8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 6:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size

josekellenberger@aol.com

I should be very grateful for advice on the following situation.

I have a widescreen camera with a SDHC card.  I import the videos via the card and they go into Windows Picture Gallery.  If I look at the videos on the camera's playback all is fine with sound and vision (using an external microphone as recommended by Cannon).  However when I playback the videos in Windows Picture Gallery (or in a file if I have stored it there too) then all is fine with vision but about half-way through the short video (at approx 30 seconds) the sound cuts out.  This happens on all the video clips.  If I view the clips in Adobe Permiere Elements I get the sound all the way through but there is interference with the vision.  I initialy set the project size to widescreen but when I drag a clip into the storyline/timeline space then I get an error warning asking me if I wish to alter the size of the picture because my present setting does not match the clips.  In other words the clips are not being recognised as widescreen.  I have tried importing the clips directly through Adobe Premire Elements (which saves them in Videos) and the same results occur.

Can anybody please help me.  Many thanks, Jose

• 1. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unless there's something you're not saying, there's no reason what you're doing shouldn't work:

1) What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it? Video from still cameras and from some JVC Everios not import with the proper aspect ratio.

2) Which specific project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

3) What happens if you use the Video Importer (Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camera) to port the video from the camera or camcorder rather than through the the SD card reader?

4) Finally, if you right-click on the clip in the Project/Media panel and you select Interpret Footage, can you set the clip so that it displays correctly?

Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing when you import the footage into a project?

• 2. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size
            josekellenberger@aol.com Level 1

Many thanks for your message.  I am not withholding any information that is relevant.  In answer to your questions:

1.  I have a Cannon FS100 which is definitely widescreen PAL and records onto an SDHC 16 GB card.

2.  I chose PAL widescreen option for Premiere Elements project set up.

3.  I have tried importing through Video Importer (GET MEDIA/FROM FLIP AVCHD and Hard Disk camera) rather than through the card reader and the same thing occurs, ie. it doesn't recognise the widescreen videos.  It just flashes up an error alert saying that the clips do not match the chosen widescreen setting.

4.  I will try to do what you have asked in Q4 to show you what I get.  I will attempt this and get back to you.

Many thanks for bothering to try to help resolve this problem.  Thanks again.

In a message dated 01/09/12 12:55:54 GMT Standard Time, forums@adobe.com writes:

Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size

created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Unless there's something you're not saying, there's no reason what you're doing shouldn't work:

1) What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it? Video from still cameras and from some JVC Everios not import with the proper aspect ratio.

2) Which specific project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

3) What happens if you use the Video Importer (Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camera) to port the video from the camera or camcorder rather than through the the SD card reader?

4) Finally, if you right-click on the clip in the Project/Media panel and you select Interpret Footage, can you set the clip so that it displays correctly?

Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing when you import the footage into a project?

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4126223#4126223

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4126223#4126223. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size

From what I see, this is a storage camcorder that records DV footage as an MPEG, right? If so, you should be using the Hard Disk Camcorder project settings rather than DV. (DV footage is from a tape-based camcorder.) Look for standard definition, widescreen.

That might get it working for you. Otherwise:

Is the video squeezed looking, as if widescreen is being squeezed into 4:3?

Or does it just appear normal, inside the 4:3 video frame?

Or does it appear filling the frame with the sides cut off?

Again, a screen capture posted to this forum would be very helpful.

• 4. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size

Many thanks again for your time and advice.

In your previous but one message you also asked me to right click on Project/Media panel and select INTERPRET FOOTAGE.  I'm afraid I can't find where INTERPRET FOOTAGE is located.  I can find Project and I can find Media but neither leads me to Interpret Footage.  

In your last message you asked some questions and here are the answers:

You are quite right that it is records in MPEG and is a Hard disk camcorder.  But I have been clicking on the correct setting of standard widescreen in the Hard Disk menu and NOT in the DV menu.

When I import the video the first thing that happens is that an error message gets flashed up that I have the wrong setting.  It states that my clips are not matching my setting.  If I answer YES I would like an alteration to be made to the setting (to standard) then:

1.  the video fills the entire Monitor Panel which is on a 4:3 ratio

2.  it doesn't look squeezed

3.  it appears normal when still (i.e. not being played) but the moment it starts playing there seems to be interference all over the panel

If I answer NO I would not like an alteration to be made to the setting (ie. keep widescreen) then:

1. the monitor panel has 2 thick black strips at either side and if I measure the picture shown then it is on a 16:9 ratio and again looks normal.

I am not sure how to 'capture' the screen and post it.

Any further advice from you would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

In a message dated 01/09/12 22:20:32 GMT Standard Time, forums@adobe.com writes:

From what I see, this is a storage camcorder that records DV footage as an MPEG, right? If so, you should be using the Hard Disk Camcorder project settings rather than DV. (DV footage is from a tape-based camcorder.) Look for standard definition, widescreen.

That might get it working for you. Otherwise:

Is the video squeezed looking, as if widescreen is being squeezed into 4:3?

Or does it just appear normal, inside the 4:3 video frame?

Or does it appear filling the frame with the sides cut off?

Again, a screen capture posted to this forum would be very helpful.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4127333#4127333

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4127333#4127333. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size

To capture a picture of your screen, just press the Print Screen (PrtScn) button your keyboard. You can then paste that into a Photoshop or Photoshop Elements document, save it as a JPEG and post it to this forum.

It would be very helpful to see a screen capture because I'm not clear from your description what you're seeing.

Also, Interpret Footage is available by right-clicking on a clip in the Project panel and selecting it.

• 6. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size

OK I will try that.  I have found Interpret footage and it is set at 1.09xxx.  If I change it to 16:9 ratio then the monitor panel has black strips over and below the picture.

In a message dated 01/10/12 19:23:29 GMT Standard Time, forums@adobe.com writes:

To capture a picture of your screen, just press the Print Screen (PrtScn) button your keyboard. You can then paste that into a Photoshop or Photoshop Elements document, save it as a JPEG and post it to this forum.

It would be very helpful to see a screen capture because I'm not clear from your description what you're seeing.

Also, Interpret Footage is available by right-clicking on a clip in the Project panel and selecting it.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4130034#4130034

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4130034#4130034. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 7. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size
                      nealeh Level 5

If the monitor view ratios look good (i.e. as Steve suggested 'not squashed') then that may be the correct view. But there are still concerns

• Did you try the project setting Steve suggested ?
                      • Do you still get red lines above the timeline as soon as you add the footage ? If so, then your preset is wrong - when you get the warning from PRE let it change the setting for you.
                      • Do you still have the audio problem ?

As an experiment, if Steve's recommended project setting doesn't work, try the standard 4:3 PAL preset.

From the camera description:

The complete package: software supplied

Pixela ImageMixer(TM) 3 SE lets you organise, play back and edit your video clips, then convert them to alternative file formats. The software also offers DVD creation features – another easy way to share footage.

See how the clips look in the ImageMixer software. What export options are there ?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Widescreen video camera clips being reduced to standard size
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Once you have Imported the Clips into the PrE Project, just go to the Project Panel (Project Tab), and there, Rt-click on the Clip, choosing Interpret Footage. In the Intrepret Footage dialog box, adjust the PAR for Widescreen 16:9. Remember, this is done in the PrE Project Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt