19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 1:33 PM by dan3430

adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing

tiffythom1966

I have a pc, it freezes when switching from one photo to the next. This is a new occurrance and very annoying since I have to force close and start all over again. I process tons of action shots, and this is making it take forever. I have a newer computer with an excellent processor and lots of RAM. Like I said, it's a new development. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
          korayust

Unfortunately its common problem. Sometimes freezes can couse damage on RAW files. So I strongly suggest that backup your raw files before opening.

You can also roll back to 6.5

Here is details:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4089670#4089670#4089670

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
            AlexOzerov

Same problem for me - and still there is no any offical ifo about this problem. Just one solution for now - roll back for ACR 6.5 - or beta 7.0 in new Lightroom

• 3. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
              Emilian Dechev

Same here!
              I updated my ACR just yesterday. When I opened some 50 files from a recent photoshoot, the app crashed all of a sudden. I was adjusting the "recovery" slider. The image that was selected during the crash, was corrupted. When I tried to open it, the error message: "cannot parse the file"

OK now for the really ODD part:
              Obviously the file was corrupted. But the files has NOT been rewritten or replaced. So I copied the "corrupted" file to another location. I succesfully opened it there. Then I moved the file back to its previous location. It did not open - "cannot parse the file". I moved it back ant forth between the 2 locations, until ACR finally opened it in the original location. So, by any means, I have no fricking idea, what could be causing such an ODD problem. It's beyond me...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                Yammer Level 4

Sounds like a cache/database problem. Are you using Photoshop or Bridge to host ACR?

• 5. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                  tiffythom1966 Level 1

I was using the Recovery slider as well on the files I was editing. I wonder if this is the problem. The file that it would freeze on also became corrupted but I didn't try moving or recovering the file. I think I will try editing without using Recovery and see if I still get freezing. If so, I'll try rolling back...

Thanks

• 6. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                    tiffythom1966 Level 1

So it's not the Recovery slider... I rolled back using info on how to roll back in the above link. Now I am having no freezing issues. I am glad I posted something and got a solution within the week. Thanks to you all.

BTW I am using Camera Raw in Photoshop CS5 extended 64bit, windows 7.

• 7. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                      Emilian Dechev Level 1

I rolled back too, to 6.5, and there are no problems

• 8. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                        tdshortell

I''ve been having the same problem with 6.6. 

The files are not actually corrupted, it's a problem with Camera Raw cache.  After closing Photoshop with task manager, go to Camera Raw Preferences from bridge and Purge the cache, then you can open the files fine again.

• 9. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Haven't seen any problems here yet with Camera Raw 6.6, to be honest.

It might be a good idea to list what brand/model camera the raw files you're converting are from.  This, of course, would cause entirely different code to run in one person's enviroment vs. another, depending on what camera(s) they use.

-Noel

• 10. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                            tdshortell Level 1

In my case, Canon EOS 7D, on Windows 7, 64bit with all the latest updates.  On an HP DV7 laptop with an Intel i5 and 8 gigs of ram.

Photoshop is CS5 64bit from the Web Premium package.  I always shoot full res raw files in the adobe color space if that matters.

I also went back and tried with some older files from my EOS 40D and EOS 10D, same thing.

It always seems to be related to opening more than 10-12 files at a time in Camera Raw.  It will lock up when going from one file to the next by clicking on them in the left hand panel of camera raw window.  This is just doing normal editing operations, you don't have to double click or click real fast or anything special to get it to happen.

The only way to fix it is to kill the Photoshop process in the windows Task Manager process list.  Then clear the Camera Raw cache before opening again or else camera raw will not read the file it locked up on previously.

This has been happening very regularly since I updated to camera raw 6.6.

Thanks,

Tom

• 11. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                              RASouthworth Level 3

How large is your Camera Raw cache?  I have mine set to 20gb - probably excessive but disk space is cheap.

