6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 8:49 AM by Peter Spier

Background files opening on their own

EBPeach

I and my colleagues are working in a large book (17 sections, 1050 pages) using CS5.5 and Windows 7.

Each time we open a section to make edits, at least one other section opens itself in the background without being touched by the user. These files never fully open, but their .idlk files are active in their resident folder. While these extra .idlk files are open, editing in the original file slows to a snails pace, and often changes load one letter at a time. For example, if I double-click Section A to open it, the opening dialog tells me it is opening Section A as well as Section B, though I didn't request to open B. A opens fully, B does not, but B's .idlk appears with A's in the folder. B's .idlk file comes and goes, and changes to A render one letter at a time, very slowly, if B's .idlk is open. We have checked multiple times, and there are no visible links connecting any of the files, other than the fact that they are all part of the same book.

Today we discovered that, if we fully open B as well as A (or fully open whatever background file InDesign is opening in addition to the file we actually want), the difficulties in editing A disappear. However, we don't want to have a bunch of files open just to work on one file.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on? Are our files somehow corrupted?

Thanks!

EB