16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 7:37 AM by Eugene Tyson

Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

acknowledged4791

Hi

I have created a design mainly using dingbat fonts in Photoshop CS2 and want to save it (I think as a TIFF) for use in InDesign CS5.

I have tried but when I 'place' the TIFF image in InDesign the quality looks terrible, can someone please advice on what i might be doing wrong?

The documnet has been created as 600dpi, A5 so 21cm x 14.8cm and I have the colour set for CMYK.

When I'm saving the file I'm offered TIFF options, including image compression, for which I have chosen JPG and Maximum quality 12, I've attached a screenshot of the TIFF options.

As I say any help you can provide who be greatly appreciated, the design if for a brochure and it needs to be as clear as the software will allow.

RegardsTIFFsave.gif

Ash

• 1. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, don't use jpeg compression on hard edge images. LZW is lossless and does not introduce artifacts. There's seldom any reason to save layers in TIFFs either, in my opinion. I save layered .psd instead.

As far as the quality, the first thing to do is set the View > Display Performance to High Quality Display. This has no effect on output, just the qulaity and speed of the screen rendering. Second, if your file is composed of type, it's really vector, not raster, or at least the type portion is. If you leave the type live in Photoshop and save as Photoshop PDF the vector conten will remain vector (and crisp) when placed.

• 2. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, ideally you should save as a PSD and place that.

Secondly, if this design is 100% black and white (no greys) you probably

want to save it at least at 1200ppi (in bitmap mode).

If you're using fonts and you want to retain the vector quality of the

design (since text is vector in Photoshop), save as a Photoshop PDF.

Finally, check that in InDesign you've got your display set to high

quality (View>Display Performance>High Quality). A 600dpi tiff should

look fine in InDesign.

Ariel

• 3. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
              acknowledged4791 Level 1

PSD is the best form to save files in Photoshop, to then use in InDesign ? This is the first time I've heard this.

• 4. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

There are some advantages to saving as PSD, which is compact, lossless, and supports layers (including non-destuctive adjustment layers) and transparency, but "best" is a fuzzy term. Since I tend to use lots of adjustment layers, I save as PSD and leave it at that. The only time I save a TIFF these days is if I'm asked for one by a Quark user.

• 5. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
                  acknowledged4791 Level 1

I really appreciate all the advice by the way.

But to clarify, I can design certain pages of a magazine/brochure in Photoshop and save as psd. and the quality of the image is perfectly fine to then use in InDesign and have printed. As good as you would normally find in any magazine/brochure ?

• 6. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

Generally speaking, you'll find that most of here would never do a page layout in Photoshop. ID is much better at handling type and combining disparate content into a coherent package, plus it allows you to do layout-type operations like multiple pages and adding bleeds much more easily. We do our photo editing in Photoshop, then place the photos into ID to make pages.

As far as Quality of the image, if all you have is raster content, then .psd is as good as you can get from your file, so the quality will be dependent on how good the capture was and the resolution at print size. Type and other vector content look like crud at 300 ppi and even at 600 ppi they aren't great, and 600 ppi is overkill for continous tone images (resolution is after scaling). The advantage of vectors is they have no resolution until printed, at which point they output at the resolution of the device, and can be scaled without loss of quality. The only way to preserve the vector content in a Photoshop file destined for ID is to save as Photoshop PDF. Type, even live type layers, saved as .psd is rasterized when placed (imported) into ID.

So why are do designing some pages in Photoshop? What is Photoshop allowing you to do that you cannot do in ID, and why do yoy need  to then bring these pages into ID rather than say, saving as Photoshop PDF and delivering that?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
                      acknowledged4791 Level 1

The design and layout is in InDesign, but certain elements like imagebackgrounds that have Photoshop brushes used etc are to be used within the InDesign structure. 80% is InDesign which I'm more than happy with the quality off.

• 8. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
                        Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're doing page layouts in photoshop - you should retain ALL your text layers, all vector shapes and all vector masks. Try not to flatten anything.

Then save the file as a Photoshop PDF with editing capabilities.

You can then place a PDF into InDesign. And the Text will output as vectors. It's much more beneficial to let the printers RIP rasterise the text, shapes and masks, as it will do it at a much higher resolution.

If you don't have any Text Layers, Vector Shapes, or Vector masks - then a PSD or TIFF are equally fine to use for purely Raster images. If you keep a Layered PSD file for editing, then flatten that when you're finished and save as a TIFF you will get a much smaller file size. The reason I do it this way is so I can distinguish which file is for editing, as all my PSDs are layered all my TIFFs are flattened - helps me keep things neat. I could equally do it the opposite way.

And also - Peter, or anyone else... If you're making a PDF from InDesign and in the Output it asks for Compression - you can turn that to NONE and it should ignore the JPEG compression in the TIFF or PSD, right?

I've thought this for a long time but I doubt myself a bit here I haven't really ever looked that much into it. But I thought that was how it worked. Again, it's never been an issue for me so I haven't spent any time on this.

@Original postee - You should stop doing page layouts in Photoshop where possible - it's very bad practice and you'll get a much better end result using the right tool for the job, InDesign.

• 9. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

Ok I thought you were doing the page layout in Photoshop - I've seen it happen and I always advise people not to.

• 10. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

Eugene Tyson wrote:

And also - Peter, or anyone else... If you're making a PDF from InDesign and in the Output it asks for Compression - you can turn that to NONE and it should ignore the JPEG compression in the TIFF or PSD, right?

That's correct, as far as I know. No compression means no compression. In ID you might also choose zip compression rather than jpeg to elimate artifacts and compression losses, but I would personally not choose zip compression for TIFF when saving that format in Photoshop. LZW is nearly uninversally supported, and if the application that is receiving the TIFF won't support LZW the chances that it will support zip or jpeg are slim-to-none.

• 11. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

So back to the original question. I'm starting to get a little lost. These are background images, right? Are you applying the brushes to the dingbats (in which case I presume thay are rasterized first), or to some other elements? A screen shot might help.

Also, in rereading the initial post, I wonder if the problem was really just the preview in ID. Did changing the display quality settings solve that?

• 12. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?
                                acknowledged4791 Level 1

Peter sorry for confusion the question is basically what is the best way to use Photoshop created files in InDesign to get the best possible print quality.

Photoshop allows for more graphic design elements etc so certain images, headings etc will be created in that, but the magazine is being built in InDesign and will be sent to the printers in that form.

• 13. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

OK, then rule of thumb is for continuous tone you want a resolution that is approximately two time the line screen that will be used for the halftone, calculated at the print size. This is an oversimplifcation, and normally get's further simplified to just "use 300 ppi at print size" because it's safe for 99% of all print work. For a better discussion of resolution and viewing distance, see Distance-Resolution Formula. More than that seldom helps as RIPS discard extra data. Better, whenever possible, to keep things that should be vector crisp as vector.

For line art (1-bit images) the best quality comes from saving at the resolution of the output device, but nearly everyone seems to use 1200 ppi as a reasonable compromise te keep the file size down.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

Getting a 404 on the Distance Resolution Formula, Peter.

• 15. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Getting a 404 on the Distance Resolution Formula, Peter.

Jive is dropping part of the address again, I guess.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2042202#2042202

It may look familiar to you, Eugene. 

• 16. Re: Exporting or Saving for InDesign after creating in Photoshop CS2 ?

I knew what you were aluding too

Yes I still use that formula to date and it has never let me down. Especially when I have to squeeze every last drop of resolution out of an image!

It's easy to use - just copy it to google and replace the mentioned digits. And you're all set.