19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 4:05 PM by MW Design

Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users

JDH67

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me out...
      I'm trying to export something to a client as an .eps from InDesign CS5.5. I can export it fine, I can open it on my laptop
      without any problems using my other copy of InDesign...

But when the other person tries to open the file ( I thnk they are using Corel PaintShopPro X4) it simply produces an

error message saying that the file is either corrupt or uses unsupported features.

The file I am trying to export is vector (ungrouped and outlined to remove any font issues) and also contains JPGs

within the design. ( I have also tried sending him just a page with a vector outline box and nothing else on it and that

won't open either.)

Anyone have any suggestions please???

Many Thanks,

Jerry

• 1. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't export EPS files from InDesign.

Export a PDF instead.

• 2. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can Paint Shop Pro open vector eps?

I'm a bit perplexed that you say you can "open" it in ID. Do you really mean open, or did you mean Place?

• 3. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
              JDH67 Level 1

"Export a PDF instead."

I wish it was that simple Eugene!!!

The client specifically needs an EPS - the item is not going to print in the traditional sense - it is actually a design that will be lazer

engraved onto precious metals.

The software that the lazer uses produces better results from EPS formats than it does from PDF's - even at their highest resolution.

We know - we tested it using another piece of artwork from one of their clients in both formats.

The software that the lazer uses is proprietery, and based on the Corel rendering engine - which is why myself and my friends who

all use Adobe can open the files without any problem... but when you try to open them in Corel it just wont have it.

(strangely enough - if I copy and paste the design into Illustrator and THEN export to EPS it WILL open in Corel - but I need to know

what on earth the reason might be so that I can fix it. These designs are being printed on .999 quality gold bullion - at £2500 per PIECE

I cannot afford ANY mistakes!!)

• 4. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                JDH67 Level 1

Yes Peter, Corel PaintShopPro X4 can open .eps files - FILE>OPEN, just like normal...

• 5. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users

That wasn't exactly my question. EPS is a broad category for files that can contain both raster and vector content, but your response above that Illustrator eps opens would indicate that vector is OK. Your error message indicates that there is probably some addtional content (perhaps in the header? I don't know much about the internals of eps) that is not supported by the Corel software.

So here are some thoughts:

Do the job in Illustrator instead of ID, if you can.

If you can't, then export to PDF, open in Acrobat Pro and try a Save As to .eps there.

• 6. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                    Jump_Over Level 5

In general, to export a file is a way to send it to another for import, not to open.

Import is a good way to use not to open and edit. There are always troubles with keeping edit ability between different users and different applications, more or less.

So export in PDF is good for being compatible. I you want to keep edit ability from both sides, you should start to use same apps or same company (Adobe) at least. Further you go away from this point - deeper you fall into the troubles.

• 7. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                      JDH67 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry - to clarify -

The original problem occured when I sent over an .eps from InDesign Cs5.5 to the client that contained both vector and high resolution raster (jpg) elements.

The client could not open the .eps file and got an error message saying either the file was corrupt or used unsupported features.

I checked around on the web and discovered that Corel cannot hand Psotscript Level 3 - so I resaved it as a Postcript level 2 and resent the .eps.

The client received the same error.

When I sent the file to my friends (all of whom use Adobe) they could open the file without any problem.

I then tried just a plain document with just a vector square drawn on it, saved in InDesign cs5.5 as an eps - the client got the same error message.

So from that I can deduce that it isn't layers / blends / transparancy / colour space or the presence of both raster and vector within the same document.

I then tried just copying the whole of the original design from indesign and pasted it into illustator cs5.5 and opted to save it as an .eps.

This new file DOES open in Corel PaintShopPro X4 - and I know that the company software was developed using the render engine licences from Corel

so I thought it's now a safe bet that it will open for them in their software.

So I guess it boils down to why on earth saving something in Indesign as an eps will not open - but copying the identical items into Illustrator and saving

as an eps through there WILL open...

• 8. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                        Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know InDesign EPS function is sub-par.

I should have clarified in opening the PDF in Illustrator or exporting from PDF as an EPS.

I'd check the file in Illustrator thoroughly before sending, as Illustrator is not a PDF editor, nor should it be used to open non-Illustrator EPS files for editing.

But in a pinch, it can work. You just have to be very careful.

• 9. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                          JDH67 Level 1

Hi Jump_Over,

I agree with you - and I know that you are right in everything that you say...

But unfortunately the client has only this proprietery software, and there is a difference in the quality of output from .eps to .pdf - we tested it using

a high res .pdf and an eps of the same thing from one of this other clients side by side.

I guess the question boils down to -what does Indesign CS5.5 do to an .eps export that Illustrator 5.5 doesn't?

Or vice-versa!

PS - thanks for the responses folks - this has been driving me completely bananas for ages, and I really appreciate your input!

• 10. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users

Have you tried both Binary and ASCII formats along with level 2 postscript when exporting the eps from ID?

• 11. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                              JDH67 Level 1

"

Have you tried both Binary and ASCII formats along with level 2 postscript when exporting the eps from ID? "

I'll try that now...I'll get back to you as soon as the client replies...

• 12. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                JDH67 Level 1

And....

Nope... same error message on both Binary and ASCII formats from InDesign...

• 13. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users

Back to why not just do it in Illy?

• 14. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sopabox time:

If the client needs Corel (CorelDRAW would be my best guess, not Paint...and you really need to find out for sure) then that's what you should be designing in. Anything else is a crapshoot.

