4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 8:35 AM by noquiexis

Adobe Reader X on Windows Vista - Preferences problem

noquiexis

I have installed Adobe Reader X on Windows Vista Home basic (32 bit). I did allow the Chrome installation, but I do not use it. (I prefer Internet Explorer.) When I attempt to navigate the Edit -> Preferences categories, some of the pages are too big for my monitor (1400 x 900 pixels). Other pages display properly. The errant pages are:

Documents

General

Page Display

These pages are too long vertically for my monitor, and there are no scroll bars to scroll down to the remainder of the pages. I did try to resize the pages, but the bottom of the page is always below the lower edge of my screen. The monitor does not rotate. If I rotate my Windows display to vertical, I would have to prop the monitor up sideways in an unsafe manner to read it.

Any advice on how to resize these pages would be beneficial. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X on Windows Vista - Preferences problem
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

On my system, I am able to view the said preference tabs properly even with the resolution at 1440 x 900.

Could you please check the properties for the file AcroRd32.exe in your installation folder and let me know which option is checked under the "Display Options" section in the "Compatibility" tab.

You could also try and adjust the Display Settings using your Graphic Card Driver as well.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X on Windows Vista - Preferences problem
            noquiexis Level 1

Ankit Jain,

The Compatibility tab has three sections:

Compatibility mode
                      Settings
                      Privilege level

There are no check marks in any of the boxes on this tab.

My display settings are set at 1400 x 900. There is no option for a higher resolution. I should point out that the Reader X interface operates as it should. I can view, resize, and navigate PDF documents without any problems. The only problems are on the Edit -> Preferences pages.

thank you,

noquiexis

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X on Windows Vista - Preferences problem
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Would it be possible for you to share a screenshot of the page which is exceeding your system's resolution.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X on Windows Vista - Preferences problem
                noquiexis Level 1

Ankit Jain,

The screen shot below shows the limit of what I can see on the "Page Display" category of the Edit -> Preferences page. I can <Tab> down to the rest of the page, but I cannot see where the cursor lands. Since I cannot navigate to the bottom of the affected pages, I have no idea how long they are, or what other selections they may offer.

Usually the last two items that can be tabbed to are the <OK> and <Cancel> buttons. I did manage to <Tab> through until the cursor appeared at the top of my screen. I then used <Shift+Tab> twice to get back to the <OK> button, and hit <Enter>. As you can see in the screen shot below, I successfully used the <Tab> and 'guess' method to change the 'Default Layout and Zoom' percentage and the 'Resolution'. It is surprising that this very page was not scaled to accomodate that setting.

thank you,
                noquiexis

P.S.

You may notice that my Windows GUI is set to display at 120 pixels/inch, rather than the Windows default 96 pixels/inch. I do this because I have a hard time reading the smaller font size. I have had this computer since April 2009, and had fogotten that I changed the display settings.

I changed my Windows GUI display back to the default 96 pixels/inch long enough to make the other edits for my Edit -> Preferences, then changed back to my favored resolution when I was finished. Although this is a work-around for the page display problem, it is something that Adobe may wish to address in later versions of the Adobe Reader X.

Adobe_Reader_X_Preferences.jpg