11 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2008 5:46 PM by William_Donelson

director player error: symbol expected

William_Donelson
      MM Dir v10.1 for OSX, running on dual G4 with OSX 10.4.11

I have built a Mac OSX projector from a project that works fine in the authoring environment. I have set Publish Settings to include linked casts (only one).

Anyone know what's wrong? It doesn't say (of course) WHICH symbol is missing. (Thanks, Adobe).
        • 1. Re: director player error: symbol expected
          Level 7
          Off the top of my head, I would guess that you have an xtra missing. To
          troubleshoot further, you will need to put a bunch of alert statements
          into your program and find out where it is crashing...

For example, put

alert "1"

at the beginning of your startMovie script... then put

alert "2"

at the end of your startMovie script. If it does the 1st alert then
          crashes before it does the 2nd one, then you know that it is something
          inside that handler that is crashing... continue sticking in alerts
          until you can find where it is going wrong.
          • 2. director player error: symbol expected
            William_Donelson Level 1
            Ah, debugging by Alert messages. How 1960s-ish. (And I should know, I started programming in 1968).

Is there some command in the Authoring Environment that will tell exactly WHICH Xtras were accessed during a run?

The Authoring Environment CAN tell (has to) which Xtras are being called...

And at run-time, would it be so hard for the "so sharp" Director programmer team to give an error messag which says, "Hey, I cannot find Such-and-such Xtra and I need it to keep living!"

I mean, after all this -IS- 1990 ! Jeez.

• 3. Re: director player error: symbol expected
              Level 7
              Yeah, I sympathize. Debugging projectors sucks. I don;t have MX 2004
              for Mac, and whenever I make a x-plat project, I really hate it when I
              need to figure out why the Mac version works different than the PC
              version. I would love it if they would give us a debugger that could be
              used in projectors. That would be sweet.

And, no I do not know of a way to find out which xtras are called in a
              project. You can query 'the xtralist' which will tell you which xtras
              are available to the projector (as in which ones are in the xtras folder
              and/or added to the projector). But nothing to tell you which scripting
              xtras you may have forgotten to add in...
              • 4. Re: director player error: symbol expected
                Level 7
                This could work:
                create a stub projector containing only the following (movie script):
                on preparemovie
                the debugplaybackenabled=true
                the trace=true
                end
                on exitFrame
                go to the frame
                end

run the projector.
                then, in the message window enter:
                go to movie "yourMovie.dir"

Since the scripts in 'yourMovie.dir' will have not been removed, the trace
                will
                probably work, dumping to your message window all commands that are being
                called.

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
                news:g1pq9c$m90$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Yeah, I sympathize. Debugging projectors sucks. I don;t have MX 2004 for
                > Mac, and whenever I make a x-plat project, I really hate it when I need to
                > figure out why the Mac version works different than the PC version. I
                > would love it if they would give us a debugger that could be used in
                > projectors. That would be sweet.
                >
                > And, no I do not know of a way to find out which xtras are called in a
                > project. You can query 'the xtralist' which will tell you which xtras are
                > available to the projector (as in which ones are in the xtras folder
                > and/or added to the projector). But nothing to tell you which scripting
                > xtras you may have forgotten to add in...

• 5. Re:  director player error: symbol expected
                  William_Donelson Level 1
                  Alchemist - VERY clever! Thanks.

What a lot of work though, to get around something left out of a product for TWENTY YEARS !

That's right, I had an early version of beta Director v1.0 in 1988 ! In fact, I was told on many occasions that I was Macromind's Best Beta Tester...

Come, on, Adobe. Wake up and smell the coffee !

( I am willing to take bets that Dir v11 is going to be the LAST major version of Dir ever shipped )

• 6. Re: director player error: symbol expected
                    Level 7
                    > Alchemist - VERY clever!
                    thanks. that's where the name came from, btw... All those alchemistic
                    methods
                    I had to invent to work around director quirks.

> What a lot of work though, to get around something left out of a product
                    > for
                    > TWENTY YEARS !
                    Odd as this may seem to you, I never missed such a feature - and never
                    heard anyone requesting it, for that matter. And though I was at school
                    back in 88, from v5 to now is still quite some years. Perhaps it has to do
                    with how my projects are built, but most probably because of how close
                    director's authoring mode is to the final output.

> Come, on, Adobe. Wake up and smell the coffee !
                    If I had to blame someone, that would be macromedia, not adobe - until the
                    next version at least (yep, I'm up for the bet).
                    Since v8.5, I was expecting some more advanced functions/objects. More
                    system and network functions, a turn of orientation from multimedia
                    authoring to application developing. And when I got fed up with waiting,
                    well, I started working on my "Director Pro" approach. New objects, new
                    engines, all packed in a tiny Xtra. Though the first version will be Windows
                    only, if you do have a pc or your machine can bootcamp in windows, I'd
                    certainly be interested in a beta tester with such a history.

