7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 9:52 PM by Rafiaello

BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE

Rafiaello

Hello everyone,

I have faced a strage error. When I apply ramp effect in AE and make any changes to it, BSOD happens. I can use AE and apply other effects without any problem. It happens only when I apply ramp effect.

What do you think can be the reason. Your comments highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance

• 1. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BSOD - Blue screen of death, probably means you're on a Windows machine. Don't know much about your project or your machine, or your memory, or your OS or your version of AE. I suspect that you're either short on memory, large on project, have an OpenGL problem, have out of date drivers, have no more room on your hard drives, or some other problem. Tell us a little more, like did this used to work? Has anything changed on your system since it worked? or just what kind of machine you're using, and maybe one of us can be of more help.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just don't have enough info to help.

• 2. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
            Rafiaello Level 1

First, thank you for your reply.

The configuration of my machine is:

CPU:                         AMD  Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

Motherboard:             Asus M4A89TD-PRO/USB3

RAM:                        DIMM DDR3 4096MBx3 PC12800 1600MHz Kingston HyperX Intel XMP CL9-9-9-27 [KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX] - 12GB

HDD:                        Western Digital Black Caviar 1 TB

GPU:                        Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6850 1 GB 256 bit

Power Supply:           Thermaltake EVO Blue 750 Watt

After Effects:            CS5

The size of project does not matter. I open a new project, new composition, add solid, apply ramp, change any settings and BSOD appears. I disabled OpenGL in preferences but it did not help. I can work with large projects with other effects without any problem. It appear only with ramp effect.

• 3. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you run the latest updates for AE? If that doesn't fix the problem try re-installling AE and running the updates. Ramp has been around for a long time. Something is probably corrupted somewhere.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
                Rafiaello Level 1

I have re-installed AE, but it didn't help. Today I will try scan if there are any corrupted files in Windows. Anyway, thank you so much for your kind replies and help.

• 5. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And what does the BSOD (or your Windows Event Viewer for that matter) actually report as the fault module?

Mylenium

• 6. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Rafiaello wrote:

I have re-installed AE, but it didn't help.

There's a difference between re-installing and updating.  Your version of the application may be AE 10.0.0, and it's up to 10.0.2 at least.  There were a lot of fixes in those updates.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: BSOD when applying ramp effect in AE
                      Rafiaello Level 1

I have uptaded AE and my version is 10.0.2.

I checked another thing. I installed YY_Ramp+ (Pixel Bender Plugin) and there was no BSOD while applying this effect.