5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 9:12 AM by peter minneapolis

How can I automatically set the Space After value on the LAST bullet in a list?

Shaz_VanillaSpin

I am setting up a long document in which all my headings and copy styles have a consistant space after of 4mm.

I would like my bullet point list to have a space after of 2mm between each bullet. But I would like automatically set the last bullet in the sequence to have a space after of 4mm so that all the paragraph spacing is consistent.

Is there a way to set this up so that I dont have to manually select the last bullet and change the space after each time? I dont want to add a space before value to any existing paragragh styles.

This is the result I am aiming for:

Bullet Example.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How can I automatically set the Space After value on the LAST bullet in a list?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Shaz_VanillaSpin wrote:

Is there a way to set this up so that I dont have to manually select the last bullet and change the space after each time?

It sounds like you may be using a manual override. Although it wouldn't be much less work, it would probably be better to have a copy of the bulleted paragraph style that has a different space after, if that's not something you're already doing. It would give you the ability to change the value throughout the document—should you decide to at a later date—than using a manual override would.

The only automatic way (that I know of) would be to set the original bullet paragraph style to go to the copy as it's next style, but that would only work if all of your bullet lists were two bullets in length. I'm not a scripter, so there may be a solution there, but I can't advise you on that (although someone likely will, if that's an option).

• 2. Re: How can I automatically set the Space After value on the LAST bullet in a list?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your Space Before your headings should be say 2mm - then your space after on your bullets would be 2mm.

That would = 4 mm

• 3. Re: How can I automatically set the Space After value on the LAST bullet in a list?
              francisjayaraj Level 1

What Eugene said is correct, but in case you don’t want to add a space before the title,

You can create a new style for last bullet with the 2mm extra space Hope fully this will help you without any manual override of styles.

• 4. Re: How can I automatically set the Space After value on the LAST bullet in a list?
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find when this happens it seemed logical when you first set up the Paragraph Styles that the spacing you put in seems logical.

But if you reverse the Body style Before and After space - say if you have

Before 2mm

After 1mm

to

Before 1mm

After 2mm

Then do the same for the Bullets

Before 1mm

After 0mm

to

Before 0mm

After 1mm

I just find that it does seem logical to do it one way - but in actual fact if you reverse the paragraph spacings you initally put in you'll get a much better spacing between Bullets and the next Paragraph.

• 5. Re: How can I automatically set the Space After value on the LAST bullet in a list?
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Shaz_VanillaSpin wrote:

I am setting up a long document in which all my headings and copy styles have a consistant space after of 4mm.

I would like my bullet point list to have a space after of 2mm between each bullet. But I would like automatically set the last bullet in the sequence to have a space after of 4mm so that all the paragraph spacing is consistent.

Is there a way to set this up so that I dont have to manually select the last bullet and change the space after each time? I dont want to add a space before value to any existing paragragh styles.

This is the result I am aiming for:

Bullet Example.jpg

Thanks in advance.

As already mentioned, you can set the space before the paragraph that follows the bullet list to a value that creates the space you want.

To automate the process almost completely, you need to create and stick with a strict style guide that requires certain paragraph styles before and after lists and other items or objects. What makes it difficult is that InDesign, like almost every text-creation tool, combines the space after and space before values. So, you need to think through every possible sequence of paragraphs and come up with the right space before and after values for any and all situations. In some cases, you'd need to make paragraph styles with the same space values but with slightly-different style names to accomplish this. In passing, I'll note that FrameMaker's space between paragraphs is set by the larger of the after or before space value. It's not better in most situations, but it's easier to plan the values, because there's only one possible space no matter what style follows whatever style.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices