11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 1:30 PM by trsrcst11

ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR

trsrcst11

i am using windows 7 on a 2010 desktop with outlook; i have the latest free edition of adobe reader installed; when i receive a pdf document via email, 3 options are available to me:

• i can read it directly, OR
      • i have to save it as a download, then open and read, OR
      • i save it as a download but sometimes the option of saving it as a pdf file is not available; i am unable to open and read - i get an error message stating "there is an error in adobe reader; if running please exit and try again"

what am i doing wrong and/or how to correct?? i need to read ALL pdf documents sent to me

• 1. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
          pwillener Level 8

Are these PDF docs sent as attachments?  If so, what happens if you do "Save Attachments"?

• 2. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
            trsrcst11 Level 1

some pdf docs come as attachments; they are 'saved' and read; no problem

some come imbedded in links such as monthly/qtrly reports/statements - of these some can be downloaded and read, but some are in a format that can be downloaded but NOT read - it is this latter group that i get the error messages when i try to read same

• 3. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
              pwillener Level 8

What Adobe Reader version do you use?

Does it also happen if you update to the latest version 10.1.2?

• 4. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                trsrcst11 Level 1

just to be sure, i uninstalled my adobe reader on 1/9/12 and reinstalled the latest version, 10.1.2 - SAME RESULTS

• 5. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                  Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

but some are in a format that can be downloaded but NOT read - it is this latter group that i get the error messages when i try to read same

Could you please elaborate as to which format are these files in? And are you able to save them to your local disk?

• 6. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                    scmckinney

I have virtually the same problem as trsrcst11, except I don't use outlook.  Typically I have been using Mozilla version 9.0.

Adobe used to be old reliable, but now it generally is not working, unless I open the pdf with the "Protected Mode Disabled" due to a "problem with my system configuration."  I have Windows 7 Ultimate (I think), but when I have tried to unistall and re-download the reader, the program seems to default suggesting I have XP with service pack 2.  I have tried re-downloading using XP and I have tried downloading with Windows 7.  I have tried downloading Adobe version 9.5.  Currently I have Adobe Reader X (10.1.2).  It used to be that whenever I needed to open ANYTHING, Adobe reader could handle it.  Now it has problems with pdf's, which I thought were using a system of Adobe's creation.  Case in point was today when I went to pull a Material Safety Data Sheet from Chase Products  http://www.chaseproducts.com/msds/4385126.pdf.  The result on my computer is a blue bar in a gray oval in the center of the screen.  If I try to "open the link in another tab" I get an error box saying, "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader.  If it is running please exit and try again (103:103)"   The tab I tried to open it in has a "Connecting" message in the menu bar with an icon endlessly twirling around.

I tried opening the Chase MSDS referenced above using Microsft Explorer, and the blue bar in the Gray oval got to the point of saying 44KB downloaded, but then it did nothing, and eventually popped up the "There is a problem with Adobe/Acrobat Reader ... (103:103)"

Adobe reader will open up PDF's that I have saved to the disk, but it still stops to say that they need to be opened with the "Protected Mode Disabled"

There is a problem somewhere.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Stuart

• 7. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                      trsrcst11 Level 1

i can download/save the HTML which has the link identified for the pdf document; but am unable to open/read the pdf doc

• 8. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                        trsrcst11 Level 1

Stuart: thanks for your comments!! i thought i was the only one in the wilderness. my problems and yours are identical. now ALL pdf docs require "Protect Mode Disabled" - this did NOT used to be the case. i agree - something has changed with Adobe Reader, there is a problem somewhere. thanks, again.

• 9. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                          scmckinney Level 1

Checking a bit further, I tried pulling up the above mentioned Chase MSDS pdf on another computer, which was using an XP service pack 3.  It was using Adobe Reader 10.1.1 and it pulled the 4 page Mataerial Safety Data Sheet almost immediately.  The Blue bar and gray oval pop up, but then it goes to the document right away.  Is there a problem with the 10.1.2 version of the reader and Windows 7?

• 10. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                            admiraldps

Stuart,

I was having a similar problem, getting the error message you reference.  I ended up uninstalling Adobe Reader 10.1.2 and downloading and installing Adobe Reader 9.5 and it seems to have corrected whatever problem it was.  I am running Windows 7 with Mozilla Firefox.

• 11. Re: ADOBE READER MALFUNCTION/ERROR
                              trsrcst11 Level 1

TO ALL - my problem is solved!! I took admiraldps' suggestion and uninstalled Adobe Reader 10.1.2; then downloaded Adobe Reader 9.5 - which works beautifully. Just like it knows what it's doing. Apparently 10.1.2 has a problem which must be corrected by Adobe. Thank you, all, for your comments and/or advice. Ken