Regards,
                    Harris.

"William_Donelson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:g1pvce$rk8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Alchemist - VERY clever! Thanks.
                    >
                    > What a lot of work though, to get around something left out of a product
                    > for
                    > TWENTY YEARS !
                    >
                    > That's right, I had an early version of beta Director v1.0 in 1988 ! In
                    > fact,
                    > I was told on many occasions that I was Macromind's Best Beta Tester...
                    >
                    > Come, on, Adobe. Wake up and smell the coffee !
                    >
                    > ( I am willing to take bets that Dir v11 is going to be the LAST major
                    > version
                    > of Dir ever shipped )
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re:  director player error: symbol expected
                      William_Donelson Level 1
                      I have to say, for 15 years now, I have been complaining to Macro-whatever, that they should concentrate LESS on new features, and MORE on fixing the crappy stuff that has been passed over in 200 different releases !

Like this issue; what modern language keeps you in the dark about modules that cannot be found? This is really archaic.

When I was programming the IBM 360 in Assembler language, it would tell you Exactly what was missing, as did 50 other languages I've worked with over the last 40 years!

• 8. Re: director player error: symbol expected
                        Level 7
                        > When I was programming the IBM 360 in Assembler language, it would tell
                        > you
                        > Exactly what was missing, as did 50 other languages...
                        There is a good reason director does not. First of all, most of the
                        languages that give such results are lower level languages and the do so
                        during the compilation procedure. With lingo, as a scripting language, there
                        is no compilation - other than converting scripts to arrays, or whatever it
                        is the thing director does when it 'compiles' its scripts. Script languages
                        (like e.g. lingo or asp) evaluate the scripts content at runtime. Director's
                        authoring environment will provide good enough debug info. As for
                        projectors, the less info they *can* provide, the more secure your movie is.

news:g1q1o7$mb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >I have to say, for 15 years now, I have been complaining to Macro-whatever,
                        > that they should concentrate LESS on new features, and MORE on fixing the
                        > crappy stuff that has been passed over in 200 different releases !
                        >
                        > Like this issue; what modern language keeps you in the dark about modules
                        > that
                        > cannot be found? This is really archaic.
                        >
                        > When I was programming the IBM 360 in Assembler language, it would tell
                        > you
                        > Exactly what was missing, as did 50 other languages I've worked with over
                        > the
                        > last 40 years!
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >

• 9. Re:  director player error: symbol expected
                          William_Donelson Level 1

"The less info they can provide, the more secure your movie is."

Yes, who cares. Not me. If you feel that way, then it should be an option, like in Many other languages (Flash, for one).

AND, when you're debugging, you don't care about security, if you care at all, ever. Only when you publish, if you care, do you care.

This Still Stinks, and don't try to convince me that crap is cake.

• 10. Re: director player error: symbol expected
                            Level 7
                            > This Still Stinks, and don't try to convince me that crap is cake.
                            Why should I try convincing you about anything?
                            Just wondering.. Why are you using director again after all these years?

Btw,
                            > Yes, who cares. Not me. If you feel that way, then it should be an
                            > option,
                            > like in Many other languages (Flash, for one).
                            Many Flash developers do mind a great deal that their 'locked' swfs can be
                            unlocked to source files.

news:g1q5j8$4am$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > "The less info they can provide, the more secure your movie is."
                            >
                            > Yes, who cares. Not me. If you feel that way, then it should be an
                            > option,
                            > like in Many other languages (Flash, for one).
                            >
                            > AND, when you're debugging, you don't care about security, if you care at
                            > all,
                            > ever. Only when you publish, if you care, do you care.
                            >
                            > This Still Stinks, and don't try to convince me that crap is cake.
                            >
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re:  director player error: symbol expected
                              William_Donelson Level 1
                              "Many Flash developers do mind a great deal that their 'locked' swfs can be unlocked to source files."
                              -- What I said before: OPTION, option, OPTION, option.

"Using director again after all these years?"
                              -- Again? I've been using it pretty much continuously for twenty years, with time off for good behaviour (6 - 12 months at a time).

Recently, I've used it continuously for the last three years with almost no breaks.

We use it mostly to deliver virtual tour kiosks for the disabled. I also use it to process string-based data, based on a huge library of Lingo code that I've built up over the last 10 - 12 years.

I rarely publish projectors for the Mac, thus the trouble today.