10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 3:27 PM by Peter Spier

Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background

anastaciawlk

Hello everybody.

I have a document with a tree (I made it myself on indesign) and a text on the side, and I would like to save both as a jpeg file. I have tried several ways to do this, such as exporting the file and save it as a jpeg file, but it seems that when I do this there's still a white background, so I was wondering if I can somehow save it w/out this background because I need to print this in a paper bag (and the paper bag is black!).

I hope you can help me.

• 1. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Export a PDF.

JPEG cannot have tranparency -- it's not supported in the format.

BUT, if the bag is black, what color are you planning on printing on it? You'll need an opaque white ink behind your color to make it show as anything more than a darker black area on the bag.

• 2. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

I need to print this in a paper bag (and the paper bag is black!).

You need to clarify a few things. What do you mean, print in a paper bag? The bag is black, do you intend to print onto something that is already black?

• 3. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background
              anastaciawlk Level 1

I'm sorry if I wasn' clear with my question. The tree and the other object aren't black. On the shop the lady told me that she needs a jpeg file so she can print it onto a paper bag, but since everytime I save this as a picture it seems that it keeps this white background I was wondering if I could save it w/out that, otherwise when printed you'll be able to see the background, and that isn't nice!

• 4. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background
                anastaciawlk Level 1

Sure, the tree and the other object aren't black.

What do you mean with export pdf? I'm sorry, I don't know that much about indesign as you can see.

• 5. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background

Well, it really doesn't matter if the background of the jpeg is white unless you are printing white ink or you are pring the background color on the bag at the same time you are printing your images. Under normal conditions, white areas are simply places where no ink is laid down on the paper. If you want white ink, jpeg isn't the right format as it doesn't support spot color spot channels, either, and you'd need a special spot color plate for the white.

But back to printing on a black bag... Has this lady got any other black bags with stuff printed on them? Is she the printer, or is she just ordering bags from a distributor?

• 6. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background
                    anastaciawlk Level 1

She is the printer because I only need a mock up of a paper bag and I was able to make a deal with her (that's why I'm only printing one). Nevertheless, as you told I cannot export this to a jpeg because I won't be able to apply transparency, but I can do that in photoshop right?

• 7. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background

anastaciawlk wrote:

What do you mean with export pdf? I'm sorry, I don't know that much about indesign as you can see.

File > Export > PDF (Print) and pick the Press Quality preset. Your PDF will look like it has a white background if you look at it on screen in Acrobat, but if you Place it in a new ID document on top of a colored background you'll see it has no background at all.

I don't think you are grasping the big issue here, though. To get color to show, you need to be printing against a white piece of paper. Anything else will become a component of the final color and will change it. If the paper is already black, anything you try to print on top of it without essentially painting the print area white first is just going to become darker black with a color cast. You won't get any bright or light colors.

Normally, if you want colors on a black background you print it all on white paper, printing the black background at the same time and leaving a "hole" in the black backgorund everyplace that there should be some other color. For bags, this would mean that the printing is done before the bags are "converted," or folded up and glued.

It's not impossible to print onto black paper, it's just a lot more work, and requires extra preparation.

• 8. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background

anastaciawlk wrote:

She is the printer because I only need a mock up of a paper bag and I was able to make a deal with her (that's why I'm only printing one). Nevertheless, as you told I cannot export this to a jpeg because I won't be able to apply transparency, but I can do that in photoshop right?

I'm now pretty confused. If she says she can print from a jpeg, it sounds like a "process" job (CMYK translucent inks). Perhaps she's going to do a single silkscreen print for you? Printing an opaque white layer is fairly common in silkscreen, but would be impossible on any sort of digital printer, and way too expensive for a short run on a printing press.

If you want a transparent image from ID, the best way to get it is to export to PDF. If you need to convert that into a pixel-based image, you can open the PDF in Photoshop at the appropriate resolution for the printing process and save as either a transparent .psd or transparent .tif, but you cannot save a tranparent jpeg becasue such a format does not exist. Again, though, at this point I can't really tell if you actually need the transparent background.

• 9. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background
                          anastaciawlk Level 1

Okay, I get it now. I was basically totally confused about the printing process. She actually asked for 3000 swedish krona (aprox. 431 usd) for a printing job, so I'm gonna follow your advice and do what you told me. Export to a pdf file and print it onto a white paper bag and that's it, otherwise it's a mess.

• 10. Re: Export indesign cs5.5 to jpeg w/out background

Talk to her again and find out how the printing is going to be done, and exactly what you need to provide. Until you understand all of that, you are just spinning your wheels.