5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 11:13 AM by Gonterman1201

[AS][CS5]Use of Scripting Label no longer working from CS4 script

lithodora

We recently upgraded from CS4 to CS5.5. A good majority of my scripts no longer work.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS4"

set contents of text frame "expdate" of page 1 of document 1 to "Works"

end tell

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5" to

set contents of text frame "expdate" of page 1 of document 1 to "Does not work"

end tell

There is a text frame with the script label of 'expdate'. I created the same document in CS4 & CS5.5.

The above script works in CS4. It does not in CS5.5.

I can't seem to find it in the guide what I am to change to.

Any help on this?

• 1. Re: [AS][CS5]Use of Scripting Label no longer working from CS4 script
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

With CS5, some things have changed: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/615381

Scroll down to read Shane Stanley's AS solution, or read the entire thread for a more complete understanding.

• 2. Re: [AS][CS5]Use of Scripting Label no longer working from CS4 script
            lithodora Level 1

I had seen that thread and I had tried using the method but got an error response.

[Shane Stanley] wrote:

Yes. To refer by item, you should use something like:

item 1 of all page items whose label is "whatever"

Instead of 'rectangle "photo1"', you need to use 'rectangle 1 whose label is "photo1"'.

I tried to use:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"

set myframe to item 1 of all page items of page 1 of active document whose label is "expdate"

set contents of myframe to "does not work"

end tell

Error is variable myframe is not defined.

Then I tried

set contents of item 1 of all page items of page 1 of active document whose label is "expdate" to "does not work"

end tell

that seems to work, but I have documents that have multiple items with the label. So, I'll make some sort of repeat to deal with that....

Just an odd way of having to do it.

• 3. Re: [AS][CS5]Use of Scripting Label no longer working from CS4 script
              sstanleyau Level 4

I tried to use:

set myframe to item 1 of all page items of page 1 of active document whose label is "expdate"

set contents of myframe to "does not work"

end tell

Error is variable myframe is not defined.

I'm a bit surprised -- your snippet works as expected here.

• 4. Re: [AS][CS5]Use of Scripting Label no longer working from CS4 script
                lithodora Level 1

Well I rebooted the computer and used that snippet again and it worked as I expected it to. Odd.

Here's what I ended up doing:

--CS5 Way

repeat with z from 1 to count of (every page item of page 1 of active document whose label is "expdate")

set myframe to (item z of all page items of page 1 of active document whose label is "expdate")

set contents of myframe to expdate

end repeat

--set contents of text frame "expdate" of page 1 of document 1 to expdate --CS4 Way

It seems that what I was doing before only worked because CS4 would change every text frame whose label is "expdate" in one command.

The CS5 method isn't that much different other than I must define which of the items to change.

Is there a better way of going about this then?

Thanks

Message was edited by: lithodora

• 5. Re: [AS][CS5]Use of Scripting Label no longer working from CS4 script
                  Gonterman1201 Level 1

Why not just version the script so it runs on 4? app.scriptPreferences.version = 6.0;