9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 1:14 PM by chillic82

Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?

mallorywhite Level 1

Hi there,

I have a video clip in which I want to take the audio of actor speaking and put it onto another video.

I.e. he is speaking about walking in the park. I want to take him speaking about walking in the park and put it onto the clip where he is actually walking in the park.

How do I do this in premiere elements 10?

• 1. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are several ways to accomplish this, and your choice might well rest on how you like to work, and what you are doing, such as Deleteing Video.

First, you could Export/Share just the Audio as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, from your Timeline, and Import that into a New Project, where the Audio WAV file would be used.

OTOH, you could Atl-click on the Video portion of the muxed file, and Delete the Video, leaving only the Audio portion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
            mallorywhite Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess my question now is how would I do those two things?

In terms of exporting the audio, where can I find that option when I'm on timeline?

What do you mean by "Alt-click" and what is a "muxed file"?

Thanks again,

Mallory

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:01:51 -0700

To: mallory_white@live.ca

Subject: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?

Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Welcome to the forum. There are several ways to accomplish this, and your choice might well rest on how you like to work, and what you are doing, such as Deleteing Video. First, you could Export/Share just the Audio as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, from your Timeline, and Import that into a New Project, where the Audio WAV file would be used. OTOH, you could Atl-click on the Video portion of the muxed file, and Delete the Video, leaving only the Audio portion. Good luck, Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4139273#4139273

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4139273#4139273. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Or you can just add the video/audio clip to your timeline, right-click on it and select Delete Video. This will leave you with the audio only from the clip, and you can then drag it to wherever on the timeline you want to use it!

• 4. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve's suggestion is also a very easy way to achieve what you want.

For the Alt+click and "muxed," aspect of a file, here is a bit more info:

When one has a muxed file, it means that it has been Multiplexed, and contains both an Audio and a Video Stream - all "muxed" into one discrete file.

The Alt+click on one Stream, either the Audio, or the Video, un-links the two Streams, so that you can perform operations on one, without affecting the other. Say that you have a muxed Clip (both Audio & Video Streams), and want to perform an operation, like Delete, on one Stream, you would Alt+click on that Stream (part of the file), and it will be un-linked from the other Stream. Then, if you Delete that Stream, the other one stays. Alt+clicking can be useful for other operations too, such as Trimming just one Stream, for J, or L-Cuts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
                  mallorywhite Level 1

Cool yeah that's what I want to do....but how to I add the video clip to the timeline as audio?

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:09:59 -0700

To: mallory_white@live.ca

Subject: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?

Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?

created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Or you can just add the video/audio clip to your timeline, right-click on it and select Delete Video. This will leave you with the audio only from the clip, and you can then drag it to wherever on the timeline you want to use it!

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4140093#4140093

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4140093#4140093. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 6. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, you are ONLY adding the Audio Stream from a muxed Clip.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
                      chillic82 Level 1

Hi everyone. I'm just starting out myself on editing although used to do some many years ago. I'm also looking to take an audio stream from a 'piece to camera' and mix it with about 6 different scenic shots, returning to and from the piece to camera scene throughout, all the while keeping the piece to camera audio playing in the background. I see it done on a lot of interviews etc on TV and in documentaries etc.

I understand the concept of splitting the audio from the video, and in my head i'm visualising cutting say 4 secs of the original piece to camera scene, then ending it, adding 4 secs of scenic footage #1, then dragging the original scene back into the timeline for a second time realigning this to the audio already spilt from the first version of it which has been playing beneath everything throughout, and cutting another 4 seconds out of it, before going into another 4 secs of scenic footage. My concern is the difficulty in getting the audio and video re-synced up each time I return to the original scene.

here's my attempt at an easy diagram.....

| orig piece | scenic1 | orig piece | scenic 2 |

| <---------------original piece audio-------------->|

Is there an easier way of achieving this in Elements where I won't have an arse of a time trying to sync the 2nd helping of 'original piece' to the original piece audio already in the timeline?

hoping ive explained that well enough. sounds confusing when I read it back hence the visual aids

• 8. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're making it too hard.

Just put your main video and audio on Video 1. Then add your cutaway videos and B roll on the Video 2 above it.

If you've got any more questions, you may want to start your own thread though, since this question isn't really related to the main topic. Starting your own thread will make sure your topic gets noticed as well as ensuring that you don't hijack someone else's topic.

• 9. Re: Extracting audio from video clip to use as narration?
                          chillic82 Level 1

Understood. and I also understand your reply. many thanks for the advice on both counts. that'll save me some frustrating hours