I have Adobe Reader X installed on a Windows 7 64bit OS. Most of the time (95%) when I try to open pdf files that I've saved locally or on the web the process (AcroRd32.exe) will start, but the application and the file do not actually open.
Sometimes I can shutdown the computer and restart and I'm then able to open pdf files.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application, but the status does not change. I still continue to have problems opening pdf files.
I have searched, but cannot find this issue in the discussion board...most users get some type of error. I checked the event logs on Windows and there are no errors.
I've found the same issue using Acro Reader 9 on Windows XP.
Sometimes, when I try to open some PDF documents which are locally saved on my computer, the process AcroRd32.exe (and AcroRd32Info.exe) starts immideately, but the window is not shown for a long time (more than some minutes); trying to start Adobe Acrobat Reader from start menu, the window is shown immideately but it becames "not responding".
It seems that this behaviour is related to some recent file that it is not more accessible (perhaps because it was located on an unavailable network path).
To solve this issue, try to reduce the number of recent files (Edit -> Preferences -> Document -> set "Document in recently used list" to 1) and to open a PDF file that it is available locally (in order to set the last used file); then close and restart Adobe Acrobat.
In my opionion it is a bug that it is still present with Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.4.7.
Thank you. I've made the change and so far it's working.