2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 9:04 AM by CurtFinley

Problems creating Admin install for Reader 10.1.2

CurtFinley Level 1

I downloaded AdbeRdr1000_en_us.msi from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.0.0/en_US/ and AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.2/misc/.  I then executed the following command from a command prompt in the c:\somefolder directory

msiexec /a c:\somefolder\AdbeRdr1000_en_us.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp

I got

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

It seems like that should have worked …  What am I missing?  I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1.

Thanks for your help.

Curt

• 1. Re: Problems creating Admin install for Reader 10.1.2
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

You are creating the AIP incorrectly, thereby resulting in the error message. There are two things you have done wrong here, namely:

1. The Adobe Reader 10.1.2 patch (i.e. AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp) is to be applied only on the latest MSI released or afterwards. Thus, it can only be applied on Adobe Reader 10.1.0 or later (since Reader 10.1.0 was the latest full Reader released)

2. Any AIP creation process is a two- three step process as detailed below. Please see kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf for more information on the same.

i. msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi

(When prompted for an install location enter an appropriate location on your local disk. say C:\AIP)

ii. msiexec /a C:\AIP\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp

This should create the AIP properly and correctly on your system

Ankit

• 2. Re: Problems creating Admin install for Reader 10.1.2
            CurtFinley Level 1

Thanks.  That was very helpful.  As a suggestion for Adobe, this is unnecessarily difficult!  Some things that would make it less confusing are.

1. Don’t have so many versions of the installers.  Between the mui, the various languages and the tiers, there are a lot of options.
              2. Publish an MSI and an MSP for all versions you produce (including out of cycle patches).  That way people can quickly get what they need without having to know all the details of your patch patterns.
              3. Don’t have a different patch pattern for Acrobat and Reader!
              4. Finding MSIs and MSPs can be challenging.  Downloads for 10.1.2 can be found at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.2/misc/, ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.2/en_US/, and http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=windows&product=10.  One well publicized place where all versions could be found would be beneficial.  It would be nice if, on the front page of www.adobe.com where it says “Download” – you could actually download the product.  What those links do is install the product without a download capability.
              5. Someone pointed me to http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/wp-content/uploads/group-documents/14/1317760928-Acrobat_ Enterprise_Administration.pdf.  It’s a very useful document.  It would be helpful if there was a pointer to this document in all the places where you can download the files – or, just put the document with the MSIs and MSPs.

Thanks again for your help and your consideration of my suggestions.

Curt