7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 3:44 PM by ekonyvolvaso

InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions

Peter Greulich

I have a document that I am trying to ensure is reflecting the cover image prior to uploading to several EPUB sites like google and Barnes and Noble. I am using Adobe Digital Editions, Calibre, Firefox (EPUBReader) to do the troubleshooting on the document. Calibre shows the cover image Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) does not. Are their any known problems with ADE not reflecting the cover image that I need to be aware of before I continue working on this?

The ADE help says the following:

"Once the items are in your library, there are two ways to view the content of any bookshelf. You can view thumbnails of your items. The thumbnail is the cover page of the item (or just the first page if it doesn't have a cover page). In this view, you see the set of thumbnails and some information about each item (author, title). You can also sort the order in which the items are shown by author, title, date created, number of pages, and so forth."

Here is basic informaiton. I have a cover page in my export to EPUB but ADE will only show the first page. Again Calibre shows the cover page.

CS 5.5

The project is a book (indb) composed of multiple documents (indd)

Exporting as book as an EPUB

On general tab I am "Use existing image"

I am rasterizing the first image in Indesign via the "Object - Object export options" but I am not selecting that option when on the general tab of the Export to EPUB options. I am chosing a file from my disk. I thought that maybe the file name was too long but I changed the image to "cover.jpg" and reexported it but it still does not work.

Here are the contents of the content.opf file with all the pointers. I have updated the file as I believe you can tell with guides, creation date, etc....

It passes the SIGIL check.

The image name is Democracy in Business Dust Jacket 300dpi.jpg. It is 300 dpi and 1650 x 2550. I could also cut in the one that I did for cover.jpg but it only replaces the file name.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0">

<metadata>

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe InDesign"/>

<meta name="cover" content="Democracy-20in-20Business-20Dust-20Jacket-20300dpi.jpg"/>

<dc:title>Thomas J. Watson Sr. Essays on Leadership - Democracy in Business</dc:title>

<dc:creator>Peter E. Greulich</dc:creator>

<dc:subject>Thomas J. Watson</dc:subject>

<dc:subject>Tom Watson</dc:subject>

<dc:subject>Tom Watson Sr.</dc:subject>

<dc:subject>Leadership</dc:subject>

<dc:subject>Democracy</dc:subject>

<dc:subject>Democracy in Business</dc:subject>

<dc:description></dc:description>

<dc:publisher>MBI Concepts Corporation</dc:publisher>

<dc:date>2012-01-01</dc:date>

<dc:source></dc:source>

<dc:relation></dc:relation>

<dc:coverage></dc:coverage>

<dc:rights>2012 All rights reserved</dc:rights>

<dc:language>en-US</dc:language>

<dc:identifier id="bookid">ISBN:9780983373438</dc:identifier>

</metadata>

<manifest>

<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>

<item id="css" href="template.css" media-type="text/css"/>

<item id="Book-Cover" href="Book%20Cover.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Authors-Works" href="Authors%20Works.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Title-Page" href="Title%20Page.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Copyright-Page" href="Copyright%20Page.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Dedication-Page" href="Dedication%20Page.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Table-of-Contents" href="Table%20of%20Contents.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Watson-Quote" href="Watson%20Quote.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="An-IBM-Caretakers-Perspective" href="An%20IBM%20Caretakers%20Perspective.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="A-Historical-Perspective" href="A%20Historical%20Perspective.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Thomas-J-Watson-Sr" href="Thomas%20J%20Watson%20Sr.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="About-Thomas-J-Watson-Sr" href="About%20Thomas%20J%20Watson%20Sr.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="About-the-Author" href="About%20the%20Author.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="Back-Cover" href="Back%20Cover.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

<item id="x1641.jpg" href="images/1641.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x3604.jpg" href="images/3604.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x5456.jpg" href="images/5456.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x5873.jpg" href="images/5873.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x5875.jpg" href="images/5875.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x6466.jpg" href="images/6466.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x6920.jpg" href="images/6920.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x7617.jpg" href="images/7617.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="x7725.jpg" href="images/7725.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="B-20--20Family-20Spirit-20--2035_fmt.jpeg" href="images/B%20-%20Family%20Spirit%20-%2035_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="C-20--20-Depression-20Indust_fmt.jpeg" href="images/C%20-%20-Depression%20Indust_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="Democracy-20in-20Business-20Dust-20Jacket-20300dpi.jpg" href="images/Democracy%20in%20Business%20Dust%20Jacket%20300dpi.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="P-20--20Look-20into-20the-20futu_fmt.jpeg" href="images/P%20-%20Look%20into%20the%20futu_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="ZV-20--20Titles-20mean-20nothi_fmt.jpeg" href="images/ZV%20-%20Titles%20mean%20nothi_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="ZZZZZ-20--20IBMers-20Study-20a_fmt.jpeg" href="images/ZZZZZ%20-%20IBMers%20Study%20a_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

<item id="ZZZZZ-20--20Keep-20class-20spi_fmt.jpeg" href="images/ZZZZZ%20-%20Keep%20class%20spi_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

</manifest>

<spine toc="ncx">

<itemref idref="Book-Cover"/>

<itemref idref="Authors-Works"/>

<itemref idref="Title-Page"/>

<itemref idref="Copyright-Page"/>

<itemref idref="Dedication-Page"/>

<itemref idref="Table-of-Contents"/>

<itemref idref="Watson-Quote"/>

<itemref idref="An-IBM-Caretakers-Perspective"/>

<itemref idref="A-Historical-Perspective"/>

<itemref idref="Thomas-J-Watson-Sr"/>

<itemref idref="About-Thomas-J-Watson-Sr"/>

<itemref idref="About-the-Author"/>

<itemref idref="Back-Cover"/>

</spine>

<guide>

<reference type="cover" title="Dust Cover" href="images/Democracy%20in%20Business%20Dust%20Jacket%20300dpi.jpg"/>

