3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 6:57 AM by designnewbie

Can't paginate in book with cs5.5 on mac

designnewbie

I have a book document composed of 65 seperate docs - each a different chapter. I believe everything done correctly. All documents are set to automatic page and chapter numbering in the number and sections dialog box. All page numbering is set to absolute. The first chapter is 36 pages and that is seen in the book page range. The following chapters all show a page range of 1-8 (they are eight pages each) but do not follow in a sequence but start at 1 again. No matter what I try the pagination will not update across documents in the book. Help truly needed. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Can't paginate in book with cs5.5 on mac
          designnewbie Level 1

Ok well I got ride of absolute numbering to section numbering and all documents update except one. As mentioned, the first doc goes page 1-36 and the rest are 8 pages each. The second one is fine and goes 37-44 but the third chapter says 45-16 (it is 8 pages) and then the remainder of chapters resume properly 17-24; 25-32 etc. I can find nothing different about the third document at all.

• 2. Re: Can't paginate in book with cs5.5 on mac
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

45-16 is not normal, so somewhere in that document the page numbering gets reset to another value. Look in the Pages panel -- it displays the page numbers, so you can see at a glance where it goes wrong. If I am correct you will find that the first page with a wrong number has a new section applied with the option "Start Page Numbering At" checked, and some random page number filled in.

• 3. Re: Can't paginate in book with cs5.5 on mac
              designnewbie Level 1

Yes absolutely correct Jongware. I saw the second page in the pages panel went back to page ten. Couldn't see the section applied though so I just recreated that chapter based on the template and replaced doc. All is good now.

Now on to trying to get that darn TOC formatted correctly