4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2008 6:16 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director 11, unicode

LINiLund
      I have a Director project where I read data from a SQL Server database via an in-house developed Xtra. In Director 11 denomination fields are automaticly translated so the danish special characters area unreadable. (Underscores and carrie returns...etc) How do I solve this? In older version of Director it worked fine (no translations). I guess Im not familiar with the new Unicode features, but I cant find my way around it using the manuals. Sorry, /Lasse
        • 1. Re: Director 11, unicode
          Level 7
          I would guess that your in house xtra will need to be reworked in order
          to deal with the Unicode characters that D11 is sending. Pretty much any
          xtra that uses text (particularly non-ANSI text) needs to be reworked in
          order to work with D11.
          • 2. Re: Director 11, unicode
            Level 7
            Windows or Mac?

"LINiLund" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g1v4r1$93v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have a Director project where I read data from a SQL Server database via
            >an
            > in-house developed Xtra. In Director 11 denomination fields are
            > automaticly
            > translated so the danish special characters area unreadable. (Underscores
            > and
            > carrie returns...etc) How do I solve this? In older version of Director it
            > worked fine (no translations). I guess Im not familiar with the new
            > Unicode
            > features, but I cant find my way around it using the manuals. Sorry,
            > /Lasse
            >

• 3. Re: Director 11, unicode
              LINiLund Level 1
              Windows
              • 4. Re: Director 11, unicode
                Level 7
                download:
                http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtrema.zip

assuming that myStr is the string you have retrieved from your database, try
                using:
                put _sx( myStr )

Better yet:
                put _sx( myStr, 1250 ) -- were 1250 is the central European ansi codepage.

If the above doesn't work, (try to use a small myStr and), send me the
                result of the following command:
                put _sx( myStr ).bytelist()

If it works, and if you can modify your Xtra, check the Windows API
                WideCharToMultiByte and MultByteToWideChar commands.
                If you intend to use your db with dir11 only, it would be better if you just
                updated the database to utf8:
                Create a movie that will read all of your database string data, and replace
                them with the utf8 result of _sx(myStr).dirString()

"LINiLund" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g205hr$amf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Windows