16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 5:36 AM by jxdonahue RSS

Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs

novad3

Until the recent updates, I have had no difficulty saving and printing online/saved pdf documents. Today, my printer (set up for single page printing) was comandered by

Adobe PDF and went into double sided printing when when recent and past pdf documents were printed and checked.     

THIS IS AN "UNACCEPTABLE" UNANNOUNCED IMPROVEMENT (?).    I was not provided with any list of "options" to include/add/choose regarding default printer behaviour embedded in PDF saved/read/new documents. This used up printer time and  ink with loading, notices to reverse and/or note to add more paper. I now have to double check and clear the checked box for double sided, and clear PDF default.  When the same supposedly defaut free document is closed then reopened, the default free status has reverted to "double sided" 

It should be that this eco-friendly politically correct option should be a printing option that one should check to obtain when appropriate and wanted.  I should not be this stupid unannounced, poorly thought-out, aspberger-teckie enforced assumption of proper consumer conduct and needs.

• 1. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

You probably would be better off posting this in the appropriate Acrobat forum, but there certainly has not been any feature added by Adobe to either Acrobat, Adobe Reader, or the PDF file format to save some type of printing defaults within a document.

When invoked, the Acrobat / Reader print dialog will typically use the settings more recently used. Thus, if I print a.pdf with duplex, unless I change the setting, it will print the next print job, whether a.pdf or b.pdf with duplex. If after printing a.pdf with duplex, I print b.pdf as simplex and then attempt to print a.pdf again, the print dialog will indicate simplex, not the duplex setting I previously used for a.pdf.

No eco-friendly, politically correct option is being forced on you or anyone else.

You may want to check your printer driver settings. They may be the source of the symptoms you are observing.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
            Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

Sorry Dov, but novad3 is correct, at least in terms of the outcome if not the reason. It's a bug in the installer script for 10.1.2 (Acrobat and Reader) on Windows.

The redesigned print dialog has a "Print on both sides of paper" checkbox. Despite the concept of duplex-simplex being present in the old dialog, this new checkbox involved adding a new persistent flag to the code, which is stored in the new registry key HKCU/Software/Adobe/[[product]]/10.0/AVGeneral/iDuplexMode (where [[product]] is either "Adobe Acrobat" or "Acrobat Reader"). It's a DWORD value, and was not present before now.

For obscure reasons, many of the bit flags in Acrobat are inverted, so 1="off" and 0="on". If iDuplexMode is 0 or null (i.e. the key is missing) then the checkbox is ticked, and duplex mode is active (irrespective of whether the printer hardware actually supports it). If iDuplexMode=1, it's unchecked and you print simplex.

Unfortunately, the patch catalog script doesn't create that key, so the first time you print from 10.1.2 you'll get duplex mode. By unticking the box and printing something, Acrobat or Reader will create the missing key, set it to 0x0, and you're sorted - as Dov says it'll then stay in simplex until you change your mind again. There's no need to manually create the missing registry value, but you can if you want to (e.g. as part of Da Customizer rollouts).

• 3. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

novad3's post claimed that the duplex mode was not only persistent, but reset to duplex on even after turning it off. As far as all our tests show, that is definitely not the case.

- Dov

• 4. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

It depends when you look. As with all the hive values, iDuplexMode is written when the application exits, and the flag in memory is updated only when a willPrint event fires - so for example if you open the print dialog, untick the box, then press Cancel, opening the dialog again will still show it as ticked. You actually have to print something to change the value. Of course that's how it's supposed to work, but it can easily seem that it's not remembering your choice.

• 5. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                  novad3 Community Member

This is my thanks for the swift and professional responses by Dov Isaacs and Dave Merchant to my angry extensive diatribe about a glitch that could have been stated in one sentence/question.  

Since 11:55 a.m. Jan 11, after receiving Dov Isaacs' response e-mail notifaciton until this moment, I have attempted to e-mail multiple my thanks response.  This was my attempted response: (which I now had to retype, since copy and paste don't work on this reply message):

Thanks for your immediate response.  I wentthrough a recent document, changed setting to one sided in both printer page and document default, then printed that document single sided and saved it (replaced previous this this saved one).  then closed documents folder, reopened the PDF folder, clicked pring on this new replacement saved document.  It now retained the single page setting.  I went through other documents previously checked and each one now retained the single page printer setting.  

They all previously had retained the double paged setting of the very first pdf that printed double sided.

I now understand that whatever is page paper sided setting of the last printed saved document, once that document is printed, the printer reads future pdfs as the same setting, until a new document with a new setting is printed.  The last printed setting then is retained and applys to the rest of pdfs until changed and printed again in a new printing, etc, etc.  

Thanks for your (now Dov and Dave) immediate, professional response(s) to my outrage and stupid assumptions.  I stand corrected and I apologize. 

Now as a note for Adobe/Website from one who spent extensive time searching for anything that allowed me to ask a question, and once found, I posted my question to somewhere that God himself only knew where or who may respond. 

One simple  easy-to-fix glitch question from a consumer frustrated by naive endless website rovings to post the question, to me, incites outrage. I refuse to throw my computer out a 10 storey window, take an ax to my monitor and drive over it with my car and dump everything on the freeway.  Until now, I was taking a deep meditative breath and sputtering FY all. 

