6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 3:34 PM by leejcob

When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?

leejcob

I am starting a new document with CS-5 that is a pamphlet with different header and footers on the cover page, back page and internal pages. How do I designate the AA cover page, BB back page and internal A Master pages in the page menu?

• 1. Re: When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi leejcob,

It's not clear to me which application you're using to create this new document, but this is the forum for Adobe BrowserLab - a tool for cross-browser testing for webpages. I think you'll have better luck getting an answer if you post your question to a more appropriate forum here

If you let me know which application you're using, I'd be happy to help point you to the correct forum.

Mark

• 2. Re: When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?
            leejcob Level 1

Thanks Mark. I am using In Design CS-5. I also have a problem after I create a

document with page layout of 4 spreads with 8 pages. I use this arrangement

during the writing phase due to the ease of going from each page in numerical

sequence. I can then print a PDF in numerical sequence for editing purposes.

However, the printing facilities we use requires a 9 page 5 spread layout so

that he can print the 8 page document properly. I cannot figure out how to get

an in-line single page PDF for easily editing and correcting from the printing

format. Any simple procedure for converting from one format to the other without

loosing any of the final data would be most helpful, and sure increase my old

brain functioning capability.

After retiring from Sikorsky Aircraft as a design and development engineer for

over 42 years, I volunteered to design and edit the Sikorsky Archive

Newsletters, which we upload to our website at www.Sikorskyarchives.com . They

can be accessed by pulling down the Newsletter pull down menu. I have been

preparing these about 5 years now, and forced myself to learn Adobe In Design

starting with CS-3. I have since upgraded my old brain to CS-5, but am still

learning on my own hunting, pecking and cursing while I learn by making many

mistakes. Must be my experimental trial and fail development background. I find

it more fun than reading the manuals.

Any help you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Lee Jacobson

• 3. Re: When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?
              Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi Lee,

The InDesign general forums are here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_general

I'm moving your question there now.

Best of luck,

Mark

• 4. Re: When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                After retiring from Sikorsky Aircraft as a design and development engineer for

over 42 years, I volunteered to design and edit the Sikorsky Archive

Newsletters, which we upload to our website at www.Sikorskyarchives.com .

That is so cool. When I was 13 years old, you had my dream job

I use this arrangement during the writing phase due to the ease of going from each page in numerical sequence. I can then print a PDF in numerical sequence for editing purposes. However, the printing facilities we use requires a 9 page 5 spread layout so that he can print the 8 page document properly. I cannot figure out how to get an in-line single page PDF for easily editing and correcting from the printing format. Any simple procedure for converting from one format to the other without loosing any of the final data would be most helpful, and sure increase my old brain functioning capability

Well, usually when InDesign forum regulars hear something like this, they say "Imposition is the printer's job." I don't know if you are printing in-house, or if you're handing this off to a commercial printer. From your phrase "printing facilities we use" I'm guessing that you're printing it yourself. The way that I'd do this if I was going to print the booklet myself is: I'd design in "reading order" (1, 2, 3, 4... 8) and then use File -> Print Booklet to make a PDF that was set up correctly to be printed & folded with correct pagination (1, 8, 2, 7...). The output you get from Print Booklet is PDF only, so you keep your editable InDesign document in reading order, but your PDF is set up in booklet-printing order. (You can always export a PDF from InDesign if you want a PDF in reading order.)

There are other solutions if you need more flexibility, but this is the solution that leapt out at me.

• 5. Re: When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Good answer for windows users and mac users still on Leopard, but not so easy in Snow Leopard or Lion.

What's the OS?

• 6. Re: When creating a new document, how do I designate an AA  cover master and BB back page master?
                    leejcob Level 1

Joel,

Thanks Joel, you solved my problem relative to the INDD creating version for a

document vs the printing version for the printers. Your suggestion works fine.

Lee Jacobson