4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 4:52 PM by JonJ231

How to edit clips in AE and put them back into PPro? (CS5.5)

JonJ231 Level 1

Okay, so, here it goes.

I edit my main footage in Premiere Pro. I recently purchased a denoising software that only is compatible with After Effects, so I have been using the denoiser plugin in After Effects. After I edit my basic video cut in Premiere, I select all of the clips (including audio) in the timeline, and open it in a new AE comp. After it has been opened, I do all of my major video touch ups in AE (such as denoising). Now, when I try to export the project as a Premiere Pro (PP) project and open it in Premiere, it doesn't load the project. It's just an empty sequence. That is not a big deal though, because I tried something else. I tried linking the AE composition from AE to PP which works, but it is very slow and precomposes all of the individual clips into one video clip.

So, just to go over it again, this is what I did: Cut clips in PP > Selected all clips in the timeline of PP and opened them in a new AE comp > Edited the individual clips inside the AE comp w/ effects that are not supported by PP (only AE supports the denoiser effect) > opened the edited AE comp in PP > then the comp came up as a precomposed video clip instead of individual clips.

So, my question is, how do I get the comp from AE to stay as individual clips when I open it in PP in case I need to adjust something? Is there a way to do this? Or should I just do the denoise effect very last?

Two other things:

(1) I noticed that it is extremely slow in PP to render parts of an AE comp... is it just because of the added effects?

(2) I transcode my video footage to ProRes 422 before I bring them into PP. Once I bring the clips into AE and then back into PP (if I figure out how to), will the clips still be the same ProRes codec? I need them to be the same codec due to color grading and effects later on in post.

Thank you SO MUCH if you can answer this! ANY help is appreciated! I explained this pretty much as good as I can, so if you don't understand my question, just ask, and I'll try to give you more info. Thanks!!

• 1. Re: How to edit clips in AE and put them back into PPro? (CS5.5)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are going to re-edit your shots in Premiere after applying effects in AE then you will be better off rendering the shots in AE with handles on them. Don't try and bring in a whole movie. Nobody that knows what they are doing does that. I even add handles to my dynamic linked shots in Premiere Pro and I seldom bring in more than one shot at a time. The easiest way to add handles is to drag the shot to another layer in PPro and extend the in and out points. You can also change the length of the comp in AE, but be careful, AE doesn't return audio tracks to Premiere so you'll loose audio sync if you're not careful. If I have a bunch of shots that need to be processed in AE I'll rough cut them in PPro leaving plenty of room (handles) on the in and out points, then process and render them in AE, and bring the renders back into Premiere Pro and do the fine cutting there. One freebie hint coming next: You don't have to put your entire movie in a single sequence. When doing what I just described I'll often edit the processed sequence and then bring that sequence into my final movie timeline. That's how feature films are cut. Each act, maybe even each scene is cut as a separate sequence, then the sequences are assembled into the movie. Nobody I know that cuts features cuts the entire project in a single timeline unless they are so strapped for time that the first edit is the one they have to go with.

Secondly, yes it will take PPro a long time to render shots processed in AE with effects because you're rendering with effects and you're also now running two apps at the same time on your system. See tha first answer for the solution. You will work faster if you render things out in AE and then replace the footage in Premiere.

Third question, if you transcode to any codec, then render to the same codec, everything will remain the same. If you're using dynamic link then the rendering will be to the same codec for the entire Premiere project. AE always processes uncompressed at the project bit depth before the pixels are sent to the rendering engine. There are no render settings for dynamic link. It always uses the the same rendering and compression settings used in premiere.

• 2. Re: How to edit clips in AE and put them back into PPro? (CS5.5)
            JonJ231 Level 1

Thanks for the awesome answer!!

The problem is this: I film with a Canon T2i, so there is usually a decent amount of grain in each shot. So, what I do is perform a basic cut and then I need to edit (usually) every shot on the timeline in AE with Denoiser. So to do this should I make an individual comp in AE for each shot That I need to edit, and render it with the same file name as the original source so that it automatically updates in PPro?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: How to edit clips in AE and put them back into PPro? (CS5.5)
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

So to do this should I make an individual comp in AE for each shot That I need to edit, and render it with the same file name as the original source so that it automatically updates in PPro?

That is REALLY going to slow you down.  You're to using AE in an inefficient workflow.  You need to get picture lock on your project -- the edit's over, there will be no further changes to the cut -- and THEN do your AE work.