15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 7:25 AM by Acemon99

Background Colors Won't Print

Acemon99 Level 1

Hi,

I created an amazingly crude, one-page website for a client. It's nothing but images, which suits him just fine, except that when he prints it the blue background color doesn't appear.

Any suggestions?

www.ourhealthcarecrisis.com

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

The background printing is a function of the browser and not the webpage.  Firefox, IE, Safari and Opera I believe can print backgrounds.  Chrome does not.

• 2. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
            Acemon99 Level 1

I tried IE and FF - neither will print.

I suggested to my client that I add a "Click here for printable version" but he doesn't like that.

I'll pass along the info. Many thanks.

• 3. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
              mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Acemon99 wrote:

Bur the question is already answered so what went wrong [AGAIN] ?

• 4. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Acemon99 wrote:

Prints fine here.

I suggested to my client that I add a "Click here for printable version" but he doesn't like that.

The page is already a printable version anyway since the entire page, including all text, comprises images which are scans of printed material.

Printing the blue background color with it (or not) seems irrelevant.

• 5. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                  J Cellini Level 3

You have received expert advice from everyone who has responded. I suspect you created images instead of text because are avoiding using html and css so a print stylesheet is probably something you don't want to consider. My suggestion is to create a PDF for the print out. It's easy to include a link on the web page and it will be easy to print out, background and all. You can create your poster in Word (Word 2007 and 2010 have background colors) and then convert it to a PDF. You'll get a much better print out--more professional--then printing it from a webpage with images for text.

• 6. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                    Acemon99 Level 1

Perhaps my recent change to Windows 7 is responsible for the problem and has a code issue with an HP 1012. In the Preview window the background doesn’t show, either.

The client wants blue all the way around the text boxes, so for him the background color is crucial. He was irritated that it didn’t print the way it looks onscreen. He designed the site itself using MS Word and he expects it to look exactly the same way. He didn’t care for the html version despite tweaks and adjustments, so having it as several images made him very happy. He’s paying, so it’s his choice.

A PDF would be quite easy for him to make his tiny changes in Word, then create another PDF and replace the previous version. He doesn’t want a “click to download…” anything.

Regardless, I appreciate the original answer. My response was intended to be helpful but it doesn’t appear such since yours is the second email I’ve received. I’ll try to explain myself better in the future.

• 7. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                      Acemon99 Level 1

Yours is the third response I’ve received and, like the others, you’re peeved with my behavior.

As I wrote in the just-a-minute-ago reply, the client designed the site with MS Word and wants it to look exactly like he created it. Regardless of the tweaks and adjustments I made, he wasn’t happy. I used the image of his document instead of formatted text and he was instantly pleased. He doesn’t want visitors to “have to click anything” to print the site, so the PDF option is out. I think it’s awful but this is the way he wants it, and since he’s paying the bill I need to go along.

Now… as to your comment regarding html/css, I’ve done several nice, well-presented and functional sites. I’m not an expert with Dreamweaver but I do pretty well. Take a look at freeskibus.org or insaneskitrain.com if you’re curious. Fairly clean code, stylesheet in place and all of it works. Better yet, it provides the content in a neat manner that appeals to many of the viewers. I’m not trying to “avoid” anything.

Indeed, I received expert advice. I fully appreciate the help. I’m not indifferent or unthankful. My response was too brief when I simple wrote that it didn’t work for me. Next time I’ll be more verbose.

• 8. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                        Acemon99 Level 1

The question was answered, which I fully appreciate and indicated so. My response was intended to be helpful because within the answer I received was speculation that several browsers might work (but Chrome definitely wouldn’t). I tried IE and FF to see if I missed anything the first time and with my hardware/OS/software it didn’t work. Next time I’ll add more explanation.

Yours is one of three emails I received regarding this. I clicked “correct answer” when my question was answered because I understood where my problem was. I’m sorry that I appeared to be some kind of ***.

• 9. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                          mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Acemon99 wrote:

Yours is the third response I’ve received and, like the others, you’re peeved with my behavior.

We are "peeved" because we are getting more and more nutters whose interest is to post their link to spam us.  To make things worse, you were very fortunate to get away this time without your post being deleted before it is seen by experienced people like John Waller.

Consider yourself fortunate this time because there won't be next time for you.

• 10. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

?

What's this rebuke all about?

I'm not peeved at all. I don't see any reason for hysterical responses or deletion of any posts.

AFAIK, it was a perfectly reasonable question from a reasonable person.

I was just curious about the passing remark about background colors not printing with Win 7/IE or FF when it works for me. Nothing more.

The question has been answered. Acemon99 seems happy with the responses.

We all move on.

• 11. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                              J Cellini Level 3

I wasn't peeved with your behavior nor was I impugning your abilities. I was merely suggesting an option for printing out your web page. Acknowledging that others had given you good advice was not intended to imply anything about you; my intention was to convey that in addition to the good advice of others, I have another suggestion.

• 12. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                                Acemon99 Level 1

Thank you. I’ll be more articulate in the future.

• 13. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                                  JBrill1970

I do realize this question has been answered but to satisfy your customer what you may want to do is create the background as an image with a z-index for the layers. So instead of setting it as a background image put it inside the

<div class="container"> with a z-index of 0 and with a fill of 100% since it's a solid color it shouldn't distort so you can make it relativly small, not saying this will work 100% but still an option you can try.

• 14. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                                    MurraySummers Level 8

Wrong.  If you are still using 'layers' you are in the wrong decade!

And a z-index of zero, although legal, will get you into more trouble than you want.

• 15. Re: Background Colors Won't Print
                                      Acemon99 Level 1

I can’t believe this discussion has continued. I’m also surprised at the exclamation mark.

I guess I’ll go back to using Front Page.