5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 12:26 PM by Harm Millaard

Need storage urgently but don't want to make bad long-term decision

Matt Lee Andrews

Hi all

I must say, having read posts before writing this, this is one of the most helpful forums I've ever seen! The length and quality of people's responses, wow.

I really need advice on my next step. I run a small video editing business from home with Premiere Pro CS4 and the rest of the CS4 Master Collection. Work has been fine, no problems for 2 years, but now I've got a job coming in 2 days that will be about 400GB of BPAV folders and footage from Sony EX3s and I don't have space on my drives. So I'm looking for urgent advice as to what to buy next.

I have an i7-930, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5750, and my storage is as follows:

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - C:/ OS, Programs, pagefile on one partition; non-work docs, music etc. on another

Some 500GB 7200rpm thing - used for media cache and media cache files

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - T:/ Premiere Pro projects, footage, and when a project is completely done I keep it and its finished result altogether on here

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - U:/ Ditto as the above for more projects etc.

I also have a NAS with a 2TB F4 in, that I incrementally backup projects to daily, as well as keep a mirror of the finished projects. (And I need to add a drive to this soon too.)

When I'm editing a project on my U: drive, I use the T: drive for its previews and exports, and vice versa. This has come about through a combination of Harm's disk setup guidelines and building as I go. My PC is in an Antec P183, I have one internal SATA port left but the builder didn't supply the spare Antec long screws to go through their rubber mounts so I can't fit any more drives inside! Besides, that would be just one more drive, I'll only run out of space later.

My first thought was to get another F3 or similar drive and a hot-swap caddy that could go in one of my spare 5.25" bays like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/172727-antec-easy-sata-5-25-internal-hot-swap-hard-drive-caddy-easy- sata-eu. I rarely need to look at old projects, so I could "file them away" on drives kept safely, just move on to newer drives as needed and swap old ones back in on rare occasions that I need something. This was mainly because I can only add 1 more drive in my PC and I don't need all projects to hand. I also looked at the LaCie d2 Quadra external SATA drive, but I've heard they're unreliable and the ones I've had footage delivered on have been awful. I don't know if any others are recommended. And then the  third option is I know people on here use RAID or AID arrays (never seen anyone talk about AID elsewhere), and I'm already struggling to edit some HD footage so speed as well as capacity would help.

Whatever I do I'd like to buy it in the next 2 days so I can get cracking with the next job, and it has to be a stepping stone in the right direction for future capacity needs. So - internal drives in a caddy, good eSATA drives, or bigger than that - please advise! I guess budget is £100 for a drive, £300-400 for a (R)AID or something else.

Many thanks for your help

DM