4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 12:13 AM by mgemmerich

Run PDF File from command line and goto a bookmark

mgemmerich Level 1

Hi,

I need to open a pdf file vi command line (WinXP / Win7).

Till this I do not have a problem.

But I need to go to a bookmark in the file direct after opening the file.

I tried "acrord23.exe /a nameddest=BOOKMARK file.pdf" but this opened only the file.

"acrord23.exe /a zoom=50 file.pdf" works fine.

Is there another parameter to go to a bookmark after open a file?

Where is my mistake?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Marc

Message was edited by: mgemmerich - reason: typo

• 1. Re: Run PDF File from command line and goto a bookmark
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There isn't. You should read the PDF Open Parameters reference file to see what your options are, if you haven't already.

However, remember that a bookmark is nothing more than a command for the application to do something, like go to a specific page number or to a Named Destination, both of which can be done with a command-line parameter. Can't you use one of those options instead of specifying the bookmark's name?

• 2. Re: Run PDF File from command line and goto a bookmark
            mgemmerich Level 1

Hi,

I read the PDF Open Parameters reference. So I tried the nameddest. I think the nameddest is a bookmark, or is this wrong?

The background is, that we have the dokumentation for our application in word. So we save the word as pdf. Each chapter is now a bookmark.

In the application we want to call the pdf and jump to the bookmark. Each frame were you can call "help" is a chapter/bookmark.

Or is there another way to do this?

Regards

Marc

• 3. Re: Run PDF File from command line and goto a bookmark
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A bookmark and a Named Destination are not the same. A bookmark can point to a NamedDest, but it's not identical to it. Of course, they can have the same name, and then what you tried to do would work...

To see where a bookmark is pointing to, right-click it (in Acrobat!), select Properties and go to the Actions tab. If it's pointing to a NamedDest you will see an action called "Go to a page in this document" and the name of the destionation underneath it.

To view or edit all the Named Destinations you can open the Destinations pane (again, in Acrobat. I'm not sure if this is available in Reader).

• 4. Re: Run PDF File from command line and goto a bookmark
                mgemmerich Level 1

Thanks, now I understand why it does not work.

Is there a posibility to define in Word "bookmarks" which I can transfer to destinations during creating a pdf of my worddocument?