5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 8:51 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign Frozen

Barb111111

I was working in an ID document, and the cursor just quit.  I cannot do anything, can't even scroll. I can move the curosr around, but it will not select anything, I can't type or even save the document.  When I bring up another program, the cursor works.  What's happening?  What can I do to save this document?  Working with Windows 7 and ID CS5.

Thanks,

Barb

• 1. Re: InDesign Frozen
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do KBSC work?

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign Frozen
            Barb111111 Level 1

No

Barb

• 3. Re: InDesign Frozen
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is going to be really scary...

First, go to Explorer, and if you can make a copy of the file (you might get denied access) and put it someplace safe.

Now the scary part. Kill ID so that you can restart and hope that autorecovery allows you to export the file to .idml. You do this by opening Task Manager (you can do that by right-clicking in the system tray at the bottom right of the Windows status bar). Understand that if this doesn't work, your file is probably corrupt beyond recovery, so you might want to wait up to an hour first to see if whatever is hanging the program finishes. I'd shuit down as much other stuff as possible, too. That said, if the file doesn't recover on it's own when you wait, killing it probably won't make it worse, and it will start ID in autorecovery mode when you relaunch, so if the file will open you'll get the chance to immediately export to .idml before attempting to do anything else. If that's successful, also try doing a Save AS to a new name so you get an additional copy, then close ID again (normally) Relaunch and see if either the .idml or the new saved file will open.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: InDesign Frozen
                Barb111111 Level 1

Hi,

I ended up doing a cold boot, luckily, auto recovery saved my work.

Many thanks!

Barb

• 5. Re: InDesign Frozen
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Gotta love ID's autorecovery.