7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2013 10:30 PM by Lundberg02

How to calibrate display properly?

IZh!

Hello!

I want to calibrate my display properly and I am little confused.

There are too many settings and wizards. First of all there are display settings (brightness, contrast, black level, color temperature, sharpness). Second -- graphics card settings (hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, color temperature, color correction curves). Third -- there are Windows color management settings in Control Panel (ICC profiles, WCS profiles, etc). Fourth -- Adobe Gamma. Firth -- I can use colorimeter to set dislpay LUT.

How all that level of settings are related? In what order they should be changed? What color temperature is "best"? How Adobe gamma correlated with Windows 7 color management wizard? What is best? (They are producing different profiles.)

I "just" want to make photos of what I see, see it then on display more or less precisely and then print it.

Do you know good books or articles about color management?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
          thebestcpu Level 1

Color Management for Photographers by Andrew Rodney

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. Disable everything in the video card, or reset to defaults. Same with monitor.

2. Set Windows color management to "use my settings for this device" (the display). Leave everything else at default (or reset to default).

3. Connect the sensor and launch the software. Set white point temperature to D65 (6500K°), gamma to 2.2, and white point luminance to 120 cd/m². These are general purpose settings. You don't want to change them until you know why you would want to change them.

4. Adjust monitor brightness in the monitor's OSD controls to get the white point down to 120 cd/m². For this the calibrator should have a "pre-calibration"-function that reads the value off the screen as you adjust.

If the calibrator does not have a luminance target setting (some don't), adjust manually to a comfortable level that gives a good match to printed output.

5. Calibrate.

6. That's it, you're done. The resulting monitor profile is automatically set as default for that display, and Photoshop will find it and use it for display (whereas many other applications will just ignore it).

• 3. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
              scott-david-weaver Level 2

What do you mean by disabling everything in the video card? And how do you do that?

Thanks -

• 4. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
                thebestcpu Level 1

Good question seweavermm.

Access to video card control (if available) is typically done through either System Preferences on a Mac or the Control Panel on a PC.  The good news is that since you don't know how to do this then it is high probability it is in default mode and is a moot point.  It is my understanding that not too many video cards have  settings that are not reset by the by the actual calibration process itself yet put this step in for completeness.  The more important and common condition that must be done is setting the monitor to a condition that is stable and allows access to its full gamut.  I suggest to read the details of the instruction manual for the OSD controls for your monitor to verify that the default conditions meet those chacterisitcs.  Typical gotchas would be defaulting to sRGB color space which would limit the colors you could see or having a mode set that does anything dynamic such as scene adjusted brightness.  Another gotcha is when the monitor and software allow adjusting brightness for the ambient light - best to control the ambient light and have the monitor at a constant brightness so as not to invalidate any calibration/profiling done with the monitor.  Note that changing any OSD settings and fiddling with monitor conditions invalidates the calibration done as the calibration is only valid for the fixed conditions of the monitor at the time of calibration.  That was a lot more then the question you asked yet wanted to put things in perspective.  Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
                  Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

IZh! wrote:

How Adobe gamma correlated with Windows 7 color management wizard? What is best? (They are producing different profiles.)

Do not use Adobe Gamma. You probably got it many years ago. It was an interim solution before color management matured, and it has no integration with modern color management. In fact, it will conflict. Running Adobe Gamma with a current calibrator will probably make color management not work.

• 6. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
                    scott-david-weaver Level 2

Thanks so much for the info. Now that I work on a PC AND a Mac I do not find that calibration is really much easier than it was ten years ago.

• 7. Re: How to calibrate display properly?
                      Lundberg02 Level 3

Get the Color Munki spectrophotometer version and follow the directions. That way your printer and scanner will also be calibrated.