<reference type="title-page" title="Title Page" href="Title%20Page.html"/>

<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Table%20of%20Contents.html"/>

<reference type="copyright-page" title="Copyright Page" href="Copyright%20Page.html"/>

<reference type="dedication" title="Dedication Page" href="Dedication%20Page.html"/>

<reference type="text" title="First Page of Text" href="Watson%20Quote.html"/>

</guide>

</package>

I have also been trying to get this cover image to display on PC for NOOK but it appears that everyone is having hits problem too. I have followed some trouble shooting guides and renamed the jpg image, Democracy in Business Dust Jacket 300dpi.jpg to cover.jpg but that doesn't seem to work either for NOOK.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. I am new to InDesign (I know you probably hate hearing that, but I have gotten so close to being done overcoming all the new user hurdles). I think this is my last one before uploading to the appropriate sites - PS. I got the cover page to show up on the Kindle but not Adobe's own product.

Thanks

Peter E. Greulich

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

ADE is the last thing I’d use to check an EPUB especially the older release. The newer preview version is better but still not perfect.

Sideload to an iPad to check it in iBooks.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
            Peter Greulich Level 1

Thanks Bob, the cover image displayed fine on the iPad and Kindle and now the NOOK. I have seen the comments everywhere about how poor Adobe Digital Editions is as a previewer, but each platform seems to have its own set of issues. EPUB is just like Java, instead of write once run everywhere, it is write once and test everywhere! I can't seem to do anything to make the cover page show up on ADE. I'll let it go and from now on just assume that it is not the platform to check a cover image on. 

Thanks.

Pete.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
              ebookjunkie

Hi Bob:

For those of us using Windows and without access to an iPad, what would you suggest for proofing InDesign-created ePubs? And there is a list anywhere of known ADE display anomalies? I seem to be experiencing things like incorrect inter-paragraph spacing and links that sometimes don't work.

Thanks

Chris

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
                Peter Greulich Level 1

ebookjunkie, I have just used InDesign to publish two very short "books" (.99 cent variety) and started this thread with the first question. Look to Bob for the expert advice. This is neophyte advice from someone moving from publishing a full book using Word to EPUB/Kindle and now using InDesign to publish to EPUB/Kindle.

First ADE is useless. I say this out of frustration of trying to use it to troubleshoot problems and it has so many problems in displaying an EPUB that you spend a lot of time troubleshooting ADE issues rather than EPUB problems. The problems are not limited to but won't display a cover page properly, text wrapping is iffy, Drop caps a problem, bringing over supported items like drop caps, all small caps, etc.... are also issues as best I can tell. Humble opinion is delete off your desktop. I use the following to troubleshoot my EPUB's/Kindle books on my Windows platform; Calibre, Barnes and Noble's Nook for PC and iPhone iTunes for EPUB (Sigil to look for errors); and for Kindle, Kindle previewer and Kindle for the PC. Even after doing this, I just today saw my book a buyer's Android "Reader" and the pictures did not display at all. So it is publish once and test everywhere! Unfortunately, you just can't test all the possible devices and iterations of readers. (I am from IBM and we couldn't do it, so how publishers are supposed to figure it out is beyond me!)

On the absolutely great news end, you will see a lot of problems about placing images on the iPad with a lot of workarounds. They apparently (Apple) have fixed this as my two publications show images nicely now on both the iPhone and iPad with the iTunes bookshelf/reader. They were "microdots" when viewed previously. I did nothing to fix it and was just not going to publish to the iPAd and just tested them a few weeks ago and they display perfectly. So Apple has fixed the problem. If it looks good on the Nook for PC, it should look good on the iPAD/iPhone now as best I can tell.

Cheers

Peter E. Greulich

Author, Speaker and Publisher

The World's Greatest Salesman and Tom Watson Sr Essays on Leadership

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
                  ebookjunkie Level 1

Peter, thanks for those candid comments, I will give Calibre a try. Good news about IPad display, I wasn't aware that had been a problem.

Chris

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
                    Peter Greulich Level 1

Shoot, I also forgot (this stuff is maddening), when you use the Nook for PC on Windows it will not display your cover page loading it up as my stuff (ie acquired through a non-Barnes and Noble's store). You will find a lot of articles about modifying the front cover in the opf file for the Nook for PC to "cover" but it still won't display when you load it up under "my stuff." Calibre is the one platform that seems to display the cover page properly. For the Nook there was some discussion if Barnes and Noble did this so there was an advantage to buying through them vs. loading it up under "my stuff." Silly if true, but good to know. I still need to see if the cover page displays properly - just not that focused on B&N right now.

Cheers

Peter E. Greulich

Author, Speaker and Publisher

The World's Greatest Salesman and Tom Watson Sr Essays on Leadership

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5.5 EPUB export not showing cover image in Adobe Digital Editions
                      ekonyvolvaso

Hi,

It's very sad to write, but... I spent a long time deeply investigating the habit of CS5.5 epub export. Found some mishaps, but also a lot of potencial over any other sw useful for the same goal (Atlantis Word Processor, Calibre and so on). Let me introduce the verdict in a few words:

-- cover IS in the final epub, no question,

-- by date, most of the reader apps can NOT show the cover (including Sony PRS-650, Nook Touch, Nook for PC, Adobe DE for PC, Aldiko for Android), and only a few (for example, Calibre) are capable to show it,

-- Kindlegen can read and convert the cover.

After many hours trying to fix this problem I found NO solution.

I'm afraid, if all the epub-supporters, including Adobe will not make something really useful in the very close future, they all will be killed by Amazon and the new mobi standard...

Professzore

ekonyvolvaso.blog.hu