3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2012 11:38 PM by mjb1962

Possible to import 2 or more Photoshop live 3D files and edit with cameras in one comp?

mikejb6

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a new comp in After Effects (CS5.5) and then import two Photoshop Live 3D models into the comp and then animate a camera around them? I can do this easily with a single imported PS 3D (PSD) model, but can't figure out how to import a second 3D model to use in the same scene. 

For example, lets say I had two separate PS Live 3D models, one of a car, and the other of a motorcycle. How can I import both of these two models (saved as Photoshop .PSD Live files) into my comp and then use a single camera to orbit around both models in 3D space. I have a sneaking suspicion that this might not be possible and that I might have to learn how to use a dedicated 3D software package!

Thanks for reading,

Mike.

• 1. Re: Possible to import 2 or more Photoshop live 3D files and edit with cameras in one comp?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you import a live Photoshop 3D file into AE you get a pre-comp for each 3D object. If you import two 3D psd files you'll still get a comp with the 3D layer, the controller and the camera. All you have to do is to copy the 3d layer and the controller from one comp and paste them into another comp. That's it. The camera will kind of interract with each layer but the perspectiver changes won't be natural. You can move around the objects to look at them from different sides but that's about it.

Screen Shot 2012-01-08 at 8.26.05 PM.png

I'd put both objects in the same PSD. Don't expect fast renders.

And to answer your last question, yes, it would be good for you to start learning a 3D app. I'd start with Blender. It's free, powerful, has camera tracking, projection mapping, and export to AE.

• 2. Re: Possible to import 2 or more Photoshop live 3D files and edit with cameras in one comp?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a new comp in After Effects (CS5.5) and then import two Photoshop Live 3D models into the comp and then animate a camera around them? I can do this easily with a single imported PS 3D (PSD) model, but can't figure out how to import a second 3D model to use in the same scene. 

Nothing to figure out, because basically it can't be done. That is you can of course import multiple files and by rewiring the controller expressions and linking cameras create the illusion, but despite your best efforts the meshes won't interact. As far as AE is concerned, they are just each its separate own little universe. Same limitation as when using otehr 3D-ish effects....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Possible to import 2 or more Photoshop live 3D files and edit with cameras in one comp?
              mjb1962

Thanks Rick & Mylenium for your replies.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and learn a new app.