5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 8:14 AM by John Hawkinson

Multiplication sign

LouWrench Level 1

Am I being stupid, but does the Apple keyboard only have an x sign and not a "proper" multiplication sign?

Where do I find it?

My client can tell the difference!

Lou

• 1. Re: Multiplication sign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You'd probably need to find a symbol font with the correct glyph and insert if from the Glyphs panel.

• 2. Re: Multiplication sign
            John Hawkinson Level 5

It depends on the font, though, some fonts have a multiplication sign of their own, e.g. Minion Pro. The most common one is probably Unicide U+00D7 MULTIPLICATION SIGN but there's also U+2715 MULTIPLCATION X and U+2A09 N-ARY TIMES OPERATOR.

In addtion to the Type > Glyphs where you can find these under Show: Math Symbols, there are awkward things you can do to your operating system to make them let you type this stuff. In both cases it's a bit painful. Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input#Hexadecimal_code_input:

In Microsoft Windows

In Microsoft Windows, if the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method\EnableHexNumpad has a string value of "1", holding down Alt and pressing the "plus" on the numeric keypad, followed by the hex code (using the main letter keys and any of the number keys), then releasing Alt will work.[1] (You must reboot after setting this registry key for this input method to start working.)

The RichEdit control on Microsoft Windows (as used in for example WordPad) supports the following input method: one first enters the character’s hexadecimal code (between two and six hexadecimal digits), then immediately presses Alt + x. For example, entering f1 and then pressing the combination will produce the character ñ. The code must not be preceded by any digit or letters a-f as they will be treated as part of the code to be converted. This also works on Microsoft Word 2002/2003 for Windows.

In Mac OS

In Mac OS X, select "Edit" then "Special Characters..." to open up a pane for selecting characters. Select the desired character or enter the Unicode code point in the text field at the bottom.[2] In Mac OS 8.5 and later: one chooses the Unicode Hex Input keyboard layout. Holding down the Option key, one then types the four-digit hex Unicode code point. On releasing the Option key; the equivalent character will appear.[3] Characters outside of the BMP exceed the four-digit limit of the Unicode hex input mechanism but can be entered using the search entry box in the Character Viewer (Edit->Special Characters) or by using surrogate pairs.[4] To use surrogate pairs, hold down the Option key, the first surrogate, the plus key (shift key is ignored), the second surrogate and then release the Option key.

• 3. Re: Multiplication sign
              LouWrench Level 1

Thanks John

I had been to Glyphs, but how do you know what is a times sign and not an x, by looking under show math symbols.

Thanks

Lou

• 4. Re: Multiplication sign
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Hover your mouse above an interesting glyph in the Glyphs panel, and after a while you get a helpful pop-up showing its exact Unicode description:

glyph-mult.png

(That's not really my mouse arrow.)

"Exact Unicode descriptions" tend to be a bit technical ("LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R WITH ACUTE") but at least you can Google for them, if necessary. Sadly the reverse, typing in "multiplication sign" and get the correct character back, is not possibly with InDesign au fond. I have a custom script that allows this for a smattering of specials that I use everyday but there are always more to add.

• 5. Re: Multiplication sign
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

I had been to Glyphs, but how do you know what is a times sign and not an x, by looking under show math symbols.

Jongware gives you the answer (hover), but the dirty secret is that what looks best may not be what is Right, and it's OK to choose the one that looks better.

Sadly the reverse, typing in "multiplication sign" and get the correct character back, is not possibly with InDesign au fond. I have a custom script that allows this for a smattering of specials that I use everyday but there are always more to add.

Well, you shouldn't use a hardcoded list! On Mac OS X, the Character Panel lets you type in the name of a character.

Lou hasn't told us his platform...

Of course, that doesn't help if you don't know you need to type "Times" for one and "Multiplication" for another...