Compound that with the following seemingly avoidance behaviours and the sputterings become paramount.  Suddenly I am listed in Membership Areas (as an expert--someones got to be kidding).  My reply/reply to all resulted in the following return message: "jive-2063828440-vep3-2-2g;jz@mail.forums.adobe.com  email address as reply or as entered in new message was rejected by receivers servers and was returned as rejected--This is the mail system at host mail.sgaur hosted jivesoftware.com.   (In addition pointing to bottom of each message stating to email or at Adobe Forums and http link to page and Printing and Progress got me nowhere throughout  Jan 11 to 6:45 am Jan 12).  All areas resulted in message the services were unavailable, until the final message message Adobe is updating webpage.   Adobe contact us resulted in typical tips menues that avoided nonsense consumer e-mail direct contact to anyone, except telephone contact.  

To me, one simple solution to e-mail response notification:  At the first sentence of each notification e-mail state:  No Reply Response to message sender address allowed (whatever posted by other e-mails I receive).

I still don't know how I finally got here in the first place, but thanks to one and all for assistance.  No reply required, since I may never find this spot ever again.    K.D.

• 6. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                    jsaucier101

If I am deploying the updates, 10.1.2.msp, how can I use the customizer to change the Print on both sides default?

• 7. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                      jsaucier101 Community Member

I have tested that this is the case.  If you uncheck, print, close.  Reopen the box is checked again.  However, if you go to print/properties/finisher and uncheck duplexing, it retains the settings. 

Jamie

• 8. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                        Karpel_HD

Thanks for all the good feedback so far, but unfortunately even after testing several of the proposed fixes in this thread we're still having issues getting this setting to "stick".

Specifically, we are using a Konica-Minolta C353 which is already set to print single-sided through the web config (it does not appear to have this option in the driver settings, so the printer's configuration page is the only place to set it).  Adobe Reader continues to periodically default back to checking the "print on both sides of the page" checkbox for multiple users, even after unchecking it in Reader and successfully printing.  While this is checked, it causes all manner of oddities with the printer, including flipped pages, blank sheets printing between pages, and sometimes the printer jamming as it tries to duplex but cannot.

We can uncheck the box again and print, after which the setting sticks for a few hours - or at most a day - but then reverts again.  While the checkbox is inactive, all .pdfs print normally.

Does anyone have input on getting this setting to stay unchecked in a scenario like that?

• 9. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                          Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

It's being investigated. For local printing in typical setups, the "print both sides" checkbox does seem to be working properly, and remembers your choice until you change it again. However I'm seeing a number of reports that in enterprise scenarios (networked printers, multi-user profiles, etc.) it's going wrong in unpredictable ways. So far, I can't offer you any magic solution.

• 10. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                            Karpel_HD Community Member

Thanks for the update, Dave.  I'm just glad to hear it's being looked into and that we aren't an outlier with this problem.

For now, the users have been educated to verify that checkbox if they start having trouble printing .pdfs, and to uncheck it again if it has reverted.  That's not a long-term solution, but it will keep us running relatively smoothly until a proper fix is established.

• 11. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                              wedoleather Community Member

I have the same problem but when I change my setting to single sided printing it goes back to double-sided as soon as I reboot my computer.

It doesn't seem to retain the single sided printing.

• 12. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                                (--0|0--) Community Member

NOT Nice!

We ran across this issue after our domain-wide rollout of 10.1.2 - adding the iDuplexMode registry entry via Group Policy has fixed this for everyone for now...

Thanks Adobe :-)

• 13. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                                  GregEaton

Found this in another discussion this forum: seems to work for me ---- so far !!!

LoriAUC Community Professional  

This blog entry also offers some workarounds (if you're comfortable with registry edits):

http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2012/01/17/acrobatreader-10-1-2-printe r-blinkingpaper-tray-messages-caused-by-duplex-print-option/

• 14. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                                    jxdonahue

I have a single user setup - one computer: one printer.  Every pdf I open is set to print duplex.  Additionally, if I uncheck the "print on both sides of the paper box" and return to the Print Properties dialog box, its right back to duplex printing.  Please help.

Update - if I try to print the document, I get the following message, "The document has been configured to print using the Automatic Two-Sided Printing Modeul but the module is not installed in the device.  The document will be printed one-sided."  What module?  My printer defaults to single sided.  Is this an Acrobat module

• 15. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                                      novad3 Community Member

As originator of this topic and receiver of good suggestions, I may offer what worked for me regarding  your first paragraph.

1.  With my original PDf document, I checked the single sided box, then saved that changed document in my PDf saved documents folder.  

(I electronicely  receive various bills details from agencies).  I also rename them with date and company in the save as box that appears after clicking the "Save Document "floppy disc" icon that appears at the bottom of PDf.}

2.  After that single-sided document was saved as a single-sided one, I then went  back later, open my saved document and print it.         All my thusly saved PDF's, once this first one was saved before printing,  have continued to retain this single-sided option.     And I don't even concern myself about it when I save future documents.   To date, all past and future saved PDFs have continued to retain that single-sided initial saved document that I first printed.

3.  I don't trust going back to printing any PDF document directly from the web.  In the past, This has resulted in a reversion to double-sided printing.  Then if I saved that reversion after printing, all my other PDFs also became reverted to double-sided .      Also, If I printed one copy of the Web pdf with single-sided printing it prints that. If I close the web page, then reopen it, it reverts to double sided.  Similarly, clicking single sided, and printing then, then printing a different web pdf, I had to recheck the single-sided box in every document. 

This worked for me and I forgot about it or this string. until now.

I haven't trusted downloading Feb/Mar upgrades until I hear the original problem has been corrected or I check it out on my laptop without disrupting my main home computer.  Good luck. 

• 16. Re: Who/Why did recent updates embed default double-side printing all PDFs
                                        jxdonahue Community Member

Novad3,

Thank you for this fix.  It seems to have worked.  It seems that more than one user has had this problem.  It would be nice if Adobe investigated it more thoroughly and fixed it.  I guess that is too much to ask.