10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 3:31 PM by Joel Cherney

Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format

camem_bert

Hello,

I'm translating a comic and have converted the indd file to idml, translated it with my xliff cat editor and reconverted it to an idml file.

How can I send the texts in the idml texts back to the indd file format? is there a push-one-button solution?

Thanks for your answers!

Regards,

camembert

• 1. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

File > Open... then pick your .idml. Save as .indd.

• 2. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format
            camem_bert Level 1

yes, but when i do that the indd file does not have all the image material. so i have text on grey with no images but in an indd format.

my question should have been how do i superimpose the text from the idml on the original indd file with all the images?

thanks!

• 3. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah yes, welcome to InDesign translation workflows! You will always need to relink all of your images.

(If you started with embedded images, you unfortunately just learned why you must un-embed images before starting a translation.)

• 4. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format
                camem_bert Level 1

ok thanks for that,  how do i do the relinking?

and before you answer, the translations are all stored in  my tm, so i could restart the process from the beginning. what's to do before idmlising the document so that the translations can be send back by a push-one-button only solution? please don't tell me there is none...

thanks again,

camembert

• 5. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format

Nice to see someone in the Adobe forums actually using TM tools.

I'll answer your questions, but not in the order you wanted. Sorry, don't know how much you know about ID, and I don't want to give you any misleading advice. There are two possibilities here:

1) This document was built the right way. The images are in separate linked files. InDesign will display a low-res preview that gets saved in the INDD. The high-res images (Photoshop files, TIFFs, whatever) are separate files.

2) This document was not built the right way. The high-res images were pasted directly into InDesign.

So, in order to give you the right suggestions, you need to visit your Links panel so we can figure out if your images are linked or embedded. Go to Window -> Links. What do you see? What version of ID are you using? Do you see the names of missing files in that panel? Do they have the red-circle-with-question-mark?

Untitled.png

• 6. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format
                    camem_bert Level 1

the document was made by a publishing house and they are destined to be printed in quite a high volume, so i imagine they are doing it right.

there are red circled question marks in the link window and when i open the docs, there's always a message 'links missing' or something like that.

i do not have the original images, i imagine i got a light version of all docs.

so what are the next steps?

thanks for the answers, this one and the coming one...

regards,

camembert

• 7. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format

... Sorry, you're probably out of luck.  "Doing it right" would include either a) giving you all the tools necessary to complete your task, or b) giving you instructions "just send us back the IDMLs and we'll relink the images." Here's what is going on here: When the comics-layout guy placed the Page 6 illustration into InDesign, InDesign harvested a low-res 72ppi preview from the probably-300-ppi image file, and saved it in the INDD. That's what you saw when you opened the source file. When you exported IDML, you converted that INDD into a markup file - IDML - that has pretty much everything in it that the INDD did, barring the image previews. That's why, when you open up your IDML, you just get the grey boxes -the IDML knows where those images were, but it doesn't have the preview data anymore.

What I would guess that you want, here, is to see your translations in context with the images. Do you need to manipulate speech bubbles to account for text expansion? If so, make a PDF of the client's source doc and place on a new layer in ID, in front of the missing images but behind your translation. That way you can see what you're doing.  Are you trying to deliver something that looks exactly like what you received but for the translated content? I think that the only way to get that will be to copy/paste your translated content back into the source file, once you've manually stripped out all of the source language. That will take you rather more than one click. 

I don't know if your customer/supplier/whathaveyou is CAT-savvy enough to understand why the low-res previews are blown out of the translated doc, otherwise I'd advise you to just deliver the IDML. Chances are slim, right?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you can fill in any more details, I (or one of the other regulars) might be able to make a more useful suggestion. If this is going to happen to you on a regular basis, then the closest thing to your one-click solution would be to prepare your files carefully before starting translation by placing all to-be-translated content on a separate layer, and to have a Javascript set up to automatically take all of the content from one file (your post-TM IDML that you just opened in ID) and spit it into another file (your client's source file, stripped of all source language so it's just the 72ppi image previews). That's... uh... sorry, that's still lots of clicks. I've found over the years that translation workflows tend to be click-heavy unless everyone involved understands translation workflows. If your client is a savvy translation consumer, then you can email them with your concerns ("I can't give you final files that have your image previews still in 'em because I am a TOTAL PRO and am using computer-aided translation tools that only work on IDMLs which strip out image previews") and their response will be "Oh yes translation provider, let's adjust our workflow so that it is functional for all participants." Or "Heck, just send the IDMLs and we'll take it from here."

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format

I just figured out that this other thread was yours, too. There's a chance (with a source filesize of 450 megs) that the source file does have images embedded. You could try right-clicking on an image in the source file and, if available, selecting "Unembed image."  It'll ask you if you want to link to the original files, which you of course don't have, so you'd say "No." It'd then make those files out of the data stored in the INDD. Because they'll already be named correctly, you should be able to relink those to your resultant IDML file. I dunno, just a possibility.

• 9. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format
                          camem_bert Level 1

concerning my other thread that's something else, the project is over now.

but thanks a lot for your help. I'm a little disappointed as I thought I had found something miraculously simple with an xliff editor, able to communicate with so many file formats among which indesign. I wasn't aware of the complexity the last mile between the translated idml and the indd file.

as it is going to be regular i might ask the client to put all the texts in one layer, i guess that would speed up the clicking tremendously if i understood you right. could i then make a new file from the text layer, transform it to idml, translate it, reconvert it and replace the  text layer in the original indesign file? or do i have to invent a javascript routine which i would not be able to do by the way?

Regards,

camembert

• 10. Re: Translating Indesign Files - Sending back IDML to the INDD format

but thanks a lot for your help. I'm a little disappointed as I thought I had found something miraculously simple with an xliff editor, able to communicate with so many file formats among which indesign. I wasn't aware of the complexity the last mile between the translated idml and the indd file.

It's not complex when your client demands IDML for delivery so they can harvest your translated content and include it in their own TMs. That last mile is a minefield... which is why my job exists, I suppose.

as it is going to be regular i might ask the client to put all the texts in one layer, i guess that would speed up the clicking tremendously if i understood you right. could i then make a new file from the text layer, transform it to idml, translate it, reconvert it and replace the  text layer in the original indesign file? or do i have to invent a javascript routine which i would not be able to do by the way?

Well, somewhere around here I have the single-layer-to-new-ID-file already written, just give me a bit to find it. That's the nice part about extending ID's capability with scripting; you usually don't have to actually write the scripts yourself, because there is some kind ludicrous correlation between knowing how to use ID, knowing how to write JS, and being perfectly happy to give away your time & effort to strangers on the Internet. (Viz. this thread right here , so give me a day or two to rummage through my archives of half-completed scripting projects.)

However, you have the general idea... the real problem here is that your client does not expect you to be using any TM tools to do the translation, or they'd give you what you need to regenerate the INDD after translation. When I need to run an InDesign file through translation in a situation like yours, I often go to great lengths to avoid working directly in InDesign. For example, I might use Rorohiko's Quick Stitch to connect all of the text frames in the document into one long story, then export an RTF and run that through my TM tool. But, then again, I'm a localization nerd and you're actually doing translation work, so you probably expect to be doing less file-engineering work than I. Hence your request for a one-click solution, I'd assume.