17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 7:27 PM by Arrakis

cut and paste bug

Arrakis Level 1

Im having an issue with cut and paste commands. I can't paste anything unless I copy first then cut. If I cut then try to paste edit>paste will be shaded out and commandX does nothing. Sometimes its not shaded out but will paste what I have previously copied.

I found this out during a tutorial in which I had to cut and paste an effects paint layer to a new solid.

Im using CS5.5 on Macbook pro i7 8GB OSX 10.7.2.

So far I have tried - resetting preferences on start up. - Edit> purge >all. - Turning off system shortcuts. -Rebooting. None of these have made a difference. Anyone else had or having this issue? Any advise on what I should do next to try and resolve? Cheers.

• 1. Re: cut and paste bug
          bogiesan Level 4

Repeat or bump posts may not help; it tries the patience of the collective.

First, in what other CS applications does this occur?

Second, in what other Macintosh apps does this occur?

Thrid, does this happen at the fincer and OS level? Cutting and pasting between folder names. perhaps?

• 2. Re: cut and paste bug
            Arrakis Level 1

Sorry for the repeat but my other post I wasnt exactly sure of what was happening so it was a bit unclear but have now realised that its definitely a problem with the cut function.

I tried Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash and cut/paste works fine within all three apps.

As far as OS level - it's not part of the Apple system to 'cut' files from folder to folder etc. The option is there and becomes enabled when text is selected. But not files. I tried with text edit, address book and  mailbox and it works perfectly. I also tried with garageband and no problem there either.  I then tried with microsoft word and again no issues.

It looks to me like this is defintiely a bug within after effects.  Im not sure what I should do. If I should just not worry about it as its so minor or if I should reinstall and see if this fixes it.     Any other suggestions?  Thank you.

• 3. Re: cut and paste bug
              bogiesan Level 4

I asked:  < Cutting and pasting between folder names. perhaps? > in which you would cut and paste the names of folders, not files.

But, 'tis no matter.

It's not a bug in Afrter Effects; it's a problem limited to your copy of After Effects. Never seen this in twenty years so I can't help you much other thatn to suggest, gasp, you reinstall the product since trashing the prefs for AE did not clear this up.

> resetting preferences on start up<

Just to doubl check, you mean you actualy burrowed into the Library and trashed the After Effects preferences?

• 4. Re: cut and paste bug
                Arrakis Level 1

I cut and paste folder names as you instructed and it worked fine.

I did the shift option command to reset prefs. I didnt physically move it to trash.  Where exactly is it?  If I do this, will I lose anything?        

If I reinstall just after effects Im not sure how to do this. I have the Master suite disks, can I just reinstall after effects only or do I have to reinstall the entire suite?  Thanks

• 5. Re: cut and paste bug
                  bogiesan Level 4

Look for something like this com.Adobe.After Effects.10.0.2.plist in your user library. User Library.

There shoudl be help for reinstalling on adobe.com someplace.

Reinstalling does not rewrite this file. What you might lose is only a bunch of settings.

• 6. Re: cut and paste bug
                    Arrakis Level 1

Ok I just discovered something - If I cut and paste from layer to layer it works fine but when cut pasting from layer to solid I must copy then cut and paste.  Is this how its supposed to be?? 

regarding the files - there are these four files - com.adobe.AfterEffects.plist   com.Adobe.After Effects.10.5.plist   com.Adobe.After Effects.10.5.plist.lockfile  com.adobe.AfterEffects.plist.lockfile

Which one should I get rid of?   Should I move to trash and then empty?  Or should I keep it somewhere else?      What kind  of settings will be lost?  

• 7. Re: cut and paste bug
                      bogiesan Level 4

Wartching your previous posts, you don't have enough experience with AE to worry about the prefs you're going to lose. But you can store those prefs files in another location, you don't need to trash them. Just grab 'em and put them in a folder, maybe on another drive if you ahve one.

I don't have any with "lockfile" in the names, can't elp you there, I'm runing CS5.0+ updates.

Relaunch the application and AE should rebuild them all.

• 8. Re: cut and paste bug
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can hold down the Ctrl+Option+Shift while you launch AE on a Mac or Cmnd+Alt+Shift on a PC and you'll be presented with an option to delete your preferences file.

You also find the prefs file under your User/Library/Preferences/Adobe directory. It sounds like you're looking in the wrong place. Don't delete the .plist files. When you relaunch AE after removing the files a new Preferences file will be created.

If you can't find the User/Library file in Lion then open up the finder, brouse to your user directory, then select Finder>Go>Go to folder and type Library. If you want to always be able to get to the Library files in Lion open up the Utilities>Terminal app and run this command fromt he command line:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

That's it.

• 9. Re: cut and paste bug
                          Arrakis Level 1

Not sure why you are telling me to cmd alt shift again. I already did this.  

