2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 10:40 AM by groove25

SURVEY: Blend mode options in Brush tool?

groove25 Level 4

layers.pngThis is a survey question for users of all versions of Fireworks. In Fireworks 8, I've noticed a difference in the Brush tool properties depending on whether the selection is an object or a mask—in particular, the Blend mode options do NOT appear in the Properties inspector when a bitmap mask is selected, *unless* the object was selected first, as well as the Brush tool.

Please try the following, and let me know the results:

1. Starting with the Pointer tool, select a bitmap mask (by selecting its thumbnail in the Layers panel) and then choose the Brush tool.
        Does the Blend mode menu appear in the Properties inspector?
      2. Now, with the Brush tool still active, select the thumbnail of the object being masked.
      3. Now select the Pointer tool, and then re-select the Brush tool.
      4. Finally, re-select the mask, with the Brush tool still active.

In Fireworks 8 (on Mac OS 10.6.8), the answers to the above questions are, "No, no, yes, yes." So it is possible to use Blend mode options with the Brush tool when working with a bitmap mask, but it's a convoluted process to get those options to appear. I'm interested in whether later versions of Fireworks exhibit the same behavior. Anyone with a different version, please chime in.

Brush_no blend options.pngBrush_mask w_blend options.png

UPDATE: I'd still like to hear from users of Fireworks CS3, CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 on this question! Please take a moment to help. All it takes is a Fireworks document with a bitmap object and a (non-vector) mask. Be sure to indicate what version of Fireworks you're using.