7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 12:59 PM by Mylenium

Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5

Toomany3 Level 1

So before you say "post this over at Maxon's site," let me first say I have.  And the word is it's an AE problem.

For some reason I cannot get the C4D plugin to work on my main monster computer.  I have been able to install it as part of a trouble shooting venture on 3 other computers (old laptops, etc.), and everything works fine.  But for some reason, I cannot get AE to import the AEC file C4D creates.

I have searched around online and haven't seen anyone else with the problem.  And since was able to get it to work on 3 other temp. installs, I'm left to conclude that it's my computer or AE install.

I have uninstalled all of CS5.5 and reinstalled it, but to no avail.  Any other suggestions?  Is there a way to do a COMPLETE wipe of CS5.5 including registries? 

• 1. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What version of C4D exactly? The latest .053 update? Also what computer? Where are the scenes and AECs stored? Anything unusual about the 3D project? Does the import work on a previous version of AE on teh same system using the correct R13 plug-ins? Can you provide the AEC and possibhly C4D files for inspection?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5
            Toomany3 Level 1

THanks for the reply.  It's Prime R13.051.  I'm running Windows 7.  In my trouble shooting process, I simplified it as much as possible and I ended up just animating a camera in C4D around a cube over 30 frames.  This opens in AE CS5.5 on other computers, but not my main workstation.

I have reproduced it on as a low res 200x200 file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49190831/Troubleshoot.zip

Thanks for looking at it.  From the looks of it (at least to me), everything works just fine since I can get it to work on another computer.  But the AEC file won't import into AE on my main workstation.

EDIT:

To clarify, this exact project I posted works on one of my comptuers, but WON'T work on another.  They are both running the OS (Win7) and everything on the two is essentially the same as far as software goes.  The difference is the main workstation is 10 times faster.

• 3. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5
              Toomany3 Level 1

Sorry, to answer some of your other questions:

I don't have CS5 installed any more, just CS5.5.  I'm 100% positive it is the R13 plugin for CS5.5.  (I've probably downloaded in 10 times now).

The only thing I can think of is I ran some kind of Red Giant script to install my plugins a few months ago when I upgraded.  I think this script changes something so that the CS5 Red Giant plugins will install automatically in the CS5.5 folder.  I had a lot of grief with this since I ran the script wong at some point.  Since then I have gotten my problems with RG plugins straightend out, but perhaps this has somethign to do with it?

But I think AE sees the plugin, because BEFORE the C4D plugin was installed, if I tried to import the AEC file AE would give me an "unsupported file type" error.  Now I get no error message upoon import.  AE flashes a quick dialog box that (I suppose) says something about importing.  But nothing ever ends up in my project panel.

• 4. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5

I'll have a look at this at home. Don't have CS5.5 here at work due to technical restrictions...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5

As far as I can tell, this seems to work just fine on my system. I even messed around with importing the 3D scene. No problem at all. Therefore this is probably more a systemic problem on your system. What I would do is the following:

• Look, whether not another app has registered the *.AEC file extension.
                  • Find out whether this app is adding some context menu handlers of its own that may kick in whenever such a file is accessed.
                  • Similarly have a look, whether this fiel type may be blocked in your virus scanner/ firewall/ security tools.
                  • Check your user permissions on the directories you store your files in. Since they are inherited, the files may have something going on there.
                  • Do the same for the AE plug-in directory. Should not be an issue, but you never know...

If nonbe of that reveals any culprits, you will most likely have to use Sysinternals' System Monitor to monitor all file and registry operations initiated by AE. Set the tool to filter on AfterFX.exe, then watch in the list which operations have a failure mark. With that info we may be able to advise further.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5
                    Toomany3 Level 1

Mylenium, thank you so much for all your help and looking into it for me!

I have found the problem.  Somehow, probably leftover from R12 and CS5, I had an old copy of the plugin sitting in the common folder. This wasn't even in the AE Plugins folder, so I never saw it, but it was enough for it to cause AE to not know how to handle it.

Since I could get it to work on another computer, and so could you, I thought I would just run the clean uninstall utility and wipe 'er all out and start over from scratch.  I was backing up all my plugins when I ran into this little bugger.  Deleted it and woo-la!  My plugin's working.

Thanks again! 

Hopefully this thread helps some poor soul not have to go through 6 hours of troubleshooting in the future!

• 7. Re: Cinema 4D R13 Plugin Not Working with AE CS5.5

Glad you figured it out and it was something so simple, after all.

Mylenium