job with CS 5.5.

OR you can sell the iMac, and use those funds to build an even better PC.

Adobe is Adobe these days, Mac or PC, they both do the same. Actually, you get some extra features on the PC that Mac users don't get, truth be told. Audition does more on PC than Mac, and there are other effects that Mac users don't get on other programs. Will that change in the future? We don't know.

Here is my best advice. Call up the guys at ADK and ask for Scott and or Eric. Link: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

Tell them your problem, what you have to work with for a budget, and they will get you a system that works for the least hassle and money. They come highly recommended, and I truly belive this is your best option. That iMac won't do you any favors with CS5 or later. I know you didn't want to hear that, but it's a harsh reality.

• 8. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                        indiabarb Level 1

Dear Wonderspark (and Harm who also replied thanks!)  I had a deep suspicion of this!  Ho hum!  Things move to fast don't they?  Oh well, I will weigh up my options but as I work with PCs at work and despise them, I like to go home and do my designing and creative work on a MAC so I will save up and buy and New Macbook pro or something simply for video editing.  I will still contact the chaps you told me about, jsut in case they have any spuer duper reasons for opting for a PC in this instance (I really don't wanna do that!..... but hey ho!)  You have been very supportive and helpful.  Thank you for your imput and at least I won'e be tearing my hair out any more trying to get it to work.  The new Macs have Quad processors, and I did an on line chat with an Adobe person who said OS Mac Lion operating system is much better for the new Adobe programmes. Thanks all who replied, will have to live on soup for a while!

• 9. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                          wonderspark Level 1

Well, let me throw another option at you.

Here's a refurbished Mac Pro http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC560LL/A

It's $2119, and will work well for you. You get the same warranty (AppleCare) with refurbished Apple products as new ones, it's probably even better than new because it's been looked at and verified by Apple more than a machine off the assembly line in the Far East or whatever, you know? I have a refurbished 30" Apple Cinema Display that has been flawless for two years now, and I trust refurbs more than brand new when it comes to Apple.

The good news about this Mac Pro I linked above is that you can add any monitor you want if you want to save money... in other words, you can buy a Dell or whatever you need. I have two monitors on mine - a 22" Dell and the 30" Apple one. (Some people don't know you don't have to use an Apple monitor.)

You may not be that into changing out the CPU, but if you are, you can do what I did, and swap my slower CPU out for the 3.33GHz 6-core CPU. They're only $585, and it's very simple to do yourself. Of course, the 2.8GHz Quad CPU that comes with it is fine, but it's nice to know you can upgrade it really easily. I did this to mine. Took me 20 minutes, but I was taking my time and having fun.

I personally believe iMacs are a poor choice for video editing, not only because the specs are weak, but because they don't move cooling air through them anything like a tower does. Mac Pros are known for being quiet and efficient at cooling, whereas iMacs are known to bake themselves to death, and once they do, you can't fix them yourself. It's like a disposable camera in that sense, and hardly a good investment. At least a Mac Pro can be upgraded in many ways to extend the life and value.

I know you hate PCs, but Windows7 is pretty nice these days.

About Lion... there are a LOT of complaints about it right now. Best to wait until they fix some of the bugs in it... maybe 10.7.4 or so. Snow Leopard is very nice, and I plan to keep using it until I am dragged by my hair to switch to Lion. 10.6.8 is the sweet spot, most will agree. I *completely* disagree that Lion runs Adobe better than Snow Leopard. I run CS5 with NO problems on Snow Leopard, yet know people that wish they hadn't made the switch to Lion due to a number of problems.

• 10. Re: Can anyone help with these kernel panics?
                            wonderspark Level 1

And if you get that Mac Pro, here's where you buy RAM... NOT from Apple who overcharges you:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

Open the door, unsnap old RAM, snap in new RAM, *poof* and you're done. You'll want 24GB at least. I have 32GB and usually use 26-28GB of it.