8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 2:25 PM by Peter Spier

CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit

cammag

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing alot of issues since I have upgraded my operating system from Windows XP 32 bit, to a Windows 7 - 64 bit.

I am working with CS3. I can be working on Indesign and all of a sudden it just disappears. No warning, no error messages, just disappears. Then when I try and reopen it, the application does nothing. If I try and reopen an old file, the machine just sits at a stand still. I have also noticed that all the Indesign icons (from previous files) do not appear as the little Indesign purple icon.. they are just blank white pages.

Also, I can no longer PDF anything... I get an error code from this, but not sure how to read the error.

Does anything have any solutions to offer me, as I have tried to reinstall the entire CS3 program, but that obviously did not help.

I am willing to take any advice I can get at this point.

• 1. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... Well, I use CS3 daily on 64-bit Win7, so rest assured it can be made to work.

However, first off: when you say this:

I have been experiencing alot of issues since I have upgraded my operating system from Windows XP 32 bit, to a Windows 7 - 64 bit.

do you mean literally "upgrade?" As in, you threw a Win7 disk into your XP machine and just installed Windows 7 on top of Windows XP? Or did you buy a new computer, or did you format your hard drive before installing Win7?

Also, I can no longer PDF anything... I get an error code from this, but not sure how to read the error.

Proabably unrelated, but if you could post (at least part of) the error message, or a screenshot of the error, we might be able to figure out something from it.

Lastly, if you've already tried an uninstall/reinstall, then you may want to try again, but this time use the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool. If the uninstaller failed to uninstall files or settings, then the old files or settings could be interfering with your new install. The Cleaner Tool will go through your hard drive and registry (after you uninstall again the normal way) and exterminate any leftover bits of your previous install(s). This will probably resolve your issues, unless you did install Win7 on top of WinXP, in which case the uninstall-CS-cleanup-and-reinstall-CS routine might not be a one-shot fix for you.

• 2. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is no way to do an upgrade from XP to 7 so we can eliminate that.

Bob

• 3. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit
              cammag Level 1

Ok, some answers to your questions. I used to run Windows XP, and the Windows 7 was installed on top of that. My machine is a 64-bit.  Sorry, I am working in an office, so I always thought the machine was 32, but it definately says 64 bit.

I don't get any error message with my issues from Indesign... It just disappears and closes down. no warning, no error. Then if I try and double-click to reopen it just sits there, it doesn't even give me the cursor tool to see that it's trying to read it to open or anything like that. just nothing.

As for Adobe PDFing... a common error I get if I want to read something is:

"Cannot use Adobe Reader to view PDF in your web browser. Reader will now exit. Please exit your browser and try again."

Another if I'm actually trying to PDF will be

"%%[ Error: typecheck; OffenidngCommand: setglobal ]%

Stack:

false

%%Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%

%% Warning: Postscript error. No PDF file produced. ]%

Thanks so much for your response. It's difficult when working in an office and we cannot get any work done if the computers are down.

• 4. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit

Not possible. You cannot install Win 7 as an upgrade to XP.

As for the Reader error, what version of Reader is that?

Bob

• 5. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Bob Levine wrote:

Not possible. You cannot install Win 7 as an upgrade to XP.

Perhaps a detour through Vista on the way?

In any case, I'd try Joel's suggestion to uninstall, run the cleaner too, and reinstall.

• 6. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit
                    cammag Level 1

Sorry, I'm just supplying the information as much as I know. It wasn't me who tried to update it, so I just assumed that it was upgraded not installed from scratch.

So then it must have been wiped and installed from scratch to Windows 7. The version of Adobe Acrobat that I am running is Acrobat Pro 8.

My new error today is " a serious error has been detected and Adobe EPIC_APP cannot continue. Please reinstall the applications and try again"

I did do an uninstall and reinstall 3 days ago, but didn't seem to work. Not sure that it would help if I do it again today.

• 7. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit

I don’t believe Acrobat 8 is certified to run on Windows 7.

Bob

• 8. Re: CS3 crashing with Windows 7 - 64 bit
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

cammag wrote:

I did do an uninstall and reinstall 3 days ago, but didn't seem to work. Not sure that it would help if I do it again today.

I would do it again, especially if you didn't run the clean tool the first time. Before reinstalling though, run MSconfig and turn off EVERYTHING that is not essential to get the machine to boot. The CS3 installer was, to put it politley, finicky, and it would fail at the drop of a hat. Known conflicts include iTunes, Browser helpers and toolbars, instant messengers, and flash player (as I recall , flash palyer 9 actually had to be removed using a special tool), along with anti-virus and spyware scanners.