As I have said I have noticed that this issue only occurs when cut pasting from a layer to a solid. I can cut paste form layer to layer fine.  So Im thinking its normal.  Can you please try cutting an effect from a layer to a solid and tell me if you have to copy cut. Thanks

• 10. Re: cut and paste bug

Cut and paste works exactly as expected on my Mac. I can cut and paste effects from one layer to other, from a layer in one comp to a layer in another comp. The only time cutting an effect won't paste in another comp is when there's no layer selected in the second comp.

The only thing that I can think of is that there may be something else installed on your system or there's some update that hasn't been run that's fouling up your cut and paste. Sorry I couldn't find a solution for you.

• 11. Re: cut and paste bug
                              Arrakis Level 1

But have you tried cut and paste from layer to solid?     It works for me from layer to layer and comp to comp but layer to solid seems to require copy then cut.   Please try and let me know.  Cheers.

• 12. Re: cut and paste bug

What kind of Layer? If it's a shape layer it won't paste unless the shape was created with the pen tool because the other shapes are not defined with bezzier paths.

Effect to Effect works, Video to Solid works, Shape layer effect to solid works. Shape layer to Layer doesn't because they are different. Instead you get a new shape layer.

Am I being clear? Cutting any effect from any source and pasting to another layer or source should work. Cutting any layer in one composition and pasting in another composition or timeline doesn't replace the layer you've selected in the timeline, it adds a new layer to the timeline. This makes complete sense to me.

If you select an effect on a Shape Layer, not a shape animator, but an effect like Paint and cut the effect then you go to another layer in the same composition or another layer in another composition, paste will should add that effect to the layer. I take it, that doesn't happen for you unless you copy and paste. Maybe I'm not understanding the problem.

• 13. Re: cut and paste bug
                                  Arrakis Level 1

Im not sure how I find out what kind of layer as it just says "layer1"

Here is the process-

1- Double click my layer (line drawing imported form illustrator)

2- Use pen tool - silhouette luma, write on - to mask linedrawing

3- Exit layer mode and create new solid

4- Cut and paste paint effect from the layer to the new solid

Step 4 is where the issue occurs.

Im beginning to think its meant to be this way

• 14. Re: cut and paste bug
                                    bogiesan Level 4

asukulu wrote:

Im having an issue with cut and paste commands. I can't paste anything unless I copy first then cut. If I cut then try to paste edit>paste will be shaded out and commandX does nothing.

Then you say:

As I have said I have noticed that this issue only occurs when cut pasting from a layer to a solid. I can cut paste form layer to layer fine.  So Im thinking its normal.  Can you please try cutting an effect from a layer to a solid and tell me if you have to copy cut. Thanks

Which is it? These are not the same issues at all. If I try to decode what Rick is telling you, you're trying cut or copy stuff that can't be cut or copied.

• 15. Re: cut and paste bug
                                      Arrakis Level 1

If you read the whole thread in the order in which it is being written you may understand that more light has been shed on the issue since the first comment you have quoted. Obviously the way things go is that one discovers a problem then one discovers more information about it. So yes I may have said one thing and then said another thats because earlier on I didnt realise it is only happening from layer to solid.     Perhaps you might try cutting from layer to solid and see if it works for you because I have already established that it doesnt work for me.  Perhaps its normal AE behaviour?     Perhaps if you are an expert you might know the answer.

• 16. Re: cut and paste bug

Followed your steps exactly and it's exactly like I said in my previous post. Cut and paste works for effects. Here's exactly what I did except for the part where I created the worst illustrator art that I've ever seen. Just two layers, lovely colors. The .ai file is imported as a comp with retain layer sizes selected. A black brush is chosen set to write on and silhouette luma. The size is adjusted to cover the line easily, I paint on the line, press the e key to reveal the effect in the timeline. It's there, it's also in the ECW so I select the effect, cut it, go to the composition, use Cmnd+Y to create a new layer and paste Cmnd + V and the paint effect is applied to the solid.

There's something going on with your machine, some third party plug-in, some other app, some other issue that's preventing this from working.

Here's my little movie of the whole experiment.

I'd make sure that your AE version is the latest, that you have your memory and processing set to the defaults, and that you're not running any other apps while testing AE. If there's still a problem, file a bug. Your machine is not behaving as my machine and every other Mac I routinely work on is behaving.

• 17. Re: cut and paste bug
                                          Arrakis Level 1

Hi Rick, Thanks for taking the time to try and duplicate the issue and thanks for the video also. By the way are you using a mac or pc?    Im baffled as to why this is happening and have no idea how to resolve it.   Im glad its only a minor thing though as I think I can cope with having to copy first before cutting occasionally.  I just tried again and it is still happening but as I said its only happening from layer to solid so far.

Edit - I just tried with several effects and also with position. scale etc and they all worked fine. However when I try to cut the paint effect the problem occurs. Seems its specific to paint effect only!