7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 7:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?

bradnet1

I am in the middle of a DVD Burn to Folder with Premier Elements 10 64-bit (installed on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit).  I have 5 gigs of RAM but according to Task Manager only 2.11 gigs total are in use.  Soooo....does the advertised benefit of being able to make use of more RAM really exist?  In theory it should, but I feel a bit duped by what I'm seeing.

• 1. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A 64-bit OS will use more than the old ~ 3.5GB limit.

Now, there are many sub-systems, that can come into play, depending on the operation being performed. For instance, when doing DVD authoring, much will depend on the I/O sub-system. When editing AVCHD, or any H.264 material, the CPU will play a much larger part in the process.

Now, 5GB is a very odd amount of RAM. What is the bus type and speed of that RAM. I would expect to see something along the lines of 8GB, or 12GB, etc., but 5GB causes me to pause, and to question.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
            bradnet1 Level 1

After taking a closer look at all the Physical Memory items under the Performance tab in Task Manager as well as the Memory tab in Resource Monitor, I realized I didn't quite understand memory usage like I thought I did.  I did a bit of Internet searching on the subject and ran across http://brandonlive.com/2010/02/21/measuring-memory-usage-in-windows-7/ which did a good job of clearing things up.

While the Memory bar graph in Task Manager>Performance was showing only 2.11 gigs being used it showed nearly as much memory being Cached.  Apparently the two values have to be added in order to determine the total amount of data actually in RAM.  The cached data is information that is not currently being dealt with by the processor and held in RAM rather than being written to a page file on the hard drive.  Apparently all of my RAM (except for a few MB's) was in use after all.

I am working with VHS captured video that was captured in an H.264 format.  Since it is SD video I guess that would help to explain the lower amount of Physical Memory actually in use than what I expected.

Live and learn...

As far as the 5 GB of RAM...yeah it is a bit peculiar.  The computer is an older Dell XPS 600 with a Dual-Core 3GHz Pentium and an 800 MHz bus.  It originally had 4GB of RAM (Four 1GB sticks).  I came into posession of a 2GB stick of RAM and had to pull one of the existing 1GB sticks to use it.  So the three original 1GB sticks plus the "newer" 2GB stick gave me a total of 5GB's.

• 3. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For working with SD VHS tapes, I would NOT use a heavily compressed CODEC, like H.264. If you deliver via DVD, then you will be compressing yet again to MPEG-2. That is like a FAX of a FAX, as far as quality goes. Instead, I would use an A-D bridge, like the Canopus/Grass Valley 110, and then Capture to DV-AVI. The results will be much better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
                bradnet1 Level 1

Well...my capture device is a Happauge HD PVR which only captures to an H.264 format with ArcSoft total media extreme.  So far I haven't been able to get it to work with any other program.  Before that I used to capture the video uncompressed, which made for extremely large files (about 1GB/minute of video).

The video actually looks pretty good by the time it makes it to DVD...but the source video was VHS.

• 5. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There have been many issues with material from Happauge cards. Not sure how many were solved in this forum, but I would Search for "Happauge," and read those threads, as there might be some worthwhile tips, and maybe even some fixes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Yes, according to Adobe's promo video on PE10 it says the main advantage of PE10 64 bit version is the ability to make use of RAM larger than the 32bit limit of 4gb so you dont need to use a slow hard disk for paging.

Is is well known that having different size or speed RAM chips in the one computer can be worse than having a smaller ram of the same size.

It depends on your motherboard - some positively say dont do it in their installation leaflet

On my previous computer I originally had 2x1g = 2g of ram and added 2x500mb to make 3g and it ran noticably slower in PE 9 (32 bit)

RAM speed is often overlooked but it can be more important.

"It's not the size that counts" if you pardon the expression

• 7. Re: Does PRE10 64-bit REALLY make use of any extra RAM?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I also strongly suggest NOT mixing RAM. Keeping all of it the same mfgr., model and spec. is the way that I go, and suggest to others, even if it means replacing otherwise good RAM to get a perfect match across all slots.

Hunt