What I can tell you is that InDesign would be the last program I'd use to do this if I didn't have CorelDRAW handy. An Illy file saved as EPS version 8 would be the way to go here.

That file SHOULD be importable into DRAW but again...go back to the client and get full details on the COMPLETE WORKFLOW.

Bob

• 15. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                      MW Design Level 4

It is likely that the reason the Illy version can be opened in CDX4 is because Illy is set up to include the PDF version upon export to EPS. And then it would be the PDF version they are really opening.

I cannot remember what CoreDraw X4's needed EPS format is, but like Bob mentions, it is likely EPS version 8. Even so, it will not be able to open all EPS version 8 files properly because one can still include features CD doesn't like. I don't know if CDX5 has had newer import filters or not. A  perusal of the CD forum probably is in order.

But for maximum ability to transfer files, you should be using Illy as Peter mentions. Best would be to pick up a copy of X4 if one cannot afford mistakes. X4 is the version most engravers stopped at if they upgraded at all. I know of several still running v8.

Take care, Mike

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Having read through this thread, a few thoughts on behalf of Adobe:

(1)     In general, there is nothing wrong with the EPS generated by InDesign. It fully complies with the PostScript Language Specification. There is nothing “sub-par” about it. One does have to recognize, though, that EPS directly supports only a subset of InDesign's imaging model which itself is a subset of the full Adobe imaging model. EPS, Encapsulated PostScript, supports neither live transparency nor ICC color management. Saving an InDesign document to EPS invokes transparency flattening and conversion of colors to device colors. Objects that have transparency effects or intersect with objects with such effects will be involved in transparency flattening which makes any subsequent editing of the generated EPS difficult at best.

(2)     Those who follow my posts on these forums know that I frequently remind you that Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat not, repeat yet again not a general purpose PDF or EPS file editor. It can only fully and properly edit such files if (a) those PDF files were saved from the same or an earlier version of Illustrator using the preserve editability option causing private editing data to be stored in the resultant PDF file (saved EPS files from Illustrator always have that private data) and (b) all fonts referenced in either the PDF or EPS are installed on the computer system attempting to do the edit (the embedded fonts are not used for editing). Corel's programs (and I believe in this case you mean CorelDRAW, a vector program, not Corel PaintShop or PhotoDraw which are raster image editors) are certainly no better at this. They are not general purpose editors of general case EPS (or PDF) files.

(3)     I will not comment on the quality or features of Corel's software, but I think that Bob Levine's soapbox posting provides some of the best advice in terms of how to deal with a workflow that is incompatible with professional level software and workflows.

- Dov

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                          JDH67 Level 1

First, a very genuinely felt thank-you to all those who have contributed to this, I really appreciate your input, help and time in trying to help me understand this issue more completely.

# Peter - Why not do it in Illy?  No specific reason, probably that I am just more familiar with Indesign, and until working for this particular client had never had a problem
                                          with anyone else opening or using an .eps file for my design work. The reason they have a problem - proprietery software BASED on Corel, but not Corel that they themselves
                                          seem not to fully understand leaving me with the problem of trying to work out why for them!

# Mike - I think you are correct, and it sounds as if you have sent work off to engravers before...Is that the case???

But just to re-emphasise - they are NOT using CorelDraw or PSP X4 - but I do know that their own software is based on it.

# Bob - of course you are right, but the company won't provide me with a copy of their software - and in my opinion they don't fully understand it themselves.

I think they commisioned someone to make them software to control their lazers - they are in the lazer manufacturing business, not software developers...and despite

many and long conversations with their "technical expert" they are unable to supply any definitive answers - we've even driven 1/2 way across the country and spent

a day there with them and still cannot work out the inconsistencies.

#Dov - thanks for such a detailed and definitve response. I wasn't criticising Adobe or expecting a "magic wand" solution, hope it didn't come across like that!

So, finally a conundrum: Can someone please tell me why:-

If I create a new document in Indesign Cs5.5 and simply add a vector square in black to it and save it as an EPS it won't open in Corel PaintShopPro X4.

If I copy and paste the self-same document into illustrator and export as an eps using the same postscript level, the same encryption (ASCII), the same preview...

It DOES open in Corel PaintShopPro x4.

It isn't fonts, or transparencies, or layers, or OPI conversions...so what the heck is it???

• 18. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

The only entity that can answer your question is Corel. It's their code! Again, the EPS from InDesign is fully compliant with the PostScript specification. I suspect that Corel's code is only able to fully interpret a subset of PostScript and that some constructs or sequences of constructs of PostScript output by InDesign are simply beyond the capabilities of Corel' s products.

- Dov

• 19. Re: Indesign EPS files cannot be opened by other users
                                              MW Design Level 4

JD, yeah, I know CNCs are not using the X4 code directly out of X4. But their software does read and make the instructinoal g-code (I think that's what they are using) for operating the CNC engraver.

Yes, I have used CD, Illy, Freehand, TurboCad, Xara, and likely a couple other applications over the years to create drawings for CNCs. But eventually, other than the "real" CNCs, the drawings go into and out of CorelDraw. That's the nature of the beast on these types of machines. It's one reason that Corel has such a presence in that industry.

Please note that I wrote "But eventually...the drawings go into and out of CorelDraw." It is the only surefire means of ensuring compatibility with their software. Because of that work, I have owned and used CD up to the X versions--but I don't do that work anymore.

I am a little confused about something. Well, two things. One, the drawings need to go into CorelDraw X4, not any other Corel software and certainly not any of the image editing Corel software. Two, why are there bitmaps in the exchange files? The CNC cannot use them.

Take care, Mike