4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 8:10 PM by jo@shopologist

Access "lost" CS files?

jo@shopologist

I just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.2 in order to get iCloud for my iPhone and lost access to my old InDesign CS and crucial documents.

How can I "retrieve" everything I've created in CS?

CS5.5 is way too technical and advanced (and costly) for my nonprofessional needs.

CS3 would probably be more appropriate. Are those $99 downloads offered online safe/wise?

Info and suggestions terribly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Access "lost" CS files?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.2 in order to get iCloud for my iPhone and lost access to my old InDesign CS and crucial documents.

"lost"? What does that mean?

Did you reformat your hard drive? If so, power off your computer immediately and send it to some place like Drive Savers and expect to spend a few hundred dollars on Data Recovery.

CS3 would probably be more appropriate. Are those $99 downloads offered online safe/wise?

No they're  neither safe nor wise nor legitimate. You'd have a hard time finding a legitimate CS5 purchase these days (though it is not impossible), but CS3 is essentially impossible.

• 2. Re: Access "lost" CS files?
            jo@shopologist Level 1

Sorry I was not clear. 10.7.2 does not support access to CS. The icon for the application in the dock is grayed out with a circle-slash over it.  When I click on the icon, I get a message that says "You can't open the application InDesign CS because Power PC applications are no longer supported."

• 3. Re: Access "lost" CS files?
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Oh, I see. The problem is you do not own a more recent version of InDesign, and you were depending on Rosetta's in 10.5 or 10.6 ([Snow] Leopard) to run the PPC InDesign version.

I think your best bet is probably to repartition your hard drive and install 10.6 alongside 10.7, and make it dual boot.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Access "lost" CS files?
                jo@shopologist Level 1

That sounds like a solution! Makes perfect sense.

I will check with the professional who installs these upgrades for me and see if I have enough memory on my hard drive and if that will otherwise work on my computer.

John, thank you very much for your help!