11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 3:28 AM by nicola327

My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...

nicola327

I am working in Photoshop CS4 on Mac. I have followed the steps below to create a clipping path:

* Opened image that I want to add a clipping path to

* Selected the part of the image that I wanted to clip (with the eliptical marquee tool)

* On the Paths tab, selected "Make Work path"

* In the pop-up box tolerance is set to 0,5pixels

* I can now see an outline of a shape on the image

* In the Paths tab - double clicked on the work path and saved the path as "Path 1"

* Select the created path on the path tab and then chose "Clipping Path" from the tab dropdown

* Left "Flatness" blank in the pop-up provided

* The name "Path 1" now looks outlined in the paths tab

I have tried to save the image as a JPG, PNG, TIF... RGB and CMYK... nothing seems to work. The entire image still previews.

I turned off OpenGL and there are no layer styles applied to the image. There is only one layer in the file. I am very confused... this function used to work and now for some reason it doesn't. Are there any other settings linked to creating a clipping path that i may have changed by mistake without knowing it would affect this?

Screen shot 2012-01-09 at 10.15.32 AM.png

• 1. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

You seem to misunderstand what a Clipping Path is – it will clip the image saved as an eps in layout programs.

To get the effect in Photoshop itself you could doubleclick the background Layer to make it a regular one, then with the Path selected in the Paths Panel invoke Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path.

• 2. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
            nicola327 Level 1

Hi there - sorry, this image was just a quick example... I need to insert a CMYK Tiff into a print file and I need to add a clipping path around a complex object so that when I insert the image into Corel Draw I can apply a drop shadow in Corel Draw.

At the moment I have deleted the object background and applied a dropshadow in photoshop, but this limits the format I can use to .png in order to get a transparent background in Corel Draw. My issue with inserting a png into Corel draw is that the dropshadow area is causing visual distortion when I PDF the document. (all background/text underneath the transparent area of the png pixilates...) so as a work around I want to try to add the dropshadow in Corel Draw rather.... anyway, that is the long version of the story... the short version is I can't get my clippling path function to work in Photoshop. For now ignore the fact that I drew a shape with the Eliptical Marquee tool - even if I use the pen tool to select a complex area and follow the same steps, the resulting JPG, PNG, or TIF that I create ignores my clipping path.

Any other suggestions?

Tks N

• 3. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I don’t think Clipping Paths are supposed to work for any of the formats you mentioned, but only for eps, dcs and pdf.

• 4. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm really not sure what you are trying to achieve. Clipping paths do not show transparency in PS unless associated with a layer, not the flattened background. Furthermore, using them in whatever program would require to enable the pertinent options to have the programs actually use them, e.g. when importing them in InDesign, QuarkXPress or what have you. Contrary to what C.Pfaffenbichler said, though, paths can be contained in JPEGs and TIFFs as well, they will just be unassociated generic paths, hence the requirement to enable them in the target program for generating transparency. For Postscript files and PDFs clipping paths should automatically be recognized as such, as it's part of their language. Anyway, all that technobabble aside, why not simply use images with proper transparency as PSDs or TIFFs? Unless you need paths for a specific printing process, there is no point in bothering to create them and your mention of adding a drop shadow in CDR would speak against that, anyway. So once more, what is it that you actualyl want to do/ achieve with your paths?

Mylenium

• 5. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

when I insert the image into Corel Draw I can apply a drop shadow in Corel Draw.

So the issue might be: What formats that support transparency can Corel Draw handle – for example psd-files?

• 6. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Clipping paths does work in Tiff: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7713a.h tml

What version of Corel Draw! do you have? Can it correctly open tiff files with clipping paths? I am wondering, reading this online: http://forum.oberonplace.com/showthread.php?t=1604

If you check the image in Photoshop, it will not apply the clipping path.You need to import/place it in Corel Draw.

• 7. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Christoph, I remember Corel Draw 9 respecting PSD files transparency, but sometimes, I used to get some ghosting from the transparent area. (And in AI as well)

• 8. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Clipping paths does work in Tiff:

Ah, I was not aware of that – it’s been a while since I needed to use Clipping Paths …

• 9. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                          nicola327 Level 1

Tiff format definetly works - i have used it in the past. I just tried EPS and the clipping path works - so thank you!

It seems that I have been a bit stupid though... I just realised my error - to check if the clipping path was applying correctly, I have been opening the clipped image in Preview... It seems that Preview can't "see" the clipping path on a .tif and it "sees" the area outside the clipping path on an .eps as "flattened" (so i see a hard white background, when i am expecting it to be transparent). I just imported the .eps and .tif into Indesign and Illustrator and the clipping path applies fine in both cases. it seems that the real issue is between Mac and PC.... I am running Adobe on Mac and Corel Draw on PC... Corel Draw seems to have an issue with .eps and .tif files with clipping paths.

png works in Corel Draw but transparency causes distortion for elements behind the transparent section... will keep trying :-)

...this is the story of my life! I hate working on PC but every now and then a client gives me a file where the artwork has been created in Corel Draw and I'm faced with these anomolies...

Thanks for helping me to think this through logically!

FYI on tiff format clipping paths...

Source: http://www.espressographics.com/text/fileformats.html

Photoshop EPS (.eps): EPS stands for Encapsulated PostScript format, which is based on the PostScript printing language. Most .eps graphics are created and edited in a draw (vector) application like Illustrator, and when you open an Illustrator vector .eps image in Photoshop, Photoshop will still convert it to pixels. As such, an Illustrator .eps doesn't have the same editable properties as a Photoshop .eps graphic so don't confuse the two. Photoshop .eps format is primarily used for creating images with clipping paths and monotone/duotones. It used to be that an image with a clipping path could only be saved as in .eps format in Photoshop. This is no longer true with later versions of Photoshop where you can save graphics with clipping paths in .tif format as well. When you create a monotone or duotone image in Photoshop, it is still best to save it in this .eps graphic file format, although .psd and .pdf options are also available.

screen-capture-7.png

• 10. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                            nicola327 Level 1

Thanks for that - didn't know there was a term for what was happening! "Ghosting" - i have learnt something today!

• 11. Re: My Clipping Path isn't working? Please help...
                              nicola327 Level 1

@mylenium - basically I want to import an image in a printable high quality format (generally CMYK tiff is what I am used to), into Corel Draw, and then add an effect that will not create distortion on the final file.

I am bascally trying every variation i can think of to see what works best

* png with transparent background + dropshadow applied in PS

* png with vector mask + dropshadow applied in CD

* jpg/tiff with clipping path + drop shadow applied in CD

... the list goes on.. initially the issue was getting a clipping path to work. now the larger problem is finding a file format where the effect/transparency that is created is supported by Corel Draw.

screen-capture-9.png