1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 2:26 AM by Dave Merchant

more granular security settings?

sfxjhw2

PROBLEM:

(feel free to skip the rant and jump to the question)

It turns out that everytime you make a change to a document your embeded index gets deleted.  You would think that you would just have a search highlight a particular area, and if something changes, you need to update the index but keep the ability to have super-fast searches.  But no, I guess purging the entire document of the index for every small little change is the smartest thing to do ::rolls-eyes::  (I also considered a Full Index, but I really couldn't get anywhere with it.  I see no blogs, faqs or guides that describe what the heck I'm supposed to do with the pdx file.)

So I'm looking for a way to quickly search a document that I am heavily taking notes on.  So I figure I'll make a copy of the doc and embed the index in that one and not make any changes to the copy.  But I don't want to accidently make a change and save it because that will purge my index and the change will be in the wrong place.  So I decide to lock things down.  Read-only wont do because I want to be aware that I'm making changes to the right document (not the copy) at the moment I try, not when I save.  So I try and use acrobat x's security feature.  I turn on security with a password to try and lock it down.  But now I can't embed an index.  Ooops..ran into limitation number #34 with acrobat.  Ok, well what if I relax the security settings, maybe I can get it to embed an index.  If I select "any except extract pages" (in file->document->properties->security)  It works!  Oh, but it looks like now I can edit the document again.  What I would like is to turn off commenting and changes but KEEP the ability to embed the index, but there are only FOUR choices for my security options.   Of the 10 possible document restrictions that acrobat describes there are only FOUR combinations given to the users.   Or at least that I can see; since acrobat has never had a great UI--you would figure further modification of a document's security would be under the 'security' tab, but maybe it's buried deep in some counterintuitive area on tab 5 of submenu 3 in dialog box 4.

QUESTION: IS THERE A WAY TO GET MORE GRANULARITY OUT OF A PDF SECURITY IN ACROBAT SO THAT I CAN DISABLE COMMENTING/CHANGES BUT KEEP THE ABILITY TO EMBED AN INDEX?

I just need this last step to jump through hoop number 3 and I might have a workaround to acrobat issue number #34.

Thanks

jack

• 1. Re: more granular security settings?
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Embedding an index is 'making a change', so you can't have it both ways.

The options on the security dialog are the only route (in Acrobat) to set the document permissions. The ISO PDF standard defines what can and cannot be locked down, and since some of the permissions share the same bit flags, there are only a certain number of allowed combinations.