Richard Southworth

• 12. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                tdshortell Level 1

Good call!  So far this seems to have done the trick.  My cache was set to only 1 gig, so I bumped it up to 10 and have opened as many as 50 files at a time several times now with no lock ups.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

The other question to ask is what is your installed ram and what do you have set for Photoshop to use? The odds are, some of the problems you may be facing are ram lited in nature. Remeber, opening many muliple raw images takes a lot of ram. Camera Raw is a plug-in to Photoshop and must call for ram from Photoshop. If you don't have a lot of installed ram and you have your Photoshop % usage too high, I wouldn't be surprised to see what is happening to you.

• 14. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                    tdshortell Level 1

I have 8 gigs of ram, 4.5 dedicated to PS.  I'm a pretty heavy photoshop user and have had this same setup for about a year now (see my above post) and I've never experienced this problem until ACR 6.6 which I updated to about a month ago. 

Based on the fact that increasing my ACR cache has proved to be a suitable workaround, my guess would be that it's an unhandeled error happening when you try to load more into the cache than it can hold which is freezing ACR and corrupting the cache.

• 15. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                      Noel Carboni Level 7

tdshortell wrote:

I also went back and tried with some older files from my EOS 40D and EOS 10D, same thing.

It always seems to be related to opening more than 10-12 files at a time in Camera Raw.  It will lock up when going from one file to the next by clicking on them in the left hand panel of camera raw window.

I just tried that using sets even larger of that of both 40D and 10D files (I don't have a 7D) and I wasn't able to get a lockup.  Nor did I see it using very much memory - just a few GB.

Are you seeing it consistently enough that it always happens in several runs?

With 8 GB you can generally comfortably configure Photoshop to use between 6 and 7 GB, by the way.

-Noel

• 16. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                        dan3430 Level 1

This has happened to me twice now... but I can't replicate it. Twice on 6.6 out of editing probably 10,000 photos with this version. I host ACR in photoshop.  I just checked and I currently have 4GB (out of 12 installed) listed as free.  My camera raw cache is set to 20GB.

Extremely frustrating little bug since it seems random and I don't know how to avoid it. I am rolling back to 6.5 today.

• 17. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Dan3430, just FYI with 12 GB of RAM on tap, and assuming you don't try to run other apps with big memory demands simultaneously with Photoshop, you can set your Photoshop RAM limit to 90% or a bit higher.  If you leave about 1 GB for the OS things run along smoothly.  I personally use a setting of 95% with 16 GB of RAM.

-Noel

• 18. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                            tdshortell Level 1

So, after about a week of use: 1-2 hours a day - a couple hundred pics each day (kids sports stuff) - running with my cache increased to 10 gigs instead of 1, it has locked up on me about 4 times now.  Still annoying, but definitly better than before where it would lock up about 80% of the time if I opened more than 12 images at once.  Since increasing the cache I'm opening about 20 at a time.  This is just to adjust color balance, exposure, crop and add a star to the ones that are in focus. 

I'm often running Eclipse at the same time (day job) so I have to keep some memory free for that, which is why with 8 gigs of ram, I only give photoshop 4.5.  Running eclipse or not has no bearing on the lockups.  They happen no matter what else is running.

Still, the fact is that this never happened before the 6.6 update, and nothing else on my system is changed.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and up the cache to 20 gigs and give it another gig of ram and see if that makes it any better.

• 19. Re: adobe camera raw 6.6 freezes when editing
                                              dan3430 Level 1

I have photoshop set to use up to 10gb or ram, but it doesn't seem to need it. I'll frequently load up 500-1000 5dmkii raw imgaes into ACR and I've never seen photoshop use even close to its alloted amount of ram. Without running a test, I don't think that with the way I use photoshop I've ever seen it using more than 4gb at a time

I've had the same exact system setup for over a year, and have been using ACR heavily for at least 4-5 years and I've never had it freeze until 6.6