9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 2:17 PM by Ted Smith

Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs

Ted Smith Level 3

I am trying to make a FLV for uploading to Youtube.

When I click on Share to Youtube, I get no response at all (I am not connected to the internet on my editing computer)

When I share an AVCHD 1920x1080i project to FLV., any horizontally moving vertical lines take on a sort of wriggly interlace effect. Stationary scenes are quite OK

The spacing of the "interlace" however is much more than the interlace of the original video being sometimes only about 50 wriggles from top to bottom. It appears like a sort of interlace in the FLV compression as the number of wriggles in picture height varies with the speed of movement. The resolution also sharply declines while the movement is in progress.

I commonly see this effect on some home movies on Youtube that I presuime were interlaced and used to get it slightly on an old computer with a motherboard video output when I had PE2

Is there a way of eliminating these? (I have an i7)

I

• 1. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends:

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it? How did you get it from the camcorder to your computer?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

The vast majority of these types of issues are caused by a mismatch between source vide and project settings.

Also, download the Flash player from the Adobe site and play your FLV file before you load it to YouTube. Do you see the issue BEFORE you load it to YouTube or does YouTube cause the problem?

Have you thought of using this format instead for outputtting your files? It often yields much better results than even FL:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549

• 2. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
            Ted Smith Level 3

The original video is Full HD AVCHD Sony, 1920,1080 25i

It looks perfect originally, when made to a Blue Ray disk and to a DVD.

The effect is visible when playing the newly made file FLV by PE9 before uploading to Youtube.

Happens at both high and low resolution settings but worse on low and the 'wriggles' are further apart.

Visible on GOM & Flash players.

I presume the FLV will be 60 frames progressive. Is oit because my opriginal is 25 frames interlaced

Should I somehow be converting the video to progressive or de-interlacing it before making a FLV?

I presume the FLV will be 60 frames progressive. Is oit because my opriginal is 25 frames interlaced

• 3. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs

What happens if you Share/Computer/AVI (DV)? Is the video noise in the AVI?

If not, open a new project, set up for DV. Put this AVI into it and then Share/Computer/FLV.

I'm still not sure why you're outputting FLV, let alone 60 fps FLV, when the link above will give you better results on YouTube. But that's your perogative.

• 4. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
                Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks

When I make a standard DVD or a Blue RAY disk from the original AVCHD there are no wriggles.

I made a FLV file with PE simply because it was there in the share menu!

I expected it to work and I didn't want to remain connected to the internet for hours while the project was rendering and writing to Youtube.

If you send a good FLV file to Youtube, they dont convert or do anything to it and it appears much faster.

You can also check it first before you upload it.

Next time I'll try the other WMV method

Here is a worst case example captured with GOM player.

FLV made in 320x240 from AVCHD.

The cable car was moving rapidly, the background was stationary.

Magnify it andy ou can see the wriggles on the verticals of the cable car

SanFranciscoFLV.jpg

I often see this effect on Youtube. Any ideas as to what causes it?

• 5. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
                  Ted Smith Level 3

While on the subject of Youtube, I note they accept "HD"

What settings should I use to make a suitable file (PE9)?

I have already edited it as a 10 minute AVCHD on a standard blank DVD. This plays perfectly in my blue ray player resulting in an about 2gb file.

Surely Youtube wouldn't accept this size would they?

My original video is AVCHD 1920x1080i 25 frames

• 6. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Also when I made the FLV, strangely PE converted my original 16x9 to 4x3 and cropped the sides!

• 7. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs

The link in my very first post answers all of these questions. Use those settings and you will get excellent results on YouTube.

• 8. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
                        Ted Smith Level 3

Sorry, my question was more about why PE9 could not make a FLV without these wriggles only on moving parts of the picture and what causes them?

When I make a higher res FLV, the wriggles arent so prominent but of a higher frequency.

The problem with Youtube only revealed this problem because that is why I made the FLV in the first place. Your answer solves Youtube but not the reason for it.

I used to get a similar effect viewing standard AVI fro DVtape on the motherboard video output of an old computer I had.

Might this suggest it is a fault in the PE recoding or compression?

• 9. Re: Wriggly verticals on moving FVLs
                          Ted Smith Level 3

If you click on and magnify the picture that is in another recent post (Best Options for 16x9 output) you can see the exact same wriggly effect on the moving ropes. The stationary parts of the picture are unaffected.

Makes you wonder about